Selection Improvements

This might be helpful to your question about the limits regarding the highlights since I was curious about this as well.

slightly unrelated to the reply:
Although since they share the same characteristics with highlights and they do work with invisible / transparent parts above* .05 transparency, I’m curious if highlights will also gain that addition?

3 Likes

THANK YOU. This has been a nightmare when working with meshes overlapping each other in the past…

WWWW

Goated update to start the new year with

2 Likes

I don’t know in detail whether it was created with this update or not, but it is predicted that it is a way to select parts in a group using raycasting when Alt+Click is clicked. Therefore, if disable CanCollide and CanQuery of the part want to select in the group and click Alt+Click, the part behind will be selected. Is this intended?

2 Likes

Hello, is this also possible with selection box?

4 Likes

I love this change, but it can do with some improvements.

See: Selection Improvements [Beta] - #40 by LaAeroooo

2 Likes

Finally some good updates. I do not have any questions about this update, It seems clear to me.

I only have one question, When will Local Currency And Other Console updates coming?

1 Like

Absolutely amazing, now we’ll easily be able to see what we have selected when working with parts that are close together/over lapping.

1 Like

It would be much better if the hitbox wasnt box because if i want to select something behind it i get tricked since i clicked on something behind but the selection box is on the tree and not the hitbox.

Also it should be a setting to enable it to be box or not.

Yeah, its affected by the 31 limit

but finally they fixed transparent parts bug

This 100%. It gets confusing very easily, especially when you’re used to the old highlights disappearing as they get behind a part. For example, I can’t easily tell the position of the seat I’m moving relative to the floor here

Also this

I would definitely prefer the old way to select textures (First alt-click selects the part. Alt-clicking a texture on a selected part will select the texture)

Otherwise, I really like this update!

18 Likes

I love this new selector, I prefer Highlights than selectionboxes because it looks fancier

I have a question though: Why can Highlight go over transparent parts whereas the instance behavior doesn’t?

I mean, I wanna use the highlight in the exact same way you are using it, but can’t because it doesn’t handle transparent parts.

What you could do is add a behavior that makes the highlight:

• Highlight transparent parts (from transparency between [0;1] ) if the Adornee is a part alone
  • Not highlight a fully transparent part if the Adornee is a model

Here is the current rendering in ROBLOX studio

Model with an invisible collide part

Partially & totally transparent part

As you can see, every parts are highlighted at all time. It’s good for the SpawnLocation as we want to select it, but it can be avoided in the model don’t you think so (for that said collider part)

Here is the current rendering using Highlight instance

Model with an invisible collide part

Partially and totally transparent part

As you can see, the model looks nice but the part alone doesn’t since the highlight instance doesn’t cover partially transparent parts, nor totally transparent ones

I’ve made a topic about changing the whole behavior of the Highlight instance a while ago (here), and I made a poll about what behavior people would like to have, here is the result:

I think you should consider making us able to replicate this behavior, and even maybe use what I said to make the selection.

The highlight part is a really good instance & provides such a good and fancy way to show things, hence why you are replacing the current selectionbox with it !

Please let us do the same in-game, I want to make a game in which you would also be able to select partially to totally transparent instances, and the behavior I mentioned earlier is far better than the current one.
Thanks

7 Likes

Overall, a great update although I’d like to see an option to set whether the outline is always on top or is occluded (just like it is now). The always-on-top selection is pretty disturbing when doing some precise building.

3 Likes

Definitely an interesting change, but I will not be using it. I feel like my brain hurts because of it, I can’t work properly and it is very frustrating. Please, don’t force this on ALL of us, instead make it toggleable in studio settings. It’s basically useless when you work with small parts, which many people do.

2 Likes

ALT-Selection is acting strange, it scrolls through parts that aren’t even in the same model but everything my mouse could touch if I was going through parts, everything at that spots of the mouse in the world it will select.

When you want to select a certain item with ALT-click (as it’s in a model) it cycles through a bunch of items like shown in the clip.

And the texture selecting option with ALT-click is very annoying:

Old behavior; I hope we will have an option in the future to choose between new and old. I really don’t like the new ALT-click.

7 Likes

It’s very hard to tell what’s grouped to what. Alt-clicking parts now just selects the texture/decal of the part versus the part itself, and now trying to move groups of selected parts is almost impossible. In the gif I’m trying to select the top two parts.

Looks cool but I really hope things get flushed out, it’s really hard to work with the new selection.

7 Likes

Is it possible to have a option of deciding legacy and modern selection? The new selection is fine but I was used to the old one and liked it more.

3 Likes

Very good update!

Will the SelectionBox adornment receive the same treatment?

1 Like

You guys forgot an ENTIRE BUTTON

where is the button that allows me to disable this when I dont need it, like you guys have already implemented with the bounding boxes?

11 Likes

There are some flaws I have found around while using this new selection:

• Pivot point is hidden if you have bounding boxes off (i assume this is unintended feature)
  • I think new highlight should be an optional feature once this goes out of beta, because some people might prefer old highlight still.
  • Make Alt + Click to select a decal/texture a toggleable feature, working on a game that utilizes lots of textures on faces becomes infuriating, as instead you would select a decal/texture everytime you click (and you can’t do anything about it!)
  • Add additional settings to adjust new highlight, for example if it would overlay on top of everything always for your highlight or user’s highlight in teamcreate, adjust it’s thickness in pixels, opacity, etc.

Simply said, the update gave some advantages and disadvantages, and I’m looking forward for these flaws to be fixed and hopefully to make new selection better.

3 Likes