Smooth Terrain Flatten Tool Doesn't Flatten

The new Smooth Terrain Flatten tool doesn’t actually properly flatten terrain.

It seems like it has trouble flattening Voxels that have half fill values and I’ve found that it depends on what Voxel you click on. This affects my workflow because my game relies on flat terrain for players, vehicles, and AI pathfinding to work properly. Due to this bug I can’t really use this feature how I’d like to.

4 Likes

Have you tried using the “Fixed Plane” option in the Flatten Tool?

2 Likes

It seems like that has better results, but is there any reason why Fixed Plane would have more accurate flattening than without?

1 Like

when you click to use the flatten tool, that point is used to create a reference plane to flatten to. The tool flattens by eroding material above the flatten plane and growing below the flatten plane. Using fixed plane ensures the same flatten plane is used between clicks.

We did find an edge case when investigating this issue though and have filed a bug for it.

6 Likes

I’m still experiencing this bug; the flatten tool only flattens to voxel increments of 4. When set to Fixed Plane mode, setting the Y value to 3, 4, 5, or 6 all have the same effect (they flatten to Y=6). The grow, erode, and smooth tools all allow you to work with voxel increments smaller than 4, it would be nice if the flatten tool could do so as well.

2 Likes

We recently updated the flatten tool as part of the Terrain QOL beta and it should address the issues specified here. It also implements the functionality @Akkurat is asking for. You can read some of the details here: Terrain Tool Beta: QOL Improvements - #45 by YodelerYoshi

2 Likes

You broke it.

This is intended behavior and not broken. The recommended workflow is to use the grow tool to create new terrain and the flatten tool only to even out the elevation. Please check the linked post in my original reply for details on why this change was made.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.