Spaces Between Lined Up Parts

Does anyone know how to get rid of those annoying spaces and lines that don’t go away?

They bother me a lot and ruin the builds. ;-;

11 Likes

What kind of Studio tools do you use? Built-in ones or plugins? I find that many devs who use built-in tools have the issue most often. I know someone here has made a really handy plugin that snaps all parts to the nearest [whatever amount] which might help you.

But to prevent them in the future, I’ve found that using Studio Build Suite (and likely other variants, I just prefer SBS) allows me to keep track of my increment counter.

Never had a problem with it, personally.

Hope this is at least somewhat helpful!

2 Likes

I guess using classic tools isn’t always the best choice. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

They may or may not be - I didn’t mean to make you switch you to plugins haha!

I don’t want devs to think you have to follow some sort of creative process in order to use Studio. We’re all different :sweat_smile:

I guess I’m just speaking from personal experience. Honestly I just don’t use the built-in tools simply because they don’t have an increment counter and I’m hyper-sensitive to accuracy - down to 0.01 in some cases :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: Check out this thread for some plugin recommendations if you feel so inclined of course :smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah, you can put 2 1x1x100 Parts side by side and their Positions may be at (0) and (1) stud, but if you type in (0.0000000000000) and (1.00000000000000) you may not see this difference in your final Workspace rendering.
Angles of 0,90,180 may not be at precisely those angles either.

Truth be told I’ve typed in decimal values in the 1/10,000 value spot to move a Part ever so slightly. A lot of it has to do with floating decimal issues from what I hear.

2 Likes

@SirDoomKnight is all too familiar with this. I believe he said the best solution is to use plugin build tools, as the roblox ones are broken.

1 Like

I can see that you need to fix the high amount of decimals in the parts. You may fix it by manipulating the size property or the position property.

I’ve encountered these problems for me when I started, until I realized that you could use properties to get exact positions and sizes.

EDIT: Otherwise it’s surfaces.

1 Like

Right I forgot the term Floating Decimal to explain it better :sweat_smile:
Thanks for expanding on the explaination :slight_smile:

1 Like

I see this a lot with free model trains and other vehicles. I call it ‘brick shift’ or ‘CFrame gap glitch’. I use a plugin called qCmdUtl by Quenty that makes building a lot more organized and controlled; my increments are 0.25 for resizing and moving.

I don’t blame you for being bothered by the gaps; they bother me a lot too. In fact, if any of my builds gets one, I don’t proceed to the next step until it’s resolved.

1 Like

Try using the snapping features from Building Tools by F3X:

2 Likes

Funny thing is I use pretty much only default tools and I haven’t really had any problems that I can think of. Also, you can set up hotkeys for studio tools so you can change your movement increment with just your keyboard and it’s possible to go down to 0.01 with that. The only time I use plugins is for special movement default tools can’t do easily (that I know of).

I just had an idea and I’m wonder if part of the fact I don’t have trouble is that I have a generic part I made as a model so I can easily get my presets I like but I’m often inserting a new one instead of re-using parts which might reduce floating-point errors that other people seem to get. Just a theory though and I have no evidence to back this claim up either way.

2 Likes

Yea I know of a few other builders who use default tools and their work is fine, maybe there’s another causation to the correlation that we’re missing? Interesting creative process though, that might be a key to a solution?

Also I know of the increment tool, what I find more useful is the increment counter that’s built into the plugin that I’ve yet to find in vanilla studio.

1 Like

I use the built-in tools, and I try to position things as multiples of 0.1 studs, as these values never seem to round weirdly after using transform tools, whereas values like 0.25 become 0.3, 0.75 becomes 0.8 etc.

EDIT: June 2018, this is no longer the case. Something has changed with the move dragger tool that invalidates this strategy, and now seems to favor values with nice binary representation, like powers of 2 (0.125, 0.25, 0.5, 1, etc. not so much 0.1).

2 Likes

That’s a good rule of thumb, certainly. The only issue I’d have then is when fixing z-fighting, I move the part 0.01 (or even 0.005) out of its neighbour, fixing the fighting and is almost unnoticeable.

If I used the built in tools for that, it wouldn’t work as often I’d guess.

Still a good tip for built-in tool users nonetheless.

2 Likes

Personally, I use zero point one and two, too. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m with Aotrou here, I use all sorts of values when I’m placing items since I usually try to add a lot of detail.

I tend to use the Studio tools as well as qCmdUtl for certain things but lots of times I don’t even use tools, just manually change the Position values in the Properties window when I’m getting really nit-picky about moving Parts.

1 Like