[SCIFI CITY UPDATE] NEW SCI-FI GAME CONCEPT - My attempt to push Sci-Fi Roblox game design!

tabtextbar_gamedescription

Welcome! You are currently viewing the developer log of a Sci-Fi game targetted toward the future of the Roblox platform. I am Sentross, the lead developer of this project. My goal with this project is to push the limitations of Sci-Fi Roblox game design.

As of right now, this is a solo project.

I will use this post as a little developer log and post my progress here. :slight_smile:

SEE REPLIES FOR UPDATES ON PROGRESS

Update 2: [SCIFI CITY UPDATE] NEW SCI-FI GAME CONCEPT - My attempt to push Sci-Fi Roblox game design! - #6 by Sentross

Update 3: [SCIFI CITY UPDATE] NEW SCI-FI GAME CONCEPT - My attempt to push Sci-Fi Roblox game design! - #7 by Sentross

Update 4: [SCIFI CITY UPDATE] NEW SCI-FI GAME CONCEPT - My attempt to push Sci-Fi Roblox game design! - #10 by Sentross

Update 5: [SCIFI CITY UPDATE] NEW SCI-FI GAME CONCEPT - My attempt to push Sci-Fi Roblox game design! - #11 by Sentross

Update 6: [SCIFI CITY UPDATE] NEW SCI-FI GAME CONCEPT - My attempt to push Sci-Fi Roblox game design! - #20 by Sentross

Update 7: [SCIFI CITY UPDATE] NEW SCI-FI GAME CONCEPT - My attempt to push Sci-Fi Roblox game design! - #21 by Sentross

Update 8: [SCIFI CITY UPDATE] NEW SCI-FI GAME CONCEPT - My attempt to push Sci-Fi Roblox game design! - #26 by Sentross

tabtextbar_update1

– Sentross, Lead Developer of the/this project

72 Likes

Awesome so far!
Especially the lighting on its texture gives some good vibes.

8 Likes

I really like it! Getting some Death Star vibes from the last one!

7 Likes

This looks amazing! Reminds me of the spaceship from the aliens movies!

6 Likes

This is absolutely amazing, great use of color theory and how you spaced out your detail as well as leading lines!

6 Likes

tabtextbar_update2

8/14/2020

Well, it has been a while, but I do want to keep this project on track. I originally intended to use custom mesh characters for this project, but it is too hard to know when the update will come out so I decided to to not use it and use the default Roblox character. While this is a set back as my intention was to push Roblox game design to its max and make the game look like an “outside of Roblox game”, the Roblox default character will have to do for now.

I decided to use some armor I modeled in Blender a while back for a now unfinished project. I will reuse and repurpose these armors in this game to save my self-time and effort.

While they are not exactly like my original vision, I am sure or I am somewhat confident they will fit in and match the aesthetic of the game well. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

tabtextbar_update3

8/15/2020

I am concepting a SciFi Spaceship Bridge in Blender. It has not been detailed yet, but I will soon import it into Roblox Studio and then detail it. :slight_smile:

Here are some images for now.

Cycles Viewport Image/Screenshot:

18 Likes

whats the performance like :open_mouth:

4 Likes

So far very good, it uses future lighting and I am on 10 graphics and it runs fine. So turning it does should keep performance in check. I am heavily utilizing meshes so the overall tri count comes out pretty low, actually very low.

5 Likes

tabtextbar_update4

8/25/2020

Hey there! Thank you for reading this and checking out this developer log and the progress of this game. If you are interested in the project and want to stay updated on the game’s progress, change this post from “Normal” to “Watching”.

As this game progresses, I am improving the overall professionalism of the project. I have reformatted the original post on this topic with a more professional look/vibe with a WIP game banner. (A temporary game banner for now.)

More progress is being made including the development of the game UIs. I will be posting sneak peeks of these and the rest of the game’s progress soon in this topic/thread. Stay tuned!

6 Likes

8/26/2020

Hello there! I have a question for the community, how much would you pay for a pro subscription? To be clear, if I were to implement a pro subscription for the game, it would not create a pay to win situation/game.

A pro subscription could be a steady and stable monetization method, and I would like to implement one (one that wouldn’t affect the gameplay or create a pay to with situation/scenario/game) It’d mainly have a lot of customization features, early access to information about the game, it’s future, it’s progress, it’s updates, etc. when they enter the game, etc.

How much would you pay for this? I would think most people would be willing to page 250-500 Robux a month? Or is it lower like 100-125 Robux a month?

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers the question!

3 Likes

tabtextbar_update5

8/27/2020

Today I started focusing on the game concept a bit more. I am starting to make decisions like what this game will be about, what the goal will be, what potential market I will try to target, etc. I am currently also working on some of the city parts/pieces by concepting some styles.

I’ve also made progress on the game’s UI designs and UI styles which I will probably be revealing/posting shortly or soon.

Also if anyone is reading this, I would very much appreciate it if anyone could answer this question that I posted/from the previous day.

4 Likes

Look’s AMAZING! But I wonder the amount of parts the build has :thinking:

4 Likes

Thanks! Performance is a big focus on mine. On the code side, I keep everything short, minimal and optimized. On the building side, I am heavily using 3D models, so the triangle count is actually significantly less then making the same object within Roblox Studio. :slight_smile:

The whole scene now is around 6000 tris without culling or LODs.

3 Likes

When is the game coming out? It looks amazing.

2 Likes

I recently began work on it. I am concepting out the game idea more and the styles. I am trying to continue progress and get some/some stuff done every week, however, I can not predict a release date right now/atm.

However, as this game also relies on a lot of Roblox’s newest features, not only is dependent on my own ability to complete the game in a certain time frame, but I am also dependent on Roblox’s ability to complete the features on the Roadmap and implement into the platform. :slight_smile:

Also, thanks for the compliment. I am glad you find the game appealing.

3 Likes

As a very big fan of Sci-Fi related games, movies, and books, I have to say that this looks absolutely fantastic. I can’t wait to see where this game goes! Keep up the good work!

4 Likes

Great to hear! Sci-Fi games are very popular on the Roblox platform, but I’ve noticed that the actual concept of these games are usually limited. I would really love to create a Sci-Fi themed game with a concept not before seen on the platform. (In other words, I don’t just want to make another FPS or a typical game with a Sci-Fi twist, I really want to immerse a player into the Sci-Fi world so they can feel the atmosphere and environment surrounding and around them.)

I appreciate your support! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Completely agree, not many Sci-Fi games on the platform really push the limits and deliver a breath-taking experience that can be seen in other games outside of Roblox. I love the feeling of being completely immersed in a Sci-Fi world, being able to feel the effects of gravity on your character, or lack there of. A lot goes into making a immersive Sci-Fi game, and I hope to see your game really deliver that breath-taking experience. Good luck!

4 Likes

Update on the game progress

Hey everyone, I usually like to post these updates with an optimistic tone, however, today I am writing this post containing bad news.

When I began this game, my goal was to push Roblox’s graphics to the max, but I did have a personal goal. I really wanted to this to look like a game you’d seen come out of a more visually stunning engine, but sadly I don’t believe I am able to meet this goal anymore.

I’ve barely begun the development of the game and I’ve already run into several engine limitations. I am unable to execute my vision with the current toolset.

Why did you start this project if you already knew Roblox was a very limited engine graphically?

Originally, I began this project a while back in June when Roblox was looking more promising than ever. I sadly relied a little bit too much on the roadmap. As many developers are aware, sadly Roblox was unable to meet the majority of the roadmap goals. Now it seems they are just barely trying to get features like PBR texturing and mesh deformation squeezed in, but at the end of the day, even if the core of features are implemented, Roblox will lack the necessary toolsets to use them efficiently.

At this pace, I find it fair to predict Roblox will take at least another year or 2 before actually meeting the goals many developers thought they would meet this year. I personally think it’d be a bad idea if I halted this project till then as, by the time a year or 2 passes, I may no longer want to work on this game.

What does this mean for the future?

Well, I guess what started out as mostly a passion project with ambitious goals is turning into more of a profit-focused project. I know it doesn’t sound ideal, but I don’t want to bother trying to make it look as good as possible if I can only execute part of my vision. It’d feel choppy to me. My goal now is simply to make it more visually appealing than the average Roblox game.

tl;dr

• My goals for this project were sadly too reliant on features Roblox doesn’t have.
  • My goals for this project were a bit too ambitious.
  • My goals have changed from making the best game I can possibly create to making a for-profit game.
  • My goal still is to make it look more visually appealing than the average Roblox game.

Sorry for the bad news,
– Sentross

7 Likes