Skinned MeshPart Studio Beta

You may not think this is a cool feature but MANY people have been asking for vertex deformation for a long time, I’m absolutely estatic that we’re finally getting this tech and so are many others. Vertex deformation coupled with the new realistic lighting? Count me in.

Who dictates what is unnecessary? I don’t think it’s unnecessary at all, in fact I think it’s amazing that Roblox is finally starting to catch up as a platform.

Many people begged for vertex deformation, please don’t let nostalgia cloud the sheer “awesomeness” of these new features and updates.

30 Likes

@PeZsmistic - this is what you want. When the MeshParts have the same name as the joints, the Bones are not created on Import, and the MeshPart will now be controlling where the joint is - provided they are linked.
When you move the ‘head’ part around, does the sphere move?

6 Likes

@Noble_Draconian yes, traditional R15/R6 avatars will have their joints fused together provided the meshes are authored with skinning weights. This just means changing the meshIds to ones that have skinning weights.
So yes, this will be possible, but it does not mean that your existing avatar will automatically do this. It would need the catalog assets updating, or the user to switch to identical looking, but skinned versions of their parts.

7 Likes

Ah, gotcha.

Will catalog assets be updated in the future to use mesh skinning?

4 Likes

The head part is the sphere, sorry. This is the behavior from the following tree in blender. What would be the correct way to do this?

Also I understand the relationship with meshpart name to bone joint now, thanks!

12 Likes

@Noble_Draconian My understanding is that new assets will be made available that have skinning - and some of these will look just like existing ones, except skinned.

7 Likes

Ah I see, so packages (like the one I’m using, the crimson claw package) will be cloned and updated with skinning data?

Are there any packages that will not be cloned, or is the eventual goal to get all of them cloned + updated?

4 Likes

@PeZsmistic
If you move the head mesh, the sphere should move?
I think I realize where the layout of the imported MeshParts could be improved…
If these were rigid parts, you’d have ‘bottom’ under ‘head’.
Try re-parenting ‘bottom’ under head and changing the Motor under ‘bottom’ to reflect that.
And then use the AnimationEditor to move the parts, as you would before.

I have made a note to change the importer to do that re-parenting for you.

6 Likes

This is really cool and will really help out on people’s
future games. Is it now possible to create animated hair with this update?

6 Likes

Now this is an interesting update! I might of heard about this year but not 100% sure. Now, it’s finally come to ROBLOX!!! I’ve always been waiting for something like this! Very cool! :smiley:

3 Likes

How is this not what we’ve asked for? This is a very large step of the climb up Roblox’s mount Everest, and I think this is an incredible way to inch closer and catch up with other engines, since it’s the most realistic of course; and by that I mean that the current Roblox characters aren’t anything like the characters from other engines.

But on the other hand, I guess there is the argument you could say that this plan with these newer characters doesn’t exactly follow the ideal image of when you think of “Roblox.” I mean seriously, most of us imagine Roblox as one of those old 2014 Roblox Advertisement posters with the old R6 Blocky characters.

11 Likes

I’m glad this is finally coming out! I had a question that went unanswered in the last thread, and I’m hoping you can take a look at it and tell me if this is a bug or just my lack of knowledge in doing these things. I tried doing the same procedure with this new studio beta and got the same results (or well, even worse results actually since the mesh distorted but I’ll assume it’s one of the known issues)

3 Likes

Is there a reason that the texture fidelity is so much better on the Skinned MeshPart variant?

Logically, the split version should be higher resolution because each part could have a maximum resolution texture- but this doesn’t appear to be the case.

Is the max texture for Skinned Meshes greater than 1024px x 1024px? Or is this just a matter of ‘oh we happened to retexture it and forgot to say so’.

13 Likes

got this working with a rig i made a few months ago, pretty cool :slight_smile:

24 Likes

Sorry, this is a little unclear to me, what am I reparenting where and how am I changing the motor to reflect it? Also it appears I either can’t find, or don’t have the option to bend bones in the animation editor, I’m just using the rotate tool in Studio to experiment.

To clarify what I expect to happen, when I bend the top half of the cylinder, I expect the sphere to follow the bend. I’m starting to think this behavior is expected though; the body’s motor6D is parented to the cylinder meshpart and moves only with respect to its origin, not the tip of the top bone.

1 Like

So cool! I can’t wait to work with games using this!

4 Likes

I’m SUPER Exicted for this! i can’t wait to see all the immersive games with this feature!

1 Like

If I try resizing a “custom” rig that’s been imported, everything seems to get distorted.

Before resize:

After resize:

25 Likes

IT’S FINALLY HERE!

This has been the number one thing I’ve been looking forward to on Roblox for years. I’m going crazy thinking of all the possibilities mesh deformation brings. Roblox is going to look completely different, and I’m ready for it!

Thank you so much for working on this. Mesh deformation is going to be incredible

4 Likes

Happens to me as well lol
Original scale:
782f8cd44ffd532c8a8ded7f56e6b4c0

After resize:

39 Likes