SPRING 2021 REMOTE Accelerator Opportunity

Will there ever be remote solo opportunity :pleading_face:

The requirements for people outside the US to go over there is near impossible for most (talking about acquiring the Visa) and so the most likely only way I could ever get a shot at this program is if it’s remote :frowning:

Trying to find a team is also really hard :confused:

5 Likes

I don’t think pandemic will be over at least in the next few months. But even if it does bringing people from other countries as accelerators wouldn’t be the best idea since pandemic’s situation is different for each country.

1 Like

Many teams don’t tend to finish within 3 months. A solo person would have an even tougher time to complete the task. Put yourself out there on the Mingling Thread and see what kind of response you end up with.

If nobody is coming for you to join them, go after others to join you. How “hard” finding a team is, is dependent on the effort you put in to find one.

5 Likes

Finding competent and motivated team members who you go well with on Roblox is much tougher than you make it sound like.

1 Like

Forgive me if this is off topic, will remote positions like this stem over to other opportunities like the 2021 software eng. internship?

1 Like

Doubtful. There’s a lot of work that has to be done for a team, so I would imagine going solo would be regretful anyways.

2 Likes

I’m confident that question was directed towards Roblox officials.

So with all respect, why would you reply?

I for sure wonder about the same thing, so it’s not helping that you or anyone else would reply with an unofficial answer.

1 Like

Just applied and saw this message;

Thank you for applying! You’ll receive a reply from us July 1, 2020 with more information.

Hopefully this project has a time machine for us

3 Likes

HAH will fix this. I definitely used the same survey we used for our Fall sign-ups :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Damn, I was looking forward to getting a Time Machine as part of the Equipment Reimbursement!

5 Likes

Shoot 1 person on my 7 person team is under 18 ugh

5 Likes

Depending on the success of this will more be held remotely? I feel that doing a few more internships remotely after the pandemic will make it easier for people living outside the USA. Most should be in person but a remote one every once in a while might be worth trying.

4 Likes

This is a very interesting opportunity, but I since I’m still in school it won’t be possible. Good luck to whoever signs up!

But, if I were to join and convince two of my friends to join this program, would they need prior Lua/Roblox Studio experience? They got experience in other programming languages and game design (etc. Unity), but not so much about Roblox.

2 Likes

cc @iGottic

It wouldn’t be so much solo though. More so 1 person in the program, but you can then just find people to help with the game, who aren’t participating.

2 Likes

People have done that in the past, but things don’t typically go well in that kind of case. If you’re being paid thousands of dollars per month to work on a game 40 hours a week and your teammates aren’t, your teammates aren’t likely to actually work 40 hours a week. Heck, they might not work at all and then leave the project, and then you’re scrambling to find a replacement.

Just look around for a team, I’m sure you’ll find some stragglers looking to piece something together. With the remote ability of this internship, it makes it such that even more people will be looking to apply. A lot of people used to be hung up on the moving to the states part of it.

6 Likes

True true I guess. There’s numerous factors that prevent me from fully applying anyway. Noteabley being that the meeting times fall between 1am-9am my time. Don’t think I could go 3 months with 0 sleep

1 Like

How much of a factor is time zones for a team being accepted? If you are working from Europe, would this still be possible if meetings can be scheduled as early as possible in the 10am-6pm pst time range? 10am would be 6pm in England; a lot of us work pretty late anyways so meetings at 10pm for the Europeans wouldn’t be a big hurdle. And if this arrangement would be possible, will it play any bearing on likelihood of a team being accepted? For example, would a team leader be at an advantage if they pick American teammates rather than European teammates?

Another question, does Roblox have a preference for smaller or larger teams? Would it be more desirable to have a team that makes good use of all 5 slots, or does this not play a factor as long as the team isn’t too small, like only two people?

1 Like