Sounds not playing correctly in workspace (server side)

Hello, first off sorry for the unclear title, not sure how to word it correctly since it’s an odd bug I really don’t understand. So, right on to what is happening: for whatever reason it appears that any sound (instantiated by the server) into a workspace object will not play the sound, or well, except it does.

For whatever reason, no matter what properties you set it, it’ll only be able to be listened to if your camera is within about < 0.8 studs from the center of the object the sound is in.

I’ve tried looking around the devforum and even some small posts on other sites to see if this was a known bug, the closest I got was this and vetexgames actually said he managed to fix it, but this fix was not even roblox-related, it was just his audio settings, which would be weird because I haven’t changed my audio settings at all recently and have kept them at defaults since I really don’t know much more about headphones than plug in, sound work.

Oh yeah, probably should’ve said this so quick p.s: Client sounds work fine, anything inside the client works 100% fine, but I really don’t want to go change like 300 sounds from the server to run client sided, so I’d like to know if this is just me being dumb or not.

1 Like

Is the sound parented by a Part? Or is it just in the workspace?

If it’s parented by a part/model, make sure your properties for the EmitterSize and MaxDistance aren’t set to a small amount.

If these are set correctly but you are still having the same problem, make sure your script isn’t changing any of these properties.

(I would recommend playing the game and checking the properties of your sound while in-game to see if the MaxDistance and EmitterSize properties are still set correctly.)

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Already tried to set it, even set both of them to 99999 to see, no effect. It’s odd too because some games I play wont play the audio anymore either… makes me curious if it really has to do with my headphone settings. Thanks though!

Sounds played on server should replicate to client. Don’t forget to check Volume too and raise it. By default, the value is set on 0.5.

If it doesn’t work, it’s probably on your hardware.

Yup, tried that too. I’ll check out my audio settings later to see if that’s the case.
Update if I found anything ^^

Just out of curiosity, You have made sure the sound is playing, right? I’ve done that before.

Yes, it is playing. I can hear the audio but only when my camera is <= 0.8 or so studs from the center of whatever object the sound is in.

[quote=“vetexgames, post:11, topic:20340”]
Maybe it depends on the OS or something? Also, I can hear sounds sometimes, but only when my camera is right next to the part that has the sound in it.
[/quote] I’m not sure how you’d check this, but this is all I got.

Darn mobile formatting…

Was indeed my hardware. Apparently my headphones don’t work in quadraphonic which is what they were set to, so while roblox was trying to run it in 4d it was only playing sounds through L and R.

1 Like