Scrolling effect for text that exceeds the width of Text Containers

It would be really useful if there was some sort of a built-in scrolling/sliding effect for text that exceeds the limits of text containers such as TextLabels, TextButtons, TextBoxes, etc…

A great example of this effect can be viewed here.

Addition of this effect would make creating UI, that is compatible on all platforms, easier.

Toggling this effect would solve those situations where there is a conflict between AutomaticSize, TextWrapped, TextTruncate and other UI Constraints, meaning that the effect:

• Should be done in the label itself, the label’s size or position doesn’t change, the text itself does.
  • Should respect UI constraints, for example: UIPadding should change the border where the effect starts and where it end.
  • Should listen to MaxVisibleGraphemes. (Effect playback should be determined only by visible text)
  • On toggle, should set TextWrapped to true, set TextTruncate to None, set TextScaled to false and limit the text container to one line only.

(Also, it would be great if the effect is customizable, example: having the ability to set easing styles, delay times between effect direction changes, effect speeds, etc…)

3 Likes

Do you mean something that looks like this?

If so, it seems like something roblox won’t add because it’s easy for developers to add. You can use UIPadding to scroll the text so you don’t need an extra container for the label.

3 Likes

or just create a beam with the text as the image

1 Like

Thats a really bad idea, but sure :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I love this idea! This would be a really nice thing to use to make UI look better.

1 Like

Sure, that might be the case, but as long as it’s useful to developers, it should at least be considered.

There could be a potential conflict with UIPadding and AutomaticSize in this solution. I came up with this whole idea because of those said conflicts while making UI for my game.

I am recommending an effect which would work with the Text itself, not the label, meaning that the effect should support UIConstraint such as UIPadding for example, moving the Text, and the effect with it, which couldn’t really be done with just UIPadding while also supporting it’s functions. There is way more to this whole thing than just the text moving effect.

1 Like