Should more mature games be on Roblox?

Right now,the majority of people that are playing roblox are children,So their appeal would be simulators,tycoons,etc. However,The Teens+ would likely more play more mature games.Like Phantom Forces,etc.

And from my experience,I’d rather play mature games.

Although this is true, its becoming popular in the United States to have at least one computer at home.

By the graph, homes with computers and internet have seem to go up, with no signs of stopping. With this more and more kids every year will have the chance to develop on Roblox!

I agree that we are in a game decline, but really that’s the whole market right now and not just roblox. It’s easier to try what works than put your money, time, and resources to develop a new genre that may not work out. Along with that, maybe you are just growing out of video games, looking at the numbers, kids are really seeming to enjoy those type of games right now!

I disagree with this. I think kids right now will have the most freetime they will ever have in their life. I think we should make Roblox developing more appealing to younger audiences. I understand that kids will grow up and have less time, but they will always have sometime to themselves, more than adults.

4 Likes

It’s likely overstated at this point but the amount of work put in for the revenue it would generate wouldn’t make anything more than a kids game on this platform worthwhile.

Know your audience, and Roblox’s is 90% kids. Sure there’s some adults or older teenagers here and there, but if that’s your ideal audience then Roblox (in it’s current form) isn’t the right place for that.

I do however think it would be an interesting discussion to talk about Roblox rebranding themselves to be more age neutral and less targeted to kidsand allow room for these games to exist, which could potentially expand their playerbase - who knows. They’re kind of going in that direction, with how they’ve professionalised the web design, logos, etc in recent years, as well as improving Studio to a level almost on par with Unity. I’d love to see Roblox lose it’s reputation as “just a kids game”, but as everything sits now I wouldn’t invest time in anything serious.

If you scroll down the popular page you’ll notice some really well made games, only issue is they’re more mature, and the amount of effort put in far from correlates to their profitability or success, while you’ll see cash grabs with 1/100th of the quality raking in 100x the players and money, and it isn’t a matter of quality but one of knowing the audience.

1 Like

I’m under the belief that the majority of kids lying about their age are in a position where elsewhere they’d already be comfortable with that material, and their parents wouldn’t have concern over it. Aside from the fact that Roblox has nothing truly deserving an age rating, aside from a couple guns here and there, parents concerned over their kids would create the accounts themselves and adjust settings appropriately.

I agree with this almost completely, but the “Mature” rating is usually for games including sexual references and extreme language. I don’t think we need to go that far for games to be considered more mature (*Especially since Roblox said that they are not allowed).

In saying that, the audience is largely determined by the creator. If games keep being directed toward little kids, then the demographic is not going to change much. Think Disney Channel’s demographic in the late 90s compared to now, and how the demographic went from family/teenagers to little kids. I respect the grind and dedication some of the front page games have, but I am not sure that some of those games are meant for older audiences. It’s not a problem in itself, but it does reflect a good portion of how Roblox’s audience is constructed.

*Note: Age Ratings (given by @kotojo, who made a good point as well).

I’d honestly love for this to happen, however, I’m really on the fence about it. It’s pretty heavily marketed towards kids but even then honestly I think more mature games would be cool.

1 Like

To be entirely fair, one of Roblox’s major consumers is kids. Parents, who fund said consumers will likely prefer the platform to stay family-friendly. Else, they’ll boot their kids off and likely not spend any more money on the platform, which helps keep Roblox afloat.

But, on the other hand, you could age restrict mature games using somewhat the same means as they do with 13+ catalog items. Putting it in the hands of the parents to ensure their kids aren’t creating new accounts to bypass the filter mechanic.

So, in theory, Roblox could possibly implement some filter to restrict said mature games, appealing to older and more mature audiences while still maintaining a family-friendly community for younger players.

But, then again, I’m no expert in this. So this is more of me just trying to get my ideas out there since I’d love to see more mature games and not just your run-of-the-mill simulator and tycoon games.

If they set their account age to over 13 and their parents find them playing something “out of their league” thats the parents fault for not monitoring their child, not roblox’s, so if they do that with their account(s) its not our fault. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

That being said, I’m not really referring to games including sexual refrences and extreme language. I’m referring to games such as ones that teach more about the economy and government to older people (15-20ish) for when they’re older and ready to start looking for jobs. There could be 3 ranges, and the player could fall into one or two based on their birthday/age range

-<13
-13-16
->17

< 13 could include more childish games, such as childish simulators, obbies, and tycoons
13-16 could include games like simulators, phantom forces, more advanced tycoons, and stuff like family roleplays. It would also include games in the <13 category

17 could include more advanced games, such as educational economics and government games, as well as everything else in the categories before

With the right moderation, mature games should be able to work, maybe instead of calling it a ‘mature audience’ game, Roblox adds the feature for age ratings so more mature games can be hosted on the platform

if the game chooses the wrong age rating it can be taken down. Obviously roblox would have to stay to their TOS for the more extreme things such as ‘nazis’ and russian roulette (for an example)

Plus any game which has an age rating other than E/Pegi 3+ (The one required for Console) the game could be blocked on a console device

I think a game which has a T/12+ rating should have a more leniant filter

-Filtered

Even if mature players only made up 1% of the total market, it wouldn’t matter if they did 90% of the purchasing. I know kids get cards and birthday present and things, but only adults blow hundreds on their favorite game in a month because they have jobs. This means they have more money than time relative to kids who have more time to grind than money. More mature games means more mature players which means more parents giving money to their kids to play all games as they also approve of the platform. Just my 2 cents.

1 Like

I don’t feel as though they would succeed. TO AN EXTENT. I feel that they would be popular, no doubt, but I feel as though they would not be nearly as successful as the current popular types of games. ROBLOX is getting younger, a lot of older players either move on to development, quitting ROBLOX, or playing more mature games. However; there can only be so many older players. Let’s use your example of an economic simulator. As a 7 year old on ROBLOX, I would not find pleasure in playing a game like that. I would rather play Jailbreak, or Adopt me! or some other game like that. However; with the right blend of maturity and innocence, I suppose it could easily be as successful as some of the bigger games. Great question!

Didn’t Roblox reach 100 million mon. players a few months ago?

Yeah, but I’m pretty sure half of those 100 millon monthly players are bots and alt accounts.

1 Like

I really like the idea of age ratings for games. I’ve been developing high fantasy roleplay games for some time now, and while I make sure they’re appropriate for Roblox, it just doesn’t really appeal to such a young demographic. When young kids do join, they often don’t enjoy it very much and are bored by the story-driven roleplays because they’re not yet at the maturity level to appreciate creative writing.

It’d also be nice if said 13+ games were a bit more lenient on darker themes - not saying we should be able to go entirely buckwild, but I tend to lean toward some level of historical accuracy in my games, and as we all know the middle ages weren’t very pretty.

And also because I’m tired of every even implicitly romantic tapestry/painting I upload getting moderated because “no shipping”.

Roblox is built around a young audience. You’d have to use targeted advertisement for best results. Don’t forget to put a comment in the description or when you join reminding players it can be violent.

People aren’t really interested in these things, such as trainings and interviews, only like 10% of robloxians like this. Roblox is full of kids now and they want simulators and other stupid stuff. I’m not calling the developers of simulators stupid, I just don’t like the genre.

But roblox knows they have people interested in more outgoing games (such as being allowed more gore, violence, and things like that.) I am one and would love to have age ratings such as 13+ and 17+ for the simple fact that we would be able to express more freedom and come up with more creative projects.

3 Likes

That’s not ROBLOX’s problem- kids do that anyway. Do you really think kids <13 don’t exist on a platform like Discord? (You must be 13+ to use discord)

1 Like

Good respond totally believe you. Mature just means someone that Has common sense and such, has no age requirements.

A kid could be mature and not be mature.
Same for teens and adults.