[OLD] SmartBone - An optimized module for Dynamically Simulated Bones

Yeah I manually weight painted my first rig,

Itā€™s not just this model it happens with others as well:

but it doesnt explain why it still shifts the rig to collapses in on itself even when I put stiffness to 1.

Iā€™ve tried re-rigging it from top to bottom instead of bottom to top, I also tried to rig it using separated bones only.

The only thing that worked was keeping the rig simplistic and not branching out too much which seemed to get the best results.

How do i run spring bones on server side?

i had a very similar problem with my meshes and for my case it was a weight map issue.
but in your case it might be something different.
i suggest looking into the models topology? its just wild a guess but its better than nothing

I also thought it was a topology problem, and remade the same model twice. However it still happens on both of them

Old Model

Current Model

I used Subdivision surface modifier for the new model, could it be that causing the issue?

I think ur trying to make like a soft body effect on your model. try to not to place your bones likes ur rigging a character, instead Im thinking something like this. Just a thought, not sure tho.

2 Likes

this used to be the case, my gameā€™s modelā€™s animations werent overwritten by the smartbones but now they are for some reasonā€¦ im trying to find a fix desperately, do you ahve any ideas???

Before: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1120858541163548783/1124695462310592613/Desktop_2023.07.01_-_16.37.16.01.mp4?ex=656b3346&is=6558be46&hm=e7d2132dcd1f606e47a1779914383e79e54a0be52dc196f5a63f71877994f3b2&

After: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1122730811775516672/1177625518519091221/Desktop_2023.11.24_-_18.01.27.03.mp4?ex=6573303a&is=6560bb3a&hm=259bbcc8592f31a259545ac98e540655d5fb90a5ca229d0a5dc7a0b667ad5b3b&

Cool game! Im not sure if there is a problem in those videos(?), if anything, it doesnt look bad at all and personally, I would rather have the SmartBones overwrite the animations. Everything already looks natural.But if you insist on doing something about it, the only thing I could tell you is to reverse engineer or look into the SmartBone code and change/add some things in there. Like a toggle or something. If I recall correctly, there is a function that resets the bones transformation. Not sure if it can be communicated with 3rd-party scripts though.

1 Like

Itā€™s not a SmartBone error but a model error. The only reason I see is that some of the bones are connected. Not in blender but in Roblox.

Iā€™ve had this happen to me for my first capes and models when I tested the module. Iā€™m no modeler nor that good at Blender, but I do learn fast. I fixed this error by selecting the model in Blender then clicking: Object > Convert > Mesh

I canā€™t tell you exactly why this helps, but it did for me. When I tried to use SmartBone on some Roblox catalog items it would somehow connect the bones and stretch the model weirdly or collapse it. Itā€™s either this or it could be something with gravity settings. Good luck

1 Like

thanks man iā€™ll try this out, and let you know how it goes! :smiley:

Nope didnā€™t work for meā€¦ still having the issue.

Yooooo figured out the issue!!! I thinkā€¦ after making like a 100 different rigs for the same character I found out what was causing the problem.

It seems like if a bone has more than 2 child bones the collapsing effect takes place. So to get around the issue I made it so I add an extra bone everytime I want to branch out.

tyty! but the thing is the model/smartbone isnt the issue, those two videos are all from the same exact save fileā€¦ idk why it broke suddenly but im trying to get it back to the before. I assume its probably an update roblox made but either way i need it back to before PLEASE GAWD

SmartBone 2

11 Likes

SmartBone 2 is officially released! Our early christmas gift to you all! :slight_smile:

15 Likes

I still get this error despite having this included in the WaitForChildOfClassFunction, Iā€™ve tried breaking the loop when the timeOut is exceeded too but it hasnā€™t changed anything.

Edit: Swapped to smartbone 2 after finding out it was released and all errors involving the module are now gone. Ignore this!

1 Like

I thought the SmartBone was a plugin

Now when I try to use this, itā€™s giving me a bunch of errors about ā€˜TooltipContainerā€™.

When I tried playing the demo, nothing happened. Is there any fix?

I came across this same error and I removed some scripts that i think might be conflicting with it try doing that.

1 Like

Iā€™ve reported this issue to the maintainer of that module. However this error shouldnā€™t occur in game and only in studio.

2 Likes