Service Failing (AnimationClipProvider Service)

Reproduction Steps

Repro File:

The AnimationClipProvider Service Repro.rbxl (38.7 KB)

Repro Instruction:

1. Go to StarterPack > ReproTool > AnimationKeyframeSequencesForUpload > Attack. Right click, Save to Roblox, Copy the animation id.
    Overwrite StarterPack > ReproTool > Animations > Attack’s AnimationId property with retrieved animation id.
  2. Play
  3. Equip and Swing tool (animation plays)
  4. Reset Character
  5. Equip and Swing tool (animation does not play, pcall in the script will Output the catched error message eternally: Cannot load the AnimationClipProvider Service )

This post is a per-instruction followup to Multiple Roblox Services Failing - #19 by Hooksmith

Expected Behavior
Relevant AnimationClipProvider Service should be stable and online at all times.

Actual Behavior
The AnimationClipProvider Service is not operable:

When my character loads the second time, it is inoperable.

Repro Demonstration (Visual Aid):

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Other
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-02-13 12:02:00 (-05:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2022-02-15 00:02:00 (-05:00)

3 Likes

I can confirm I am also having this issue currently.

Update: I have narrowed the problem:

Attempting to call LoadAnimation on a Humanoid that is not a descendant of the workspace (Parent == nil) causes this error.

If this is unintended usage, its not documented, and the error should probably be “Cannot LoadAnimation when Humanoid Ancestor is nil” or similiar. I wouldnt think Service failing is proper.

(if needed can turn into a feature request)

For developers reading with this problem: Obtaining the character correctly for Localscripts in PlayerGui or StarterPack is found here:

https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/api-reference/property/Player/Character

So if you’re writing a LocalScript under the StarterGui or StarterPack that requires access to the player’s character, use this:

local Players = game:GetService("Players")
local player = Players.LocalPlayer
local character = player.Character
if not character or not character.Parent then
character = player.CharacterAdded:wait()
end
2 Likes

I have also been experiencing this error.

I am going to use workspace:WaitForChild(player.Name) and see if that fixes the problem.

I’ve tried this method however I still seem to get said error, I very much doubt this was intentional in the first place.

1 Like

I am also having this issue and have yet to find a solution. It’s completely breaking my game’s ability to load and play animations.

Hi,

Like you mentioned, the DevHub article shows that this is the correct way to retrieve a character locally in a LocalScript under StarterGui/StarterPack.

I tested the DevHub solution with your provided repro file and it seems to work fine. Please feel free to submit a feature request instead and a bug report if you’re running into any other issues.

Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.