Skinned Mesh NPC is Sliding Around

Skinned Mesh is Sliding Around

Hey guys, it’s me, Flumzee. I’m working on a game that is coming out soon, so I need help, and fast!
I’ve created a skinned mesh AI, and I’ve tinkered with the humanoid’s HipHeight, but that seems to make it worse, and for some reason, the HipHeight’s calculations don’t work as they should.

A hip height of -1.1 makes it super slidy, and a hip height of -1 makes the whole body be in the air.

– -1.1 hip height

image – -1 hip height

image – the humanoid’s hip height based off of my current calculations

image – humanoid root part’s size

image – the settings on the humanoid root part

image – the settings on the other body parts

image – the model’s transform and size settings

– the rig should be at the bottom red line, but it is instead at the halfway point of the humanoid root part.

Any help and suggestions will be very appreciated!

2 Likes

Hi there, @Flumzee, I believe this post has a similar issue to yours and it provides a solution: Custom Skinned Mesh sliding/gliding.

If the solution doesn’t resolve your issue, feel free to reply to this for further assistance. Good luck with your game!

1 Like

I’ve already tried this method, but unfortunately it didn’t work. It used to be at a scale of about 8, then I ungrouped it and regrouped it.

Is the character made in Blender? In that case, are you sure this issue doesn’t originate from incorrectly importing the mesh to studio?

I believe the scaling of the character might be the issue. Try scaling the character in Blender to 0.01, then go to Scene > Unit Scale and set it to 0.01. Then import the character to studio again and see if that fixes the sliding.

I got the character from SketchFab.

Is there a specific version I might need to do this in?

I may just have to make a custom pathfinding system. I honestly don’t know what else to do.

Is the HumanoidRootPart a part of the mesh of the character, or is it an invisible part placed in the center of it?

The humanoid root part is of course the root, but when I import the model, the root is at the bottom of the rig, and if I try to move it to the middle, the rig also moves with the model for some reason.

I am having the same issue, I’ve tried using a Minecraft character rig, but it kept sliding instead of walking. I tried to ungroup and regroup, but that messed up the animation.

External Media

Animation:

Before regroup:

After regroup:

Can you try to make the HumanoidRootPart a separate part from the actual mesh (an invisible cube placed directly in the center, which is inside the group)? You can rename the previous root part.

In Blender? (i need atleast 30 letters sorry)

I also need to keep the bones, but they’re in the root part. What do I do for that?

Just to see if I understand correctly, the cube at the bottom of the character is the old rootpart. Was it at that position before?

Yes. (30 letters again gejgrj8egreg)

The HumanoidRootPart should be at the middle of the character, not at the bottom of it. I understand that there are bones in the old rootpart. Perhaps you can somehow try moving them to the new one.

The problem is, when I try to move the humanoid root part, the whole thing moves with it, but I’m working with SimplePath to fix my problems, so I will come back if any other problems occur.