Script view in Studio performance drop with new highlighter

Please follow the format in How to post a Bug Report

When opening a new script tab or switching between any open script tab studio briefly freezes for 1-2 seconds. This occurs even if the tab being switched too was viewed previously. This is consistent across all of my devices & hardware and effects the speed of my work.

The issue occurs in the latest Studio build and started happening immediately when the new Semantic Script Highlighting feature was released.

(Unfortunately I can’t get a clear video of this occurring at the moment but I’ll try later)

System specs of two devices I tested with:
Device 1:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3200G 3.5 GHz (Overclocked @ 3.75 GHz)
  • GPU: AMD RX 570
  • RAM: 16 GB
  • Freeze times 1-2 seconds

Device 2:

• CPU: Intel i5-6200U 2.4 GHz
  • GPU: Intel Integrated GPU
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • Freeze times: 1-2 seconds
4 Likes

If you opt out of the semantic highlighting beta feature, does the freeze stop happening?

I just disabled the feature to test this and I didn’t get freezing after restarting, but after reenabling the beta feature and testing again I was still not getting freezing. Upon further testing, it appears that every time a new unique script tab is created the time it takes for a script to load (switching tabs, or opening a new one) gets slightly longer with the beta feature on.

I tested this with the beta feature off and was not experiencing any slow down at all even after opening all of the scripts in my game.

New repro steps:

1. Open a place with a lot of scripts with complex coloring (e.g. a template place with some code), and then pick a script and remember it. Open it, and then close it.
  2. Start opening scripts (that aren’t your chosen script) and pay attention to the time it takes for them to be colored (The time will start getting slower and slower with the beta feature on)
  3. Right click a script tab and click “Close all”
  4. Try opening your chosen script and pay attention to the time it takes for that one to open
  5. Toggle the beta feature and repeat this process with the same chosen script to see the difference

Could you post a video and/or a repro place? I’m not seeing this behavior even when I generate and open dozens of scripts.

To be clear, it is expected behavior that there is a frame or two (typically - more for a very long script) between opening a new script and that script being syntax highlighted. That’s simply the nature of asynchronous syntax highlighting.

However, if this delay grows, or if Studio freezes while the highlights are being computed, that’s definitely a serious issue. I’m not seeing that behavior when I try it myself though.

1 Like

I’ll PM you a video of it occurring in the place I’m working on where this is occurring more prominently (I don’t want my code to be public)

I am in the process of checking over bug reports and following up on some bugs that haven’t received any activity in a while.
Is this issue still occurring or can you confirm that this bug has been resolved?

This bug is still happening, the lag can become horrible, resulting in not being able to type in scripts and slow switching.

I am also still experiencing this issue. It seems to be taking longer to start becoming noticeable (maybe that’s just by chance), but, the issue is still absolutely there and requires a full restart of studio to resolve. (Aka, switching between two places still has the issue persist)

I have to restart studio around every hour or so of use, even in small places.