Script Profiler Duration

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to rely on the script profiler to get measurements for consistent time periods, or knowing what time period was sampled.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because it would allow me to take advantage of the script profiler’s convenience to quickly measure performance impacts.

The new script profiler tool is awesome, I love it. However, it’s not possible to sample for a specific amount of time, and the amount of time that the profiler actually ran for isn’t listed.

Some examples of things that could be excellent improvements in this regard:

• Similar to the server side Microprofiler, the ability to sample for a specific duration would be excellent.
  • The ability to display average timings would be excellent too. If the duration of the sampling was 5 seconds, being able to see how much time was spent on average would be awesome for quickly comparing performance data more precisely.
  • The units of timings currently has to be picked before sampling. It would be awesome if you could select automatic units too. It’d also be awesome if you could change the units of a sample you’ve already done.
  • The ability to export the data from the script profiler would be awesome too. For example, a button to spit out a CSV file to your logs so you can save and easily review data in different pieces of software. (CSV files would honestly be great for this since they can be loaded into spreadsheet software e.g. Google Sheets)

I have found that the script profiler is an awesome tool for determining what particular scripts and modules would benefit the most from optimizations, and it has done a lot for me that the Microprofiler hasn’t by being much lighter, and quicker/easier to use. It is awesome for getting rough data at a glance, and I think it would be even more powerful if I could have more fine tuned data from it so I can quickly take many snapshots and compare performance information.

3 Likes