Server side chat tag?

Hey,

Just wondering if it’s at all possible to create a server side based chat tag? From all my research I can’t find a possible way because the way to create a chat tag is done locally so I am guessing not just wanted to check.

2 Likes

Be sure to take a look at this post. How to Create a Custom Chat Tag

My apologies i realize u want it on the server. It is possible to make chat tags, The way i did it is that when a speaker was added into the chat, i would use SetExtraData under these properties. Here is some code

To show u a example

ChatService.SpeakerAdded:Connect(function(plr)
	local speaker = ChatService:GetSpeaker(plr)
	if  player[plr]:IsInGroup(id) and player[plr]:GetRankInGroup(id)== 251 then    -- the == 251 is the rank number in the group. so what permission does it have. you can adjust it for your needs.
		speaker:SetExtraData('NameColor',Color3.fromRGB(0, 170, 0))   -- color of username
		speaker:SetExtraData('ChatColor', Color3.fromRGB(27, 170, 56)) -- color of message that user sends
		speaker:SetExtraData('Tags', {{TagText = 'Developer', TagColor = Color3.fromRGB(0, 111, 0)}})  ---- The color and name of the tag. You can set it by changing TagText = 'INSERTTAGHERE'

end
end)```  Note that this is very old code but hopefully his helps you :)
1 Like

Thanks I will take a look into that. I have not really touched the Roblox chat much so hopefully this works.

The new chat system no longer supports this functionality. It only works when the chat set is in legacy mode. :sweat:

You can no longer perform this action on the server side. Therefore, you must now execute it locally. For more information on how to achieve this locally, you can refer to this link: How to Create a Custom Chat Tag

also, there is no difference whether you do it locally or through the server side.

My thought process was that I rather not have exploiters being able to get the chat tag as its for certain people only but realistically if they can send chat tags with there messages and its all done locally anyways it will not really change anything.

It seems like you’re attempting to use server-side processing to prevent exploitation. However, using local scripts might actually be more better. Exploiters can only alter their own scripts locally, and if they modify the tag, only they will be able to see the changes. On the other hand, with server-side processing, even if an exploiter creates a local script with modified tags, the outcome remains unchanged.

Edit : I guess your problem has been solved you should mark the solution as “solution”

I apologize for any confusion. The intended word was “no” instead of “o,” which was a minor typo.