ScrollingFrame Changes

it’s the same with all the layouts, while the code to scale it correctly is pretty simple it is annoying there is no in-built way to make it use the actual size of the frame.

Ah, perfect. I’ve been using ScrollingFrames a lot recently, and I’m sure this will be a nice upgrade.

These changes sound great! :smile:

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for your amazing feedback! To address some of the questions that have come up:

We have no plans to introduce developer controls for the scroll smoothness, sorry! We’d prefer to keep the feel of this consistent across Roblox.

This is on our list of things to fix, but I don’t have an ETA right now.

We’ve discussed this feature internally but it got deprioritized because we weren’t sure how much demand there was for it :frowning: Please open a feature request so we can get a better idea of how popular this is!

This would be a setting that users can set in the in-game menu, not as a setting that developers can control, to be clear.

This sounds like your trackpad does not support pointer actions - do you have the advanced trackpad controls for your camera available? It should behave pretty smoothly if they’re supported.

Our input pipeline doesn’t support this type of input right now - we can’t tell the difference between a linear scroll wheel and a stepped (clicky) one currently. It’s possible that this could improve in the future, but I’m not sure how much information we get from the OS/your mouse drivers about this, so it may not be possible.

It will not, sorry! We plan to fix this in a future update but it’s been somewhat tricky to get right. Soon™.

We actually have a ticket internally for implementing this behavior! I (again) can’t provide an ETA but it would be an option that you can toggle on the scrolling frame that would size children against the scrolling frame’s size, not the canvas size.

11 Likes

I’m thoroughly thrilled that ROBLOX is taking time to improve ScrollingFrames. They play a huge role in UI design and, with me using them more frequently, I’ve came across multiple bugs that will hopefully be fixed. Thanks!

Love it! I can do the Scrolling Frame smoother! :slight_smile:

These updates are really helping out!

This happens with rotated text in a scrollingframe, I think this isn’t supposed to be so.

4 Likes

This is because ClipsDescendants does not work with non-0 rotation. This isn’t related nor exclusive to ScrollingFrames, or this update.

3 Likes

Not sure if the twitching of that GUI is because of this update, but I’ve only just now noticed this behavior. I can make the TextLabel way longer than it needs to be and this still happens.

3 Likes

How about adding scrolling bar scalable box so it could be scaled on all devices?
Just like with text where is scale box that you can check.

2 Likes

I didn’t want to essentially make a duplicate post about this so I’ll cite this post which I believe is a bug as I remember horizontal scrolling with the mouse wheel being a feature prior to this update.

The layout changes are now enabled. You may need to restart old sessions for them to take effect. Please report any issues you encounter!

2 Likes

Finally! It’ll look even better!

There is nothing better than good and smooth scrolling that makes the the experience much better!

These changes are disabled due to an issue with the developer console; we’ll look at resolving these. The next date that this will go live is May 6th.

2 Likes

The layout changes described in the original post have been re-enabled. You may need to restart any open Studio/player windows for the changes to take effect. Please report any issues you notice with scrolling frames!

EDIT: These have been temporarily disabled and will return in a few weeks.

3 Likes

Hell yeah! Been looking forward to this

Why do we need so many UI Changes?

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.