Servers List sometimes shows private servers

Recently the list of servers for an experience was updated.

There’s a new control at the top for “Number of Players” with choice of Ascending or Descending. I noticed some strange behavior there, with regards to Private Servers.

When the sort is set to Descending, usually the last couple of servers are Private Servers, and if I try to join them, it says I don’t have permission.

But when I sort it Ascending, those same Private Servers do not appear in the list.

Observed:

Sort Descending => list displays Private Servers
Sort Ascending => Private Servers do not appear in the list

Expected:

Expect the list to be consistent, regardless of sort.

This could have 1 of 2 different fix strategies:

1. Always show the Private Servers, regardless of sort
  2. (my preference) Do not include Private Servers in the list either way, they can’t be joined by majority of players, and could be confusing to include

I checked some other games that I do not own, and I do see the Ascending/Descending selector on them as well.

Screenshot 1

This shows the default sort of Descending is already selected.

Screenshot 2

This shows when I scroll to the bottom of the list, there’s a server there, it’s a new server that someone has created, it’s a Private Server. I can tell, because when I try to join it, I see this error message that I don’t have permission to join.

Screenshot 3

Taken just seconds later, I scrolled back up, and selected Ascending from the sort direction. Now, the private server with 2/17 players, is not visible in the list (as it shouldn’t be)

12 Likes

Can confirm this has been happening to me too.

My game has a custom server list for private servers and public servers, and I noticed that the public server list wasnt exact with the website one. When I tried joining the servers that didnt show up in my game, it said that I dont have permission to join that server.

2 Likes

I have seen this before, but I have seen error 524 even without the server being a private server, like it was just shut down. Clicking the refresh button doesn’t work either, the servers just show again. This issue happens with both sorts.

This also happens with private servers, and it started happening as soon as the new server list came out, along with the new ascending/descending sort.

I just thought the server was closing as I attempted to join, guess this is the issue. I seem to only get this when I checkmark Exclude Full Servers and have it on Ascending.

I have experienced this issue as well since late july and have messaged bug support (with no reply), I get this issue no matter what I click and seems to be in the API response as well here:

games.roblox.com/v1/games/[ID]/servers/Public?sortOrder=Desc&excludeFullGames=false&limit=100&cursor=

I noticed this too which causes private servers to appear in my custom server list. Roblox needs to add a private boolean or a query to hide private servers.

2 Likes

Just wanted to add my 2c here and say this is infuriating behavior for roleplay games. People will often gather large groups in private servers. Those private servers now show up on the server page, meaning anyone who tries to join the ~20 person server gets kicked out for seemingly no reason, and there’s nothing devs can do about it ATM short of maybe reserving a server for the private server (which is ridiculous).

4 Likes

This bug makes finding empty/smaller servers impossible if the game has private servers, why would we want to see servers we cant join? I’m fearing that this is intentional, which is not good. such a good change to allow sorting by ascending and descending, but to include private servers is a buzzkill.

5 Likes

This “bug” started happening to me yesterday right after enabling free private servers on my experience, now the server list is full of servers with 1-2 players out of 10 that kick you if you try to join. If this is intended behaviour it should be reverted asap to avoid confusion.

1 Like

To any engineer at @Roblox that might end up looking into this issue: would it be possible for you to provide some additional sorting options for game creators only? devs would like to see a sort for their own experiences that includes Server Version. or possibly just a display of the server version in the servers list.

It is vital when I release a new version that I am able to go and interactively test it with other players. Currently I have to visit each server and check the version with a GUI display of it that I wrote, in order to “verify in production” my changes (we do not “test” in production lol). this will greatly reduce the number of times the server list has to be refreshed, if i could see in an instant what servers are running what versions. it would also be a huge time saver for myself and I know others would appreciate it if they want to check on a newly deployed release without having to check every server.

I’m glad someone finally noticed this. It’s almost impossible to find small servers on games because I just end up joining these servers. I found odd behavior where I could only join servers if there were 9 players in it.

Basically can you remove private servers from the server list unless you have to permission to join it? Because it is very annoying when you end up joining a private server while searching for small public servers like in jailbreak

2 Likes

The issue is still happening on many experiences, and now it’s even worse.

Before it showed private servers when in the “Descending” sort.
Now, it shows private servers regardless of the sort (or it appears to do this in my case).

1 Like

@Focia19 there is not a note here that this was filed to the bug database for investigation.

Is this being looked into? It is still a problem 11/21/2022.

Hey everyone!

Sorry for not updating this thread!

Yes, it is! And a fix for it was actually deployed!

Could you share with us the experience where are you seeing this issue still occurring?

Thank you!

I have just verified that this is now fixed. Thank you!

1 Like