Server Crash Logs

Maybe even give players a chance to report a broken server?
You get a listen of server logs sorted by the amount of reports that it has been given…

This would be extremely handy.

2 Likes

[quote] Maybe even give players a chance to report a broken server?
You get a listen of server logs sorted by the amount of reports that it has been given… [/quote]

No, the servers are actually crashing. The instance itself just stops and disconnects players.

[strike]I still want crash logs bug it appears my issues were being caused by CSG physics. Removing the CSG pats stopped the crashes…[/strike] JK :?

It’s happening on a lower level than Lua. Roblox online server crashes happen without warning.

Whole server crashes and all clients timeout with “You have lost connection to the game”.

So it looks like we have may have solved our crashing but it took way longer to figure it out than it should have. Because we had no logs, we had to go through every component of the game and turn it off/modify it until it stopped crashing. It was a very painful method of debugging that could have been simplified if we knew the actual real problem…

If the server actually crashes the logs from server output won’t help you. And we obviously can’t give you the complete logs & dumps from the server since they contain sensitive information.

If you have a crash it’s almost always a bug in ROBLOX code. And we can’t really give you enough details automatically - you have to report these issues here and we have to look at them.

I looked at your game and we have a bunch of crashes logged that are coming from a scaling of a union (setting Size on a UnionOperation).

We’ll look into this and fix the crash; you seem to be triggering some edge conditions. Interestingly there’s a game that suffers from the same problem with a much larger volume of crashes (http://www.roblox.com/games/259941073/Fairy-Tail-Online-Fighting).

[quote] If the server actually crashes the logs from server output won’t help you. And we obviously can’t give you the complete logs & dumps from the server since they contain sensitive information.

If you have a crash it’s almost always a bug in ROBLOX code. And we can’t really give you enough details automatically - you have to report these issues here and we have to look at them.

I looked at your game and we have a bunch of crashes logged that are coming from a scaling of a union (setting Size on a UnionOperation).

We’ll look into this and fix the crash; you seem to be triggering some edge conditions. Interestingly there’s a game that suffers from the same problem with a much larger volume of crashes (http://www.roblox.com/games/259941073/Fairy-Tail-Online-Fighting). [/quote]

Thank you for looking into this. My game is suffering the same issue if you’d like to take a look, in case it helps in any way.

alexnewtron: I see crashes for your game as well; they are very different - something goes sublty wrong in our replication layer. We’ll look into this as well.

Zeuxcg can you take a look at the crash logs of http://www.roblox.com/games/4008009/Pilgrim-Islands-Reborn ? I’m guessing it’s the same issue with replication

Thank you. I’ve noticed that the crash will occur at a certain part of the game, such as when a round ends in the game.

More details in confidential.

Maelstronomer, your issue seems to be the server running out of memory and crashing during a player join. We sadly don’t really have good tools to diagnose this easily so this would require further investigation. My suspicion is that this may happen in Studio as well…

1 Like

Zeuxcg, you are amazing! Thank you so much for looking into these issues for us :slight_smile:

Also, now that you have a new employee for working with us developers, you might be able to have him be able to check logs for us :slight_smile: Just throwing out suggestions :smiley:

THANK YOU SO MUCH AGAIN :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

My guess is in the future, we will have a lot of people wanting to get an admin to look at crash logs. If this is the case, should we private message you, Jparty, or some other contact to someone.

Also, I figured I should ask. How is David Bazooka doing? I lose connection a lot on start. Is there a crash or is my internet failing?

TheNickmaster21, we have a fix for your crash - it seems to be caused by a script that lives under the union object and has smth like script.Parent.Size = value in it - parenting this union to workspace executes this script before some internal information gets a chance to update and crashes the server. This crash does not happen in Studio unless you set NoGraphics because if rendering is active it interjects before the script gets a chance to run and updates the primitive state properly. The fix will ship next week.

we will have a lot of people wanting to get an admin to look at crash logs

I’m hoping that in the future the server will crash less and less :wink:

[quote] TheNickmaster21, we have a fix for your crash - it seems to be caused by a script that lives under the union object and has smth like script.Parent.Size = value in it - parenting this union to workspace executes this script before some internal information gets a chance to update and crashes the server. This crash does not happen in Studio unless you set NoGraphics because if rendering is active it interjects before the script gets a chance to run and updates the primitive state properly. The fix will ship next week.

I’m hoping that in the future the server will crash less and less :wink: [/quote]

Now I want to get an internship next summer just so I have the opportunity to thank you in person! :stuck_out_tongue: Thanks again!

[quote] TheNickmaster21, we have a fix for your crash - it seems to be caused by a script that lives under the union object and has smth like script.Parent.Size = value in it - parenting this union to workspace executes this script before some internal information gets a chance to update and crashes the server. This crash does not happen in Studio unless you set NoGraphics because if rendering is active it interjects before the script gets a chance to run and updates the primitive state properly. The fix will ship next week.

I’m hoping that in the future the server will crash less and less :wink: [/quote]

Now I want to get an internship next summer just so I have the opportunity to thank you in person! :stuck_out_tongue: Thanks again![/quote]

Hopefully I can have one too :slight_smile:

I think these issues should be escalated. In the last 5 hours, over 50 servers have crashed according to my analytics I have been collecting.

That’s over 50 servers with up to 25 players playing. That’s 25 whole potentially lost customers for me, and not even half of those players are taking the time to rejoin/reconnect after being disconnected.

It’s hurting a lot of first impressions, and my game has been falling off charts because of constantly lost servers and players.

Please keep us updated, Thanks.

I lose connection all the time, the first time i play a game, or try to return to a game, i lose connection, but if i rejoin, it works.

The problem is that my client isn’t shutting down, from the last connected game.
It show’s 0/… on the last game i was in.

I think I have a fix for alexnewtron’s bug. It is a race condition in the BadgeService implementation - when you award a badge and the web call completes, it triggers a replication of an event that’s used to display the badge notification.

Unfortunately, it does this on a thread that is not synchronized with replication - as a result there is a race condition, that can cause an action-at-a-distance where we crash the server later when trying to send this event in a packet.

The fix will ship next Wednesday.

I am having crash problems with my game now, losing hundreds of players over it as it very frustrating for them to lose all their progress building up starbase resources. It tends to only crash after several hours (sometimes days) of play.

Could someone with log access give me some insight on what I did wrong?

1 Like