SCPF || Area - 14 Update Notes

April 10th, 2020 Update

Additions

• Two new death screen messages. One attributed to Will10188.

• Subtle heartbeat sound plays when the respawn timer reaches 5 seconds.

Improvements & Changes

• Update log caught up to date: merged the first 3 patches after HCZ release into patch 3.20.3.

• Internal upgrades to client loading procedures.

• Scientific Department colour changed from grey to pastel orange for better distinction between teams in player name tags and the spectate window.

• Timer now accurately counts respawn time, in the case that it changes in the future.

• Organised credits by roles for better browsing.

• IA and FS can no longer open the facility entrance bulkhead.

• Character jump power lowered (50 → 40).

Fixes

• Attempted to stop ammo counter from spamming the console.

• SCP-106 death screen should stop showing outside of SCP-106 interactions.

Removals

• Custom emotes turned off.

Service Announcement - SCP-106 Removal

I’m temporarily pulling SCP-106 out of Area-14 due to an influx of crashes and exploiters. I apologise for the inconveniences caused during this time, as well as to the Scientific Department for this temporary loss. We will work to fix it as soon as possible.

Edit: We have attempted a fix and re-added SCP-106.

Service Announcement - SCP-106 Removal [2]

SCP-106 has been pulled from Area 14 again, as a recent publish had mistakenly reactivated it. In addition, I’ve changed the Scientific Department’s role colour to better fit their uniforms and majorly-held rank. These changes will be going up immediately.

Service Announcement - Upgrades & Inconveniences

Hey all. This is a heads up about an incoming patch to Area 14. No log, but here are the details.

I believe that I’ve found the cause for several systems not working. Area 14 admittedly relies on, in some cases, very archaic code practices, so our patch against the player crash exploit (that in itself didn’t work since the crash relied on a different replicator object) in turn broke other systems. I’ve removed that case in lieu of Roblox’s patch against the crash.

Given that the reported time period was supposedly 2 weeks, this coincides with the released fix. I am not quite sure if the changes I’ve made will fix systems, so the situation will be monitored after the server is closed to try and further investigate. We updated code to protect against future band-aid patches like this so there should not have been any issue with, for example, team changing.

In other news, I’ve plucked around at optimising code. For starters, I’ve changed the main menu so that it stops using computer resources after it finishes. You will see virtually no difference to the loading screen and that’s good. For the developers in our community not in MaD who want to hear how things went down:

• The loading screen now only uses only 1 LocalScript instead of 5.
  • The dot tween went from its own script to two lines using TweenService.
  • Scripts now clean up unused objects and variables when they are not running
  • Did you know? The loading screen was always still active after you loaded in. It was just invisible.

Service Announcement - Team Changing Issue

Hey all, I’ve finally been able to isolate the problem regarding team changing. Long story short, we’re exceeding API limits when getting MTF data. MTF isn’t to blame, just another knock on what I said earlier about relying on archaic coding practices. I’m going to have to write a Trello API from ground up, so that’s lovely! :pensive:

I hope to publish an update to Area 14 that will fix the issue once and for all. This will hopefully also be followed with less network traffic, among other benefits. The aim is within the next two days. Aim, not guarantee.

For the programmers out there in our community: remember to cache information, but flush your caches every now and again. Caches are good for reducing network calls and not exceeding API limits especially if you’re just getting a collection. Be flexible in your clear time: not too short, but not too long.

1 Like

April 21st, 2020 Update

Hey all. I attempted a few patches and, confirming that situational music is now all good except for conflicting site statuses, have added tracks to the following protocols:

Protocol Blackout
Track: Eerie
Album: Crime - Tense Moments
Library: Bruton TV Series

Protocol White Drop
Track: Cobalt C
Album: Hybrid Percussive Tracks
Library: Sonoton Trailer Tracks Vanguard

Protocol Dog Track
Track: Cobalt A

Protocol Knife Cut
Track: Chaos Raiding
Album: Area-14 OST by Ertinos
Library: N/A

Protocol Red Fox
Track: Breach
Album: Espionage
Library: Must Save Jane

O5 Protocols & Lethal Gas Protocol
Track: Evacuation
Album: Area-14 OST by Ertinos
Library: N/A

These are all ordered by priority, first being least and bottom being greatest. A song with higher priority will not play over one with lower. For example, Lethal Gas Protocol music cannot be interrupted by the Ambience, but the main menu music will cancel out all other tracks. All subject to change; we have an awesome composer, after all.

Acknowledging this update, I will work towards getting that settings tab (or at least a music toggle) going. That’s all for goodies; more bug fixes, optimisations and such are coming your way. :v:

Apparently teams are still problematic, so I will revisit them when I can.

April 21st, 2020 Update

This one consists of a few (mostly) back-end stuff.

- Implementation of the Activity Leaderboard:
This is a new system that allows us to collect certain activity information regarding players. Such as: Time played in the last X days, time played in general, top player (activity-wise) etc. This will allow for a better overview of activity when it comes to specific personnel, or group-wide.

- Implementation of the Personnel Activity Manager:
This system brings back the “activity-logs” channel in every departmental Discord server. It shows when a player is signing on, and off. It also shows the amount of time played during the specific session. This allows departments to have a better overview of activity when it comes to their own personnel, allowing for better choices when it comes to promotions, as well as exciting new contests and competitions.

- Implementation of the A-1 Notifier:
The A-1 notifier will notify available A-1 units (off-site) when a VIP (L-4+) joins the game.

- Implementation of the MTF Pager:
The MTF pager allows personnel to remotely page Sigma-9 or Beta-7 units in case they are needed. This allows MTF to remain off-site and still be made aware, live, of any events going on site. For example, if there is a CD riot or someone roaming in the CZs, personnel are able to page Sigma-9 units for assistance. If there is a containment breach or a test awaiting B-7 at the checkpoint, personnel are able to page Beta-7 units for assistance. we also added a semi-tablet terminal at the checkpoint for easy paging.

The page command prompt is page <sigma/beta> <reason> and can be accessed by any Class B personnel.

— Administrator_Mr

Some additional items from my end:

- Soundtrack additions and modifications

Protocol White Drop
Track: Threat Alert C

Protocol Dog Track
Track: Threat Alert A

- Keybind addition
Press the comma/left-pointing arrow bracket key twice to mute or unmute music (immediate change). This keybind will function regardless of game state for convenience and UX’s sake

- Other small optimisations:
They’re in the background, you won’t notice them (which is good).

— colbert2677

And I’m back again with more.

- Loadout upgrades:
There have been some changes to player loadouts. Please review suggestion 2239 for more details about the changes that have been pushed. Some updates from this are not currently live as we evaluate the code and where we can make additions: for example, some specials may appear as alternate primaries for now. Yeah, SRU I see you over there, happy about your Vector back.

Extra changes include:

• Removal of suppressor from Glock 18 for non-IA. That’s a privileged item. :vaultdab:
  • MTF O5s can now equip tools natively on MTF without the console command.
  • P30 Blackreaper is now “P30L”. Mag size increased to 15 (+1). Damage is now averaged 4 shots from 6.
  • Glock 17’s damage min has been raised by 4, max by 2. Damage is now averaged 6 shots from 8.
  • Vulcan is no more. It’s still in the game but cannot be used by anyone.
  • MD have medkits now. You may not act as Combat Medics, that is grounds for disciplinary action from the Ethics Committee.

- Music keybind fix attempts:
Title. Removed M as a keybind because comma works.

- MTF data fetch fix:
I’ve completely written the backend for the MTF Trello to be future proof and hopefully devoid of any errors. We were running into some issues with the host platform, so we’re now using improved code that’ll better the process of getting data for MTF Operatives.

Will be logged as 3.22.0.

— colbert2677

Service Announcement - MTF Data Issue

Thank you all for your extended cooperation and patience everyone and once again, apologies for the massive amounts of issues and server closures recently. I will better prepare myself to prevent this from happening ever again; and reducing the time it takes to resolve critical issues.

After a grueling three hours of work writing and rewriting the backend for MTF data, reevaluating my investigation progress and some help from splinter, I have finally patched the MTF info fetching bug for good. This also means that no one else should be having team problems. I can now move on to addressing other areas of concern, such as the loadout update.

April 22nd, 2020 Update

Additions

• 3.22.0 has been added to the Update Logs in the menu.

• Special slot now added: Alpha-1 and Beta-7, as per Suggestion 2239, can now carry 3 weapons.

Improvements & Changes

• Glock 18 damage ceiling lowered by 7.5%.

• M1911 damage ceiling lowered by 8%, damage floor raised by 15%.

• M1911 gun sound changed, hopefully it sounds less like a pea shooter now.

• (April 22nd, 2020) MK11 fire rate increased by 36%.

Removals

• All versions before 3.10.0 no longer show.

April 23rd, 2020 Update

Improvements & Changes

• Class D may only return out to the menu every 5 minutes. Complaints about tripping TB-A should be less too.

• Due to equipment accommodations, inventory slot counts were increased by one for everyone.

• Various improvements to MK11 gameplay performance.

• Glock 18 damage ceiling lowered by 3 points. Damage average 7 → 8.4 shots.

• HCZ-BCZ access area no longer starts as open when a new server begins, removing the need for the first MTF to a server to close it upon signing in.

Removals

• Disabled in progress Vials V6 V2 code that was sending errors to console upon joining.

April 24th, 2020 Update

Improvements & Changes

• Updated the team kill user interface.

• The Orange crew now have access to a Glock-18 during authorised riots.

• The Orange Crew now have access to an exclusive shirt badge to differentiate them from regular Class D.

Fixes

• Fixed a bug where users had to re-join for permissions to update.

Service Announcement - Riot Changes

An authorised TOC riot was tested (successfully), we’ve now fully implemented in-game functionality.

Please note that Eve riots are officially discontinued and replaced by authorised TOC riots. On that note, all Eve riots regulations now fully apply to TOC riots (no lockdowns, no engaging inside TSC etc). How to recognise a TOC riot? There’ll be a supervising Level 4 in-game to announce it when the riot starts, and well, TOC members will have Glock 18s .

— Administrator_Mr

May 2nd, 2020 Update

Additions

• Added TEC-9 for The Orange Crew. Similar to the Glock 17, except exchanging damage for speed.

Improvements & Changes

• MK11 fire rate decreased by around 0.1 seconds, slightly faster now.

• Vector is now smaller.

Fixes

• Leftover yellow handles on guns removed.

Service Announcement - Application Comments

You will now be able to see the entire comment that was made on your application. :upside_down:

— Administrator_Mr

1 Like

Service Announcement - Referrals

:(

— Administrator_Mr

1 Like

Update Teaser

I’m writing to let you know that development has picked up some pace and we have some really cool updates planned. You should all know that these things take time and some updates may come sooner than others, so I ask you all to be patient. For now here’s a quick pic from a cool update that’s planned (some updates will come out before it :P):

— Administrator_Mr

Update Teaser

— Administrator_Mr (& Spearritt)

May 11th, 2020 Update

Improvements & Changes

• TEC-9 now has an automatic firing cycle.

• Shield combos can now only be activated with secondary weapons.

• Class A can enjoy their own clothes on-site, any team, with the “Character Clothes” uniform option.

Service Announcement - Update Delay

We’ve tackled a lot of issues and found that there was a lot more content to provide the community with to rekindle your interest in Area-14.

Although we hoped for the patch to have dropped earlier, it seems we just couldn’t hold back with adding more so we’ll be taking some extra time before this patch actually gets released. We hope that we’ll have brought a significant amount to the table that you can look forward to and you have that future guarantee as well.

Service Announcement - Application Center Maintenance

We’re currently investigating issues relating to applications not successfully saving. This does not happen in all instances, so, don’t let this put you off writing an application.

Update (12:58 BST 20 May 2020)
We’ve detected an error relating to an internal module at the application center.

Update (15:38 BST 20 May 2020)
While we try to further source this issue, we’ve disabled review functionality. More information for the relevant individuals can be found in #medium_command

Update (17:49 BST 20 May 2020)
I’ve found the issue and released a fix. Services should resume as normal in new servers. Sorry about the delays!

— Spearritt