Skinned MeshParts are live!

“allowed users to upload a 2D photo and automatically create a realistic 3D avatar.”
“integrations to build out personalized avatar stickers” *** this little comment suggests creation of expressions without live feed
“live avatars that could be used during video calls”

To take from one base image and manipulating it into standard expressions and rendering in 3D will allow live facial emotes. Conceivably, upload a face and you could have access to a whole suite of emotes.

How much freedom is given to developers is the only question. It is all feasible tech and having a leg up with the acquisition will let them roll out much sooner. Seems like a good follow up for the Rthro release for realism capability.

3 Likes

Is the S15 rig you’re using available in some way?

For importing skinned characters, Can I use 3 textures? or would I have to bake them?

Hey, so I am stuck with a issue, I would like to create a trampoline, where it streches, however, i cant use springs to join skinned meshes.

please allow us to use springs, prismatic constraints, ropes and every constraint as a means of joining skinned meshes

There is a link in the announcement at the top:
S15_Lola_IPose.fbx

1 Like

Your request has been noted. Thanks for the feedback.

2 Likes

@RobieTheCat Any plans to support welds/attachments? Maybe I am thinking this wrong, but I don’t see the point in skinning accessories that are supposed to be interchangeable? :frowning:

Welds and weld constraints are already supported. Set the part0 to the main part that contains all the bone, and part 1 to the mesh you want to swap in. then, put that mesh inside of the model the main part is also inside

1 Like

I’m looking for a skinned rig that looks like R6 but with bendy limbs.

@RobieTheCat do whe have any work arround or any way of making so the rootpart to be created above the 0,0,0? cause usualy in blender the 0,0,0 is the ground and it make easy for animate stuff.

when i import stuff no matter what the 0,0,0 will be where the roopart is created.
i’ve tryed to create a object/bone with the name RootPart to define where i want it to stay in the world space, but it crash studio when i do that

@Dyzcroll I’m not sure I understand. I see the HumanoidRootPart above the ground:

1 Like

i’m talking abbout custom rootpart, no matter what i do, the 0,0,0 of the 3d software is where the rootpart is gonna be created.
here is an example of what is the workflow of a normal rigging/animating.
the rig stays above the 0,0,0.
in fact the 0,0,0 is the ground of the 3d space.

2 Likes

I think what he means is that every modeler models above 0,0,0. And if you were to import a character above this, it causes the RootPart to center by the feet in studio.
Feet centered on 0,0,0:
Importing into studio causes RootPart to be at the feet / character floats above ground:
@Dyzcroll You have to center the character’s crotch at 0,0,0 which is really inconvenient. Hoping they will change this.

exactly, i use the 0,0,0 as ground for animating as well.

Got it. I’ve logged this as an issue.

2 Likes

Hello, I’ve made a Torso accessory that bends, and I want each of the 2 bones to follow the UpperTorso and LowerTorso, accordingly;
My hope is that this prevents the accessory from clipping through the player when moving.
Is this possible?

what i think it woud be nice to have is creating a bone or part in blender/3d software that is called RootPart or HumanoidRootPart that the roblox studio will get this part/bone and use as position for create and weld the rig to it.

Seem reasonable - I’ve passed along your suggestion.

1 Like

The joints will need to be named UpperTorso, and LowerTorso - or there will need to be a Bone under those Parts with the same name of the joint.
Here it looks like the Bones are called “Bone” and “Bone.001”.
So you can make a Bone under UpperTorso, called “Bone” - or “Bone.001” - depending on which is the UpperTorso, or … you can rename those two joints in Blender/Maya (whatever is your authoring tool.), and call them “UpperTorso” and “LowerTorso.”

2 Likes

My animator created this boned skinned mesh, and animated it using cubic key frames. Is it required that we use linear key frames? Or is there another issue? The animation plays beautifully and loops fine in the default Roblox animator, yet when in the game (as seen in the video) the animation completely stops, pauses, then resumes. This has happened with all of our skinned meshes, humanoid or not.

1 Like