Solution to reorganizing a parts front facing direction

For quiet a lot of years I have been having issues with trying to reorganize BasePart’s front facing directions, aka CFrame.LookVector.

If there was an option in studio to roll the dice on the 6 surfaces again, it would allow for some very dynamic character cosmetics like armor or helmets. Cause in this instance, all we would have to do is;

helmet.CFrame = head.CFrame, asuming ofcourse the helmets pivot is equal to the head’s position.

I’m sure I can’t be the only one. I have found a fix sometime ago, and I tought I should share since I have not seen any topic about this online yet.

The proces of doing this is funky but it works, and it’s deffinitelly possible to make a plugin for this.

(edit) If you are trying to reorient a mesh, you are better of seeing this, i linked the solution for this case here but it requires you to install blender:

So, how to do it?

As you can see, we have a wedge part here to set an example.

But we want its front facing direction to be on the opposite side like so.

The way to do this is to create a new normal part, and use a decal as a guide to show its front facing direction. Make sure the decal is on the correct surface of the part.

The next step is to rotate this part towards the direction you want the wedge to be front facing.

Next, make sure the part (with the guide decal) is made small enough, so it can be hidden inside the wedge. Make sure this guide part is still facing the same direction you want the wedges front direction to change to.

Final step, union the 2 parts. But make sure when selecting the parts, select the guide part FIRST.
To properly select parts in order, use CTRL + CLICK on the parts, make sure the guide part is selected first, the order afterwards does not matter. After that, just union the parts together using CTRL + SHIFT + G.

Now to quickly visualize if the front direction of the wedge has changed, insert a decal, and set it’s surface to front. This should be the outcome.

Let me know if this also works for you.

9 Likes

you can’t union meshes though hhh

1 Like

read the post before replying.

2 Likes

ohh, I did reead the post but I didn’t check that

1 Like

You have my eternal gratitude.

1 Like

but we will still have to repeat this process for all parts, re parent them and rename them, which will take a lot longer than just rotating them, i wish there was an easier way

1 Like

unfortunately, yes, but I’m rooting for this functionality to be added by default inside Roblox Studio at some point.

1 Like