Skinned MeshPart Studio Beta

Very cool feature. Can’t wait to test it!

1 Like

i agree with the ik bone in roblox, but i’ve exported an baked animation that had IK in it to roblox before with the beta mesh deformation studio version, and it worked fine for me.

1 Like

I have 3 questions @RobieTheCat

1. How can this be “adapted” to actual R15 games if this mechanic will be applyed to player’s characters?
  2. will this work for CSG Unions?
  3. How acual body packages and clothing will work with this mechaics?

Thank You!

2 Likes

This is an amazing and desperately needed feature. Roblox avatars (r15) will look so many times better, models would get an upgrade (example: Play Bigfoot on Roblox. the model is disconnected with the limbs and it almost ruins the model.) and it would also allow GMOD animations on Roblox.

Thanks for this!

1 Like

I’ve attempted using this feature w/ a specific rig before, and certain bones that move in the animation do not move properly in roblox’s avatar evolution animation editor.

3 Likes

It’s not that I don’t think this is a cool feature, but as many before me have said, this isn’t what the developer community has been asking for.

It’s not fair to say people haven’t been asking for this. I’ve been waiting for this for some time now, and so have the people that liked this post and surely many of the people that liked the announcement post.

5 Likes

I’m not developing one of my games fully until this comes out. I can’t have a character have disconnected arms and limbs. Imagine a bane or terminator like character but you can clearly see that his arms are disconnected. :grimacing:

5 Likes

your getting gimbal lock there champs.
try not using euler rotation for bones.

with the bone selected, press N them change it to quaternion.
now in maya i have no idea how to change it.

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure a lot of developers could handle this and are ready, it’s just if they’re willing to put in the effort.

2 Likes

In the development communities and discords I’ve been in, I have to confirm what you say. This feature’s been a long time coming and so are Custom Materials. Next, I hope they add UDIMs and Emissive Texture Maps so that we can really push our games to the best that they can be!

1 Like

Personally it’s quite amazing as it means we (us indies) can start making AAA level games like Half Life: Alyx. And Roblox really seems to be pushing for this now with future lighting and custom materials happening now. Plus just because popular devs don’t talk about it and instead doesn’t mean most devs don’t want it either.

3 Likes

Do I make this change to the non-IK rig that the animation is being transferred to, the IK rig that the animation is being made on, or both?

2 Likes

you can change it all, but the problem is that your gonna lose your animation.
because the bone is diferent than euler.

2 Likes

Really Cool Feature I can’t wait for that

2 Likes

Imagine Shark Attack! :star_struck:!

3 Likes

Imagine the way new roblox horror games can use this.

4 Likes

Hey there!, so I was trying to animate a rigged mesh in roblox, and i noticed that I can’t select the bones by clicking them, i understand that i should animate in blender or other programs , but it would be really cool to being able to select bones by clicking them, or is it something that shouldn’t occur? https://gyazo.com/3cb168e0f1f331defb5d3e954cecd4a5

1 Like

@NerfLambdaWarrior120

1. How can this be “adapted” to actual R15 games if this mechanic will be applyed to player’s characters?

No changes are needed on the part of the developer. The meshIds change to ones that have skinning data, and the character appears skinned.

1. will this work for CSG Unions?

No. Just MeshParts.

1. How acual body packages and clothing will work with this mechaics?

Body packages from the catalog remain the same.
What do you mean by clothing?
( T-shirts and pants remain the same. )

6 Likes

@EliteEngineer_DEV Currently, it is not possible to select Bones by clicking on them. Yes, I think it would be very useful, and it is planned to add it at some point.

4 Likes

Amazing, While on that, i want to ask a silly question

Will there be at any point the option to make certain meshparts share the bones with the main model?
like adding a hat or a shirt and making it blend and follow the model, just like if the model had that accessory in the model itself, i feel asking this because if i were to add character customization i would want the option to add clothing accessories etc…

The explanation is probably really sloppy, but i hope you understand

6 Likes