Should more mature games be on Roblox?

No, kids are growing up and stop playing Roblox .

2 Likes

I disagree. I really donā€™t think that its like that anymore. I think kids are more inclined to grow and make games on the site when they grow up, thus continuing the cycle. I used to play games on the site all the time, had the time of my life, now Iā€™m growing up and Iā€™m looking towards making games.

8 Likes

I can support this, Iā€™ve been on roblox since I was a kid and now that Iā€™ve become older and I have a larger grasp on how to actually develop and how to act mature in a professional environment I am able to contribute in the development of games that are being played by kids at the start of the cycle.

6 Likes

Your examples of ā€œmatureā€ games are just examples of boring games, not mature.

Mature games are things like Call of Duty campaigns that touch on mature and intense social issues while still having fun gameplay.

You seem to think of mature games as ā€œadult simulatorā€ rather than games that have mature content while still following the principles of good gameplay mechanics.

16 Likes

Why are you comparing being a child and being mature? These come completely separate ways of sorting people. Do you have to be an adult to be mature? Do you have to be mature to not be a child? No.

3 Likes

REASONING
I voted that it would most likely not succeed. Lets think about this, some parents constantly watch what their kids are doing on devices, and want to make sure that their children are safe and not being exposed to explicit content. I am sorry, but mature content is a big no for me. I keep anything mature on Discord, Roblox is made for kids who are like 5+, not 21+ā€¦ (Unless you are a Developer like most of us here). So, with that being said I strongly advise that all mature content be shifted away from Roblox, as that would ruin the entire area for kids on Roblox. After all this is an educational platform, not a place to learn about mature contentā€¦

I think that this vote was a really great idea, keep up the good work @sepro1144

2 Likes

how about marking certain games 16+ or 18+ and for them not to be showing on accounts aged younger?

an argument could be made that kids can just ā€œcreate an account over the age of 18ā€ but at that point its the parents responsibility for not monitoring or assisting with the creation/ usage of the account, and nobody can be held accountable for lazy parenting accept for the parents themselves.

i do feel like roblox should branch out into more mature themes and content, the more broad and varied the sites games are, the bigger audience the platform will attract.

5 Likes

This comment has changed my perspective.

2 Likes

Your math is incorrect, taking into consideration more kids would join, the balance should stay virtually the same

2 Likes

I think that if roblox was smart, theyā€™d make roblox devs choose whether their game is suitable for >13, <13, or both. This would make the variety of games better, and stop the 20 y/o devs from getting games that are made for kids. This change would probably cause a games filter to be developed to automatically show the games suitable for the player, and figure out what age-range of games they like better. This way, devs would be able to get better popularity on their games, and keep the public happy. I feel this would attract more people than ever to roblox

2 Likes

Hello there, Iā€™m just gonna say, Mature games can do very well, and are often extremely profitable

Money.

First, anyone can say yes or no to this question, but in reality, you need some kinda evidence to mean something. Letā€™s look at Rogue Lineage , thereā€™s been plenty of games trying to copy itā€™s success. And itā€™s success has been absolutely massiveā€¦

Itā€™s a big deal. It makes money. Any veteran player probably remembers Apocalypse Rising, in which thereā€™s blood, drugs (including pain killers) as well as permadeath, when your character dies. itā€™s dead and you lose everything you worked for. It was also massively successful financially.

Audience.

Apoc has been an old legend, it used to be on the front page 24/7 when developers got rewarded for visits via tickets. Now, they work on the sequel, Apocalypse Rising 2 [Alpha] yet despite it essentially being discontinued, the current player count is 739.

Rogue Lineage has gone a bit down in popularity because the developers are working on other games, yet they still keep above a thousand players 24/7 around the clock at all times, with no sponsors to my knowledge. Just YouTubers.

Conclusion:

The answer is, yes! Of course Roblox has an older audience thatā€™s humongous. Itā€™s recorded that almost half of the accounts on the platform are 13+ accounts. Thatā€™s why weā€™re getting Age Ratings. Itā€™s silly to think that on a platform thatā€™s as big as Roblox, that thereā€™s no older audiences. And older players often donā€™t need to ask their parents for money, so really, in some cases youā€™re losing money by appealing to a younger audience.

Really, it just depends on the type of game.
If youā€™re doing a roleplay game or simulator, then yeah, children are more likely to get into it if you ask me.

If youā€™re doing some FPS or MMORPG with deep and complex mechanics, then yeah, older folk are more likely to get into it if you ask me.

The real error is that older folk are gonna have extremely high expectations, so making a very profitable game, is likely gonna be a very big investment.

Hope this helped, itā€™s be great if you gave some feedback!

9 Likes

@goldencowboy
@Klysto

Source

No. Roblox is not just a kidā€™s game. Itā€™s not much different than Steam. Itā€™s a platform for a wide range of games, it has no particular audience. Roblox is pretty powerful in the game industry in my opinion because you donā€™t need to install individual games, you download a client, and then you have access to a humongous amount of games. Not many platforms do that.

Thatā€™s why Age Ratings are coming. Once upon a time Roblox was a social hangout for kids, but ever since DevEx hit, times have changed.

If nothing else,
Thereā€™s a lot of money to be made from the older audiences.

6 Likes

While most of the Roblox community is filled with little kids who donā€™t know what theyā€™re doing I believe that something in the catagory you said would be more likely to flow up with a 11+ age audience as they develop more ways of thinking then just ā€œooh get hit by a truck tycoon sounds funā€. (This is not a hate speech to younger children just using an example from my experiences)

2 Likes

Yes, that makes sense. But still, I do think Roblox should remain kid-friendly and not make everything ā€œmatureā€. Think about all of the kids that would not be allowed to play Roblox anymore due to their parentā€™s opinion? If you know what I mean.

1 Like

I personally feel like they would succeed if they got advertised properly. However, we all know most of the Rolox audience is right around 10-13 (Sorry if this isnā€™t accurate, just a prediction), with that being said, I donā€™t believe that type of audience would appreciate mature games let alone play them.

It wouldnā€™t be possible to replicate this game design authentically without violating the TOS. Even if you didnā€™t reference IRL gang activity and instead substituted it with fictional gang members I.e ā€œBloxWoodsā€ it still wouldnā€™t be tolerable.

Minors will easily void this restriction by lying about their age UNLESS players interested in mature content are required to submit a copy of their State ID or another form of identification.

To an extent yes, however I believe a realistic representation of prison sounds exciting. Prison riots, trying to outsmart the prison guards by smuggling in illegal possessions for cellmates, targeting rival gang members, and unlocking new motives after serving your prison sentence (Thatā€™s what criminals do IRL, majority of them get educated by the OGs to expand their skillsets and put them on higher paying jobs like trafficking)

Thatā€™s not realistic, thatā€™s romanticized. Prison is designed to be boring. TV and movies are not.

2 Likes

Again, Roblox as a whole already isnā€™t kid friendly, some games are kid friendly, some are not.

You canā€™t put a label on a platform. Thatā€™s because thereā€™s a wide variety of games, some are tower defense games about zombies with explosive organs, while others are about adopting and taking care of a kid.

Thereā€™s a humongous difference there. Some parents arenā€™t okay with the idea of their kids playing one game, but are okay with them playing another.

The hypotheticals donā€™t happen on a daily basis, itā€™s more of a rare occasion so yes I agree itā€™s romanticized. Prison thrives off of fear factors rather than isolation, and itā€™s rather a social environment depending on who you are and what crimes youā€™ve been charged with.

Mutuals Iā€™ve grown up with are convicts for various of crimes so Iā€™ve got an inside look on what happens behind bars.

What about the kids who play on phone for example? How can they develop? Many kids use phones/tablets/xbox whatever to play Roblox.

The current games are boring in my opinion. All games are now simulators where you just click to get something and get better.

I agree with the developing part however you need to learn lua to do it, kids donā€™t really have time for that, they play more outside with friends, they have school homework and stuff like that.
When they grow up they could join a group or something but they get inactive.
Growing up = School gets harder = More to learn = More homeworks = no time.

1 Like