[SOLVED] Does Roblox modify meshes to have more edges?

Hey, while I was messing around in Roblox Studio I toggled the Wireframe Rendering plugin and discovered that there is more edges in the mesh than what was in Blender.

Is this intentional or is this a bug? If this is intentional do you think Roblox should make it so it uses the same amount of edges that you had inside of Blender?

How it looks it Blender:

How it looks in Roblox Studio:

Roblox uses tris, not quads for their faces.
When you load a Mesh from Blender to Roblox it divides your mesh into triangles.

2 Likes

I made a topic about this too, check the answer

The meshes are made from triangles, while in blender the triangles are invisible, but by default, all meshes are saved and loaded in the form of triangles, and its obvious why it is visible in Roblox, its an imported file and will have the mesh in a triangle form

Oh ok, would it be better if Roblox moved to Quads instead of tris?

So these extra edges are completely fine and don’t affect performance?

I still don’t like it because it makes things ugly lol.

1 Like

I doubt they’re going to.
If you go to the Faces menu in Blender and use the Quads to Tris tool you’ll see exactly what your Mesh will look like in Roblox.

Yeahhh… I figured that out earlier today lol although I got a little bit of a different result but pretty close. I’m still learning all this collision and triangle stuff. In one of my models I had over 1 million triangles but I got figured out where that came from so I’ll come up with a new idea for that. I got it down to 50k triangles otherwise.

Nope, they don’t actually increase the tris count, which matters. So no, as long as your tris count is kept to the minimum, you should be totally fine!

Hmmm, 50k+ tris ok for a train? Would be 1M+ with seats but I’ll remodel the seats with a simpler design Lol

1 Like

Can you post a screenshot of the train in here?

Sure!

1 Like

Wow, that’s really high detail for 50k tris. As you said, if you can, make the seats more efficient, but the outside of the train looks really good for the amount of tris it has.

Good job! :grin:

1 Like

Thank you! I’ve also been working on a freight train… looks the exact same just modified. A really good idea I have is to duplicate 1 cab and use it across the entire train to have less mesh id’s

Here’s a picture of the freight train for if your interested.

This one uses 27k tris this includes the overhead wires and tracks.

1 Like

Looks amazing, and I still have to figure out how to texture in blender :sob:

Anyways, good luck with your game!

1 Like

Thank you!

Haha same I know how to color things but not sure how to actually texture things. I do want to learn how to texture things to use less meshes for details.

Thanks, hopefully it goes well and still a long way left to go lol.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.