Script Editor - Semantic Highlighting and Temporary Tabs are now in Beta!

Am I blind? I am proud to be able to advance further!

So this is what has been happening to my Studio the last few days.

Is there a way to disable this? It’s actually super annoying.

1 Like

Some scripts are labeled with the AssetID URL instead of the name of the script.

(I apologize for the code smell in advanced, was working on re-doing some games from 2010-2012)

I got the same issue here! I had Extra 2 theme before enabling the beta feature. After I enabled the feature all of the keywords are black now…

1 Like

Just spitballing an idea here - but what if there was an option to change it to right click (or a custom keybind :eyes:), so that when you right click a script it’ll open the normal right click menu but also shows the script preview? It would make sense in my mind as a workflow because it lets us quickly see the script while also bringing up the options menu to do thing to said script.

1 Like

I do like the changes, but while we’re on the topic of editor appearance could you consider my (rather isolated) issue

Really cool features!

A quick bug I noticed, however, is that when you hold control and press backspace to delete full words, the line highlight becomes incorrect until I press another key.

I pressed control + backspace twice to delete “Test Comment,” and the highlight moved down by two lines.

1 Like

I can’t find this in my studio settings. I have enabled the syntax highlighting beta feature so I am very confused. Thanks in advance!!! :smile:
Edit: I would like to specify that I am looking for the new themes everything else is working fine.

Is there a way to disable Temporary Tabs yet?, it is really disrupting my workflow and really annoyed me when I tried deleting an old script as it kept opening it when I clicked on it once. In my opinion temporary tabs should be off by default and only be enabled if the developer wants it.

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback @bostaffmanbulgaria1, you can actually re-open a closed Script using Ctrl+Shift+t which is also customizable

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback @FxllenCode, we’ll add an option to disable Temporary Tabs in order to avoid disrupting your workflow. There was a bug where selecting the Script in the Explorer doesn’t actually move the focus to the Explorer but that should be fixed soon. Not sure if that helps but thank you for the feedback :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s on our future roadmap, we just can’t promise when…

4 Likes

Yes! Go to Beta Features, scroll to the bottom and look for “Script Editor Beta Features”

1 Like

Really sorry to hear that @JetUpNy, that was a bug which we’re currently fixing such that selecting a Script in the Explorer and deleting it should work. Let us know if you have any other feedback :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the bug report @hellhawk, we have a fix for this that should be pushed out shortly!

3 Likes

You can disable the beta feature by going to File > Beta Features and scrolling to find “Script Editor Beta Features”. Do you have any suggestions on how we can improve your workflow with temporary tabs?

3 Likes

Hi @DevChris, thank you for the feedback :slight_smile: We’ll be looking to make fonts customizable in the Script Editor in the future but in the meantime you may be able to change the Script Editor font to an “Italic” font or download an Italic font on your OS that you can use in the Script Editor

2 Likes

The new themes are part of the Script Editor Color Presets section in Studio Settings. They are automatically updated!

3 Likes

In the meantime you can go to Beta Features, scroll to the bottom and look for “Script Editor Beta Features" where you can uncheck the box to disable Temporary Tabs

3 Likes

Temporary tabs seems to me like a feature that would be better suited in the form of a widget as opposed to something that covers the screen. I see more use docking the temporary tab viewer to my side bar, almost like a minimap, rather than having it steal the focus of my viewport.

3 Likes