Should more mature games be on Roblox?

Good logical response.

I am fed up on how a vast majority of people keep thinking roblox has 90 % kids as a audience without logic and proof.

Good logical response !
Honestly tired of people honestly thinking roblox has 90 % kids as it’s audience without any proof research and such.

I’m not where you have heard the Roblox is attempting to adjust for mature audiences because it has appeared quite differently in recent years.

With the closing of the forums, lack of war-group supports, the in-ability of being able to dev-ex from trading, ever evolving chat filters that tend to block out more and more each update, and rules against “dating and its likeness” and violence restrictions that make games such as the SIMS, Intense war games or something similar an impossibility, ROBLOX definitely trends towards younger audiences.

HOWEVER, I’m not complaining or saying thats wrong. From a developers standpoint, you can probably make more money via DevEx now than every before. Older users or more likely to grind for what they want while younger ones drop cash. It sorta sounds wrong but it’s just factual. I think those common game-types are popular because its what the majority of that age groups is A: Wanting to play, and B: Willing to spend money on.

I would have to disagree to a certain extent here. When talking about games like Apocalypse Rising, you have to realize that game used to be the #1 game on the site by far. It essentially never fell below that slot for more than a day or so before climbing back up top and it stayed like that for literal years EVEN when tycoons and roleplay games where very popular. (Back then it was Welcome To Robloxia, instead of Meep City, and highschool roleplays) regardless of the genres being present AR was dominate, so was a variety of RPG/MMO games such as the Lost Souls series. Sure AR has 700 players online, but that is nothing compared to front page games who run active player counts of over 100-400k+

However, like I mentioned in my other post on this thread, Roblox started clipping or throwing features that older users gravitated towards either out completely, or on the back-burner. When the forums went down, all of the non-developer based users that were into War Clans, or Trading started dropping of rapidly. These communities exist in very small pockets now versus then.

I’d argue against this… Roblox is primarily a platform for kids. It’s advertised for kids, themes are appropriate for kids, content is suitable for kids, and it’s a safe place for them as a result.

If we expand content beyond this, we run the risk of increasing the population of older players. If this perpetuates, it presents as a risk to kids and the platform that was intended and designed for them.

A more appropriate solution would be to duplicate the Roblox engine and give it a new name… maybe ‘Mablox’. Have that be used for mature themes (minus the adult content), and leave the kids free to use their own dedicated and safe platform.

2 Likes

It would make more sense that games like Adopt Me would be more successful than games like SimCity Roblox edition because the primary target audience of Roblox are kids. While I do love games that are less kiddish (The Conquerors 3 is an amazing RTS and FPS games like Arsenal have seen pretty good results), I just feel like this is the wrong platfrom for a “political roleplay game” without it being dumbed down to a degree where is just loses its luster for it’s target audience.

However, Roblox is an evergrowing platform with players of all ages and what was yesterday’s front page stats is today’s average numbers, so it really depends on what you consider “success” to be.

Even though it’s a big step for Roblox to start doing more mature content, I think it’s a step that needs to be taken. Roblox has always been seen as a baby-game. I think the only way to get out of this stigma is for more developers to start making more fun and mature games. Of course it won’t do as good as Adopt Me, but even one game helps Roblox get one step closer for being a platform for both young and mature audiences. Maybe that ONE game could even be the new Adopt Me for mature players.

1 Like

Exactly, totally agreed as well. If you go to a retail store, an M rated game is only a recommendation. Not a law, or anything.

I honestly wish Roblox let people upload mature games, or at least have a seperate website or program where you could upload mature games. I feel as if story games (not like Camping, more like Alter Ego) could become a big hit if Roblox let us. Sadly however, Roblox’s intended audience is kids, so I couldn’t see this happening.

1 Like

I believe Roblox should remain a family-friendly platform. 13+ games would make the <13 players feel discriminated. Many of them simply don’t understand that the 13+ restrictions are to protect them and just give fake birth date.

I think roblox should lighten up a little. Kids have definitely seen worse from other players in game. You can never fully control what your child sees. They’re gonna see something on TV or hear something from some other kid. I don’t mean ultra mature games like GTA V but something that’d allow more realism. There are guns (gears) in the catalog that are 13+ and if your account is below that age, you cannot buy. Same thing with games, it’d be a good system except for the fact kids would change their age to 13+ so they can play. It is not solely roblox’s responsibility for what the child sees, but the owner of the game, the child + their parents. It would improve games better so older players do not have to see games such as Meep City or one of the million adopt me games (basically the same game) copied & pasted onto the front page.

1 Like

When i tried to change my account age to <13, an message appeared saying that if i done that, basically there wouldn’t be an return, which lets me think that if you are <13, you can’t increase your “age” at the platform.

1 Like

I understand this-- you can change it but its a long process (maybe this has changed since my account was <13). But what I meant is that you could make another account. The whole “video games cause violence” debate is a huge factor into this decision, I dont think they cause violence but roblox is scared of backlash from parents, media + a concerned society. Also they’d lose money. But with what I said about the gears and needing to be 13+ to play is a good idea in my opinion. Something I’ve seen that is similar to this is in What’s the word? (the game) you can play a 13+ version. I thought this was of note & interesting and roblox doesnt seem to have an issue with it

1 Like

Well if Roblox were to lighten up and allowed for more mature games to roll in with a bit more violence, then yeah they’ll definitely get backlash, but if they market themselves enough that they aren’t a kids game they could tap into 2 or 3 new age ranges. Of course, kids generate more money than a teenager or adult age range.

It’d be a huge gamble. Kids growing up on roblox right now will eventually get bored of the same friendly games and thats why a lot of them quit as roblox is seen as a baby game. If they implemented a system where select games for a more mature audience would be available, it’d be satisfying both sides (kind of) but anyways.Its hard to know where to draw the line as other games on roblox show shooting, death etc. but if you show more realism, sounds + blood you’re taking a gamble there. Wish roblox would make it better for the community as a whole though

Yeah it’s a gamble for Roblox. I’d love to support it as it does open creative opportunities for me but that’s me, not the community. Roblox could try to create 2 versions of themselves, 1 that is for kids and another that is for older audiences.

Yeah samee except that costs money and roblox doesnt want to lose any

I think you should add to the list

I think you should add FPS games, like arsenal to the list

I really like the ideas you listed, I think the mature side would play those games since they are different and they know about these topics.

I believe that if Roblox does not allow more mature games, they will have players that leave once they outgrow the games. If kids are wanting to play something they shouldn’t, would you rather it be on Roblox or on PS5?