Skinned MeshPart Studio Beta

@x_o , No plans at this time. It would require CFrames, and the animation system to explicitly support scale.

11 Likes

Finally! Iā€™ve been waiting for this feature for a long time and Iā€™m so excited to see R15 characters have no more dislocated joints. However, joint breaking upon death is an issue I havenā€™t seen addressed yet. If a humanoid character with a skinned mesh dies and their joints break apart, what happens to the body parts? Do they fall apart like how they do right now?

10 Likes

At last! This update sounds cool, and Iā€™m excited to see whatever the future holds.

8 Likes

@Night9967 , I assume Shape Keys are the same as BlendShapes or Morph Targets. Itā€™s something being considered. Thanks for the request; noted.

14 Likes

@Alikire , once the Motors are removed the MeshParts become separate pieces again, and yes, they fall to the ground as before.

11 Likes

That really throws a wrench into what we were planning. Out of curiosity, was there a specific reason for the mesh limit being reduced to 10k despite the 50k rig limit?

5 Likes

@OutlookG , yes that is the plan. For this to work the meshes have to have skinning data added and therefore the meshIds updated. For the user this just means selecting body parts that are skinned from the catalog when creating their avatar - once they are available.

11 Likes

@The_Aliens - my understand is that both of the limits are aimed at keeping triangle counts manageable.
If there was a 50k mesh limit, and an avatar had body parts each of 50k and accessories each of 50k, and there are many avatars on screen it would bring framerate down.
However, these limits are set mostly for avatar imports used across all places. If you have a specific use case where say your whole character is a single mesh, and this limit is preventing import then it should be possible to split the mesh pre-export - either manually or as part of the import process.

8 Likes

This is really neat! I do have a question though, is there any way to get that exact skinned player model shown above? I wanna go into studio and dissect it.

6 Likes

Iā€™m super impressed with how easy it was to slap together a multi-part rigged armature and import it into Roblox. Almost no effort on my part to make it just work.

Itā€™s a shame collisions arenā€™t affected. For complex character models with discrete sections that need collisions to match the appearance of the rig, do you think thereā€™s an acceptable way to attach collision boxes?

20 Likes

At long last. Perfect timing too; I took two Animation courses over the past year. Gonna see what I can whip up soon.

6 Likes

I canā€™t wait to see how developers can create stuff with this awesome featureā€¦ Thx Roblox

8 Likes

Oh yea, Iā€™ve been waiting so long for this, ever since I heard that this was coming I started learning Blender, modeling, texturing and learning how to give my models bones, Iā€™ve came so far with it, soon when this releases and I have all my models ready I can finally go build my game with those sweet deformable meshes.
Ever since I got into 3D modeling, love it as much as I love coding.

10/10 one of the best Roblox updates ever, Roblox is beginning to look more like Unity except easier to use.

8 Likes

Wouldnā€™t it be possible to do mesh deformation with this?

I have been waiting for some type of mesh deformation for a game idea I have.

6 Likes

@PeZsmistic , try naming your sphere and cyclinder meshes with the names of two of your joints.
This way the MeshParts will move and provide collisions, and the mesh should be deformed as before.

15 Likes

Alright. My case in particular is we have a set of dinosaurs made via commission that were planned to debut as skinned meshes, and the lot of them have triangles between 10k and 20k. Although segmenting them pre-export could be done, this poses a problem with the creatures which we already had rigged, and furthermore, one of our animals in particular that was indeed split in two and exported (in the Avatar Evolution build before there was alpha support) ended up having two rigs - one in each mesh, and it was not workable in the animation editor. This problem prevented us from using the creature and we ultimately opted for the single-mesh alternative. For large-scale creatures such as dinosaurs, dragons, etc, I think a 10k tri limit is going to be hard to work around without a loss in detail.

6 Likes

This will definitely push Roblox in a better direction! We will soon be able to make games that actually look like ā€œreal worldā€ games.

5 Likes

When I name the sphere to correspond with its bone, it doesnā€™t seem to connect to the last bone in the chain and doesnā€™t follow the mesh when it is deformed. Iā€™ve renamed both the sphereā€™s object and the geometry in the tree to match the bone just in case.

Further, but not pictured, if I name the cylinder to ā€œbottomā€ to match one of its bones, the ā€œbottomā€ bone stops existing and I only get out the ā€œtopā€ bone on the cylinder and motor6Ds for the cylinder and sphere.

What am I doing wrong here?

9 Likes

Awesome update looking forward to the creations made with this new feature.

7 Likes

Will avatars in the near future (or future in general) be automatically / have the option to be ā€œstitchedā€ such that traditional R15 / R6 avatars have their joints fused together and be deformable through mesh deformation?

I remember speaking to David Baszucki about this at RDC '19, and he stated that was one of the goals. Is this still on the table?

6 Likes