Spatial Voice has performance issues

Reproduction Steps
This is an issue that occurs regardless of experience or device.

To reproduce, simply enable spacial voice, hop in a server with a notable amount of people, and watch the micro profiler.

@headstackk has also informed me that an usually large amount of LuaHeap is seen when using spacial voice in Weaponry.

Device specifications:

• AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core CPU
  • 16 GB Memory
  • 1.5 SSD Storage
  • Ethernet connection
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Ti GPU

UPDATE: After disabling spacial voice chat in my experience, my frame rate has increased from 90-120 FPS to a consistent 139-144 FPS. This demonstrates the invasiveness of the spacial voice frame time.

Expected Behavior
I expect spacial voice to be non-invasive to my experiences.

Actual Behavior
Extremely long frame times are caused by spacial voice. These are put under the emotes menu master thread.

Here is what I get on average:

Here is an extreme example, where the frame time is so long I couldn’t even fit it on my screen:

Workaround
The only workaround is to completely disable voice chat.

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Performance
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly

14 Likes

I think the performance deterioration comes from how many people are in the server with spatial voice chat enabled, if the game has any modules that use voice chat for a special use, and how far away your internet connection is from the server (both voice and game servers).

Just to get more information, if I may ask, how do you know spatial voice chat is the cause of performance issues? And how have you defined that as the root cause?

1 Like

Long frame times in the micro profiler from voice chat only appear only when it is enabled, regardless of how many users have it enabled.

This frame time, for example, is so long that it can’t be visually produced on screen in one screenshot.

Could you clarify? This isn’t very helpful without some context.

This isn’t a workaround, as the voice chat still has long frame times. My projects have been optimized to oblivion, and I have an FPS unlocker running at all times. (Side note, you should be using an FPS unlocker anyways when reading the microprofiler)

Optimizing other things is not a workaround, it’s a band-aid. No matter what you do to other parts of the game, the spacial voice feature will still have long frame times. In short, both the game and the core engine features should be equally optimized.

@r0cto Their response also answers your question here.

2 Likes