Searching up keywords in the "Models" section in "Toolbox" will result with spammed/botted models

Earlier today and as of now, searching up free models inside the “Model” section of toolbox with keywords such as “Noob”, “Pine Tree” or anything that is developed enough for it to be a model.

This bug has started happening earlier today in the afternoon or maybe a couple of days ago and it happens within the Toolbox tab/section inside studio when you’re looking up models/images.

^ It doesn’t occur in the meshes, images, and plugins section/tab which is strange in my opinion.

Videos of the bug:

Videos:

Steps to reproduce:

• Open up studio and open up the Toolbox tab.
  • Search up anything such as “Noob” or “Pine Tree”
  • You should see models named the same but spammed.

This will seriously affect some newer and current developers when searching up models/scripts that they can’t make and have to use it as a replacement, I don’t know if the rumors are true but some might have “viruses” to infect the game.

Yesterday and the past couple of weeks, I would just see normal models made by regular users/developers whenever I search up anything and now I see spammed/useless models by alternative accounts or bots.

^ To me, the search engine is broken at the moment and causing this to happen. :man_shrugging:

Sorry if I couldn’t find a similar topic for this, remind me and send a link to the topic in messages.

3 Likes

This isn’t a bug, the spammed models you see are botted models containing scripts that give users backdoor access to your game.

If you payed closer attention each model was owned by a different username.

I’m just re-iterating the point as this is not a studio bug this is a moderation issue with botted models.

3 Likes

I did pay closer attention, and when I did again, I saw that most of the models were made from the same user in one keyword while the other one did but only with 2 models.

I know that it’s botted models, hence I put it in the title and described it in the topic; but for the scripts, none of the models that I’ve inspected had any form of script that looked suspicious, I’m going to put up a video that shows the botted models with most of them having the same owner:

Video:

Seems like a studio bug + moderation as this has appeared again for the 2nd time in the past 2 ~ 3 years if I recall correctly?

I literally just did this myself[Pine Tree] and the first model I inserted there was a suspicious script with backdoor code. These aren’t bugged models, you can delete the models from your public inventory even tho’ you own them so they won’t show up in your public inventory through your profile. But they will still exist and only accessible through Create tab then Models category or through marketplace/library. It’s one of the methods these bots do to make it harder to gather the assets that they distribute.

Unfortunately, this has been ongoing over the past few years. Not only is this prevalent in the toolbox, but also on the Roblox platform itself, in areas such catalogue and library. Honestly, botted/spammed assests have taken away most of my encouragement to use the toolbox anymore. Not much has been done to reduce this irritating issue, fallowed by it malicious scripts and whatnot. The chances of backdoors are a huge concern for younger developers, and the toolbox is pretty much a trap, bound to lure you there. What concerns me is the lack of action, it’s obvious that the amount of botted things are way too high across the entire platform to wait any longer!

1 Like

I’m not sure if that haven’t fixed this yet.

But lets not forget how you can make it cost robux for a plugin and what these people do is get the source file through their studio plugin folder, modify it to add a backdoor while also working as it should and re-releases it for free.

There’s not much point in reporting these if you don’t have repro steps, and if you do you should use @Exploit_Reports. Just Report Abuse the models or pass it to info@roblox.com if reporting is inconvenient. Not a Studio Bug, just people gaming the search relevance system.

3 Likes

The thing is how is it possible to report all of these models when there is such a large variety. Also, if you don’t mind me asking, does the toolbox have an algorithm that priorities repeated words, or is it just somewhat inaccurate?

I think he’s referencing to when you type “Sign”, for example, it used to come up with relevant models, now it is full of these

Not a bug, at least not the bug you say it is is relevant, the issue where pressing enter makes a carriage return (\r) has leaked into studio search box as well.

Clicking the search icon rather than pressing enter will show better results because doing it manually rather than pressing enter doesn’t append the carriage return, that is also why when you pressed enter there was a space.

Searching without pressing enter:

Searching with pressing enter:

(notice the arrow)
So for now to get better results click the magnifying glass after done typing your query and you will get better results.

5 Likes

How did I notice about the space in between the keyword and “:”? Must not been that awake and tired during the time when making the bug report and testing out what was going on with toolbox.

Darn, I’m not used to or adjusted to clicking the magnifying glass icon as I usually just press the Enter key a lot when searching inside the toolbox.

Well, this will work for now, and hopefully, they fix the issue with the topic you’ve shown me, thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Dude, it’s because for some reason everyone is having this bug. When you type something and press enter in the toolbox, it adds an extra space after it. Here is the thread for it: Hitting enter in a textbox places a carriage return before finalizing input (broken again) - #78 by Criminimin

Thanks for the reports everyone! We are currently investigating and fixing this!!

3 Likes

We have fixed the issue. Please restart Studio for the changes to go into effect!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.