SmartBone 2 - Simulated Physics and Collision solution for Bones

SmartBone 2

Github

Releases

With the release of SmartBone 2 a lot of things have changed, not only with features but also the code base and UX, the biggest feature yet is Collisions! SmartBone 2 has full support for collision with colliders on any object with many different shapes.

You can find out more info in the documentation

Funnily enough its almost been a whole year since SmartBone 1 released, 343 days as of this post. I’ll do a quick run over what’s new.

• Support for animating root bones
  • More realistic wind solver
  • Support for global wind (MatchWorkspaceWind Attribute)
  • More accurate and faster frustum culling (Large root parts now have correct culling)
  • Detailed documentation and API
  • Runtime debug UI (Debug Attribute)
  • Cleaner code base
  • Collision support
  • More constraints (Distance and Spring)
  • Helper plugins for setting up SmartBone objects and Colliders

Over the past 3 months a lot has been done and we are excited to finally share it with you! A few notes are that at the moment we don’t fully believe it’s production ready, there is definitely going to be bugs or oversights, this is more of an open testing so we can flesh out everything finish off any optimization and bug fixes.

There is a demo place which has colliders and over 170 SmartBone objects setup.

You can find the plugins here:
Collider Creator
SmartBone Editor

If you aren’t sure what SmartBone is at all then check out this post.

Thanks for supporting SmartBone and the development of SmartBone 2, we look forward to your feedback!

P.S. Huge thanks to @jake_4543 for working with me on making this a reality and @tyridge77 for supporting the development directly

If you’d like to support us and the future development of SmartBone, you can send Robux donations here or direct currency donations here

276 Likes

i’m really excited. btw i love the gta6 trailer banner you made
(edit: why did you remove it, it looked really cool)

15 Likes

The banner is now on the smartbone 1 post SmartBone - An optimized module for Dynamically Simulated Bones - #315 by jake_4543

10 Likes

What a year to remember! Thanks for the collision support, a new era for SmartBone starts!

10 Likes

FINALLY, one question though: will you consider adding this to wally? or is it already on wally IDK!

8 Likes

I’ll look into wally support tommorow, never really used it before but it doesn’t seem to hard.

6 Likes

No permission to play the demo place but thanks a lot for continuing work on SmartBone. This module truly helps creators bring their games to life.

7 Likes

Should be public, weird that you’re unable to join
You are able to download the place file though so try that

9 Likes

The place is still private, i can’t join.

4 Likes

LES GO, This has become a reality for the public!

5 Likes

Hopefully I’ve fixed it now, tell me if you can or cannot join

5 Likes

I think there is a weird bug.
When i open it in an incognito window i have the play button, but when i open it on my account in normal window it says it is private!

5 Likes

Is this backwards compatible with the first generation? Like do I have change tags and bones?

3 Likes

Sweet thanks.

Why does some of the hair go through the chair?

10 Likes

It would appear Christmas has arrived early.

10 Likes

Hugely impressive! My coworker threw together an extremely dirty skinned version of a scarf in our game which normally clips into player necks when they look down (and the draping part defies gravity when they look up.)

Even with the scuffed weight painting on our end it does great, these are amazing results OOTB! (GIF too large thus discord link below)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/852780193709555712/1181098434120405043/RobloxStudioBeta_bMFwVBIyOu.gif

9 Likes

Early Christmas present from the Goat. :pray:

5 Likes

7 Likes

It should be backwards compatible there are new features but all old ones should work similar or the same

4 Likes

I forgot to add a collider to the back of that chair

5 Likes