Smooth Terrain Should Play Different Sounds

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to immerse the player into their environments due to the depressing lack of variety in sounds when walking over smooth terrain.

The soft squish of snow, the gentle sound of grass, the creak of wooden planks, the squelch of mud, the crunchiness of leafy grass, the soft shifting of sand, all lost to one generic, monotonous walking sound.

Please, add different walking sounds for different terrain. We only have two so far: water and non-water. Which is not adequate at all.

I would also like an easier way to change the sounds, if this gets implemented, with a “properties” sort of thing. Some way of adding custom sounds without any programming involved.

Even just hard v.s. soft terrain sounds would be nice. This could be the default for low-end, laggier devices, while better devices could take on unique sounds.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because players would be able to become better immersed in the game due to realistic sounds.

26 Likes

This sounds like a you problem, it’s already possible to modify the RbxCharacterSound script to add this behaviour

I recommend you look into this property: https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/api-reference/property/Humanoid/FloorMaterial

5 Likes

Honestly, I feel like this should be something turned on by default, similar to how water has its own sound effects, instead of having the developer script it in.

It is just like how Roblox is introducing part to terrain. There’s already plugins for it, you might say, so what’s the purpose? So that everyone, even those who don’t have the plugin can use it.

I’m not asking for a way to add sounds, but to have sounds by default. I know that already exists.

Do you understand the difference?

Thank you.

7 Likes

The point is that it is not needed because it’s incredibly easy to do it yourself. I did it in 10 minutes. I would much rather have Roblox focus on things that are actually worthy of attention.

Dude, you’re an experienced programmer with 7 years worth of development. I have almost no knowledge on programming, and I bet many others don’t too.

Anyone just beginning in studio, or anybody who doesn’t know programming would greatly benefit from this.

Every single showcase of terrain out there would be improved by a lot. Do not underestimate how powerful sound design can be.

I’d also like to bring up that terrain is already getting major eye candy updates, shown in RDC. Having all that realism just for most developers to find out their terrain makes the same sound seems silly.

If terrain visuals are worthy of attention, shouldn’t sound design also?

Lastly, for any programmers, that’s 10 minutes off developing your game. It would benefit everyone.

5 Likes

Cc @FilteredDev Please refrain from arguing down feature requests with this kind of logic. We can implement many many things ourselves with the tools we have, but that doesn’t mean it should be necessary that we must. The argument should be towards how reasonable it is to ask every developer on the platform to do this themselves.

While I’m not sure what kind of impact it would have on loading to have a bunch of unique sounds for walking, it would be good to at least make the distinction between walking on hard and soft surfaces. That’s simply one additional set of footstep sounds, and if implemented in the right way, can be made simple for developers to extend it themselves with additional sounds per material.

8 Likes