Smooth Terrain swimming but inside of parts[v3.0]

I needed a way for players to swim inside of parts, but 1-1 with roblox’s smooth terrain voxel water swimming for ease of use/familiarity

Instead of any custom swimming controller trickery, I made a rather simple module that tricks the humanoid into thinking it’s in voxel water + some simple emulated drag and buoyancy to make it sufficiently close to the real thing

There’s no setup required or external dependencies, control scheme is the exact same so no need to worry about cross platform support or anything

Here it is!
SwimController.rbxl (75.9 KB)

142 Likes

Thats really cool

Here is mine to swim everywhere you want

local plr = game.Players.LocalPlayer
local char = plr.Character or plr.CharacterAdded:Wait()
local hum = char:WaitForChild("Humanoid")
local hrp = char:WaitForChild("HumanoidRootPart")

local Antigrav = Instance.new("BodyForce")
Antigrav.Force = Vector3.new(0,workspace.Gravity * hrp:GetMass(),0)

local Enabled = false
game:GetService("RunService").Stepped:Connect(function()
	if hum.MoveDirection.magnitude == 0 then
		hrp.Velocity = Vector3.new(0,0,0)
	end
	if Enabled == true then hum:ChangeState(Enum.HumanoidStateType.Swimming) end
end)

local UIS = game:GetService("UserInputService")

UIS.InputBegan:Connect(function(input)
	if input.KeyCode == Enum.KeyCode.G then
		for _,z in pairs(char:GetDescendants()) do
			if z:IsA("BasePart") and z ~= hrp then
				z.Massless = true
			end
		end
		if Enabled == true then 
			Enabled = false 
			Antigrav.Parent = nil
			for _,z in pairs(Enum.HumanoidStateType:GetEnumItems()) do
				if z.Name ~= "Swimming" then
					hum:SetStateEnabled(z,true)
				end
			end
		else 
			Enabled = true
			Antigrav.Parent = hrp
			for _,z in pairs(Enum.HumanoidStateType:GetEnumItems()) do
				if z.Name ~= "Swimming" then
					hum:SetStateEnabled(z,false)
				end
			end
		end
	end
end)

Probably not good for the performance but works

3 Likes

Similar idea but yours doesn’t seem to work(slapped it in a localscript and G did nothing but make my limbs go crazy) or have drag or buoyancy

Fixed a bug that was causing you to sometimes float upward while swimming(when it should only do that during idle)

See top of post for updated rbxl

2 Likes

Pretty nice! However it’s kinda weird (as in animations) if i have R6 enabled. (not sure if its the fault of head movement scripts that i have in my game)

1 Like

If I remember correctly, R6 has always behaved like this underwater.

3 Likes

The previous solution calculated drag really poorly and generally was quite a bit broken from this

Thanks to @AntiBoomz0r a new solution is here, this should properly emulate voxel water forces much better. Should support R6 too

Updated file, will update the post as well

SwimController.rbxl (74.8 KB)

1 Like

New update:

• character is now affected by buoyancy when seated/platformstanding/dead/physics
  • Now only disables GettingUp and Jumping when swimming, so no more godmode from dead state being disabled
  • Made jumping on surface closer to how terrain works (can just hold space and jump on top of water)
  • Added option to clamp upward movement when on the surface

SwimController.rbxl (75.9 KB)

8 Likes

It’s not hard to code R6 to have swimming animations. I’ve done it.

Noticed a bug, if you jump in water while swimming in R6 mode, the character suddenly floats to the bottom and behaves like if it was in low gravity enviroment.

2 Likes

hi, im having this issue where when i die, it doesnt work anymore

2 Likes

This is a simple and easy-to-use module, though it does have some bugs that I’d appreciate be checked out

1. Buoyancy does not remain the same when gravity is changed – I checked the module to see if you were recalculating every time gravity changed. I found that it did in fact recalculate, so there’s likely to be a miscalculation in one of the forces

2. Heavy characters (like big characters) cannot swim downwards as the buoyancy force counteracts the swimming force. I cannot confirm if the behavior is the same with R15 though

Yeah R15 works and you can jump out the water but not with R6

Cool resource, using it in a game, but one small bug and hopefully you can help with this, the module doesnt work with mobile as it disables jumping while swimming, which hides the mobile button, is there a way to give this back?

If you can please contact me here or on Discord, user is the same as my Roblox user.

Here’s a quick and dirty fix. Should work fine

self._stateMaid:Add(game:GetService("UserInputService").JumpRequest:Connect(function()
  self._didJump = true
end))
-- Add this after that line ^
local TouchGui = Players.LocalPlayer.PlayerGui:FindFirstChild("TouchGui")
local button = TouchGui and TouchGui:FindFirstChild("JumpButton",true)
if button then
  button.Visible = true
end
1 Like

Hello, Are you going to make this script for r6? That would be nice