Should I learn scripting?

For the past day, I’ve been thinking of learning scripting. I’m not sure if I should or not. I have a lot of game ideas but most of them require good scripting. Also, I would probably get really frustrated when things don’t work. But on the bright side, I would be able to make great games and show off my work.

So, Should I learn scripting?

Edit: Thank you for all the feedback! This weekend (or if I have time on a weekday) I’ll try scripting and see how it goes.

6 Likes

Yes learn scripting there are great tutorials out there in youtube. I would highly recommend it.

2 Likes

Yes, you should learn. if you can’t get good at scripting then you can hire someone, tho imo i wouldn’t since they can leak game scripts use your ideas.

2 Likes

If you want to make games on your own, you should, but if you can hire a scripter, you don’t need to learn. At least I think so. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you learn scripting you will make your builds come to life! If you’re not sure where to start there is a scripting roadmap

There is also many topics discussing where to learn scripting

Topics

Ways to learn Scripting
What should a beggining scripter learn?

5 Likes

Absolutely, scripting is a fun hobby, or if you want, job. It’s definitely a rough start, but once you get the hang of it, it is worth it. It’s also one step closer to being self-sufficient :wink:

3 Likes

I don’t want to force you to do anything, but I would suggest trying it out and seeing if you like it or not. I remember when I was in a position like you thinking if it was worth it or not, I now know it 100% is worth it. I haven’t made a single dime off of making the games I have made and yet I have had so much fun and feel like I am no longer wasting my time playing games all the time. Also I wouldn’t suggest immediately trying to make your dream game, it just isn’t possible. I would suggest making small games that help you learn how scripting and such works, you don’t even have to publish them, just knowing you can do it is great. Hopefully you do try it and stick to it!

4 Likes