Severe lag spikes and issues with streaming enabled

Hello Developers,

The game I work at has recently begun experiencing significant lag issues, particularly noted by our player base. After doing some investigation, I identified several patterns associated with these performance problems:

• Movement-Related Lag: The lag intensifies with increased player movement.
  • Dense Areas: Lag occurs more in dense areas of the map with a lot of models.
  • Server Variability: Newer servers seem to perform better, suggesting influence on the lag.

Performance Metrics:

• Rendering FPS drops significantly, while the heartbeat remains stable.
  • During lag spikes, CPU, GPU, and network usage increase noticeably.
  • Following a lag event, portions of the map appear to load, indicating streaming enabled work.

We suspect that these issues may happen from the streaming feature being enabled. Disabling streaming temporarily resolved the problem, leading us to consider whether this is an engine bug or a misconfiguration in our map and model streaming settings.

Additional Information:

• This issue seems to have escalated around the 23rd, most user reports being on mobile.
  • Despite me (and others) playing on a high-end machine, the lag persists, pointing that it’s not a hardware limitation.
  • The Micro Profiler shows extensive “Replicator GC” activity, reinforcing my suspicion about streaming-related problems.

We’re seeking advice and insights from the community regarding whether this could be an engine bug or if adjustments to our streaming configurations might resolve the issue. Any experiences or solutions shared would be greatly appreciated.

Media:
Micro profiler spikes and Replicator GC work (Streaming ENABLED):

Video showcase of the lag:

Streaming DISABLED:

Streaming settings:

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

3 Likes

I am having the same exact issue, its very annoying. At first I thought it was something to do with scripts so I spent like 2 days trying to solve it. I hope they fix this soon.

I’m guessing its also something to do with Vehicle chassis aswell as my game also uses Vehicles.
The lag spikes only happen around 1 hour of server uptime which is weird

1 Like