SPRING 2021 REMOTE Accelerator Opportunity

1/5/2021 UPDATE: We have sent messaging out to the individuals who we will be moving forward with. Thank you to all teams who applied! Keep an eye out for our Summer 2021 Application, which will be out in the next few weeks.

Hello Developers,

We’re looking to accelerate the growth of existing, and brand new up-and-coming Roblox Teams / Studios this Spring. We are looking for teams who want to create a new experience, or improve an existing one . Roblox is looking to mentor teams on game design, production management, and platform best practices. Those who participate in our program provide direct feedback to our Product, Engineering, and DevRel teams.

All participants must be 18+ years old. There are NO EXCEPTIONS to this rule. Spring Program will be 100% remote. There are no on-site opportunities at this time.

Roblox is looking for 6 - 12 Roblox Teams / Studios for the Spring Accelerator. Teams must consist of at least 2 people. Each team can have a maximum of 5 participants in the program. Anyone who has tasks that must be completed for the game to ship and be functional must be a part of the program (typically a programmer and builder).

A participant will:

• Receive a stipend for the 12 week program to work on the project full-time.
  • Receive a one-time equipment reimbursement.
  • Be required to participate in daily stand-ups, production check-ins, as well as presentations, regular feedback sessions, and social hangouts.
  • Be expected to work full-time on their project. They will also be expected to attend various meetings that take place between 10a - 6p PST Monday - Friday. We will do our best to accommodate different time zones.

A participant must adhere to the following guidelines:

• MUST BE 18+. NO EXCEPTIONS.
  • No participant may participate in more than one program, per calendar year.
  • No participant may participate in two programs consecutively.
  • All participants must pass an extensive moderation check.
  • All participants must use a Microphone and Video Camera during scheduled zoom calls. These items should be purchased using the Equipment Reimbursement if not already owned.

We encourage you to collaborate with contractors, part-time developers, and any additional resources you need before, during, and after the program.

Applications closed January 4, 2021 at 10AM PST. You will hear back from us in early January. Program is set to begin Mid-February.

Looking to find other developers who are interested in participating in the Spring Accelerator? We’ve set up a Mingling Thread to help you find them!

FAQ

Do I need to attend in person?

• We are not currently hosting on-site internships / accelerators.

Do I need to be a US citizen to participate?

• No.

Can I get University credit from this?

• Many universities will provide credit for this program, but every school is different! You should consult with your university counselors and determine what credit you can receive. Roblox is happy to help with any information / documents you need completed, but it is your responsibility to execute on this.

How long is the program?

• 12 weeks.

When do I need to be 18 years old?

• You’ll need to be 18 years old before the beginning of February 2021.

Do I get paid? How much?

• Yes. You will learn about compensation if you participate in the program.

How much is the equipment reimbursement?

• Same answer as above.

What is the equipment reimbursement?

• Roblox will provide you funds to purchase equipment for you to do your development on. We recommend getting a computer with this, but you could also purchase headphones, drawing pads, mice, and whatever other equipment will help you be successful.

I have an up-and-coming studio that I am looking to expand. Can I lead a team, but use the 5 spots for new team members?

• Yes. We understand that some games may be financially supporting one or few developers, but unable to financially support team expansion. We can work with each team on a case-by-case basis to see how the 5 spots can be best utilized.

I will be in College during the Spring. Can I participate in the Accelerator while I am in College?

• If you are a full-time student, I wouldn’t recommend this. The Accelerator Program is a full-time program that requires participants to attend various meetings between 10am - 6pm PST Monday - Friday. We can work with teams on a case-by-case basis but we will prioritize teams who have the time to commit to their projects.

I submitted a form, but need to make changes. How can I do this?

• Your most recent form submitted will be the one we use. Just submit a new one!

Post any other questions you may have below! I look forward to learning more about you and your team.

190 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t September in Fall and not in Spring? The nomenclature seems really off! :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like an amazing opportunity though. Good luck to anyone who applies! :laughing:

ˑ༄ؘ ۪۪۫۫ ▹image◃ ۪۪۫۫ ༄ؘ ˑ

(^ヮ^✿)

52 Likes

Fixing this now! This should say February.

36 Likes

If the pandemic calms down a bit (from the current trends, the next few months seem a bit hopeful), is this subject to change?

11 Likes

As someone living & working in the Bay area…
I don’t think the pandemic will be “over” during 2021. Even if things start changing at a rapid rate, I wouldn’t expect the offices in this area to open up until late in 2021.

18 Likes

Unfortunately, this will not change.

13 Likes

Truly an amazing experience I had the pleasure of participating in this past Fall. Best of luck to those applying!

19 Likes

Best of luck to those who apply! I hope to apply for the summer one this year!

7 Likes

So you no longer need to be in collage or have a VISA to participate in the future, or is this just because its remote?

Do I need to be a US citizen in order to participate?
No. However, if you live outside the United States, you will need to qualify for a J-1 US exchange Visa. If you are accepted to participate, Roblox will assist you with the visa process. The visa requires you to be pursuing further education full-time in a college/university or to have graduated doing so within the last 12 months.”

7 Likes

Good luck to anyone applying! A remote position will be a really good opportunity for those who wish to continue or start development with Roblox. Excited to see what comes from this in 2021!

6 Likes

I feel, due to the current pandemic, university’s/collage requirements wont be as desired. They are probably giving people more of an opportunity to remotely work along side roblox, as stuff like this might not come as easily as a result of the ongoing lockdown. - But please, correct me if I am wrong. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The university requirement was purely a VISA requirement. Since our program is no longer 100% on-site, we can accommodate folks who are not in University.

10 Likes

Do you think you will be doing remote accelerator opportunities after the pandemic is over or will you go back to on-site?

9 Likes

Very interested in this, all I need is a team.

6 Likes

The accelerator program is one of the best ways to accelerate your Roblox learnings!

Just the talented people you’ll meet will be worth the experience alone

9 Likes

Good luck to everyone applying! This is an amazing experience and personally am hoping to get in for my second time!

10 Likes

Hiya!

What are the specific dates this accelerator will happen on? “Spring” is a bit vague (especially as someone living in Australia; the season changes about 8 times a week here).

Cheers!

2 Likes

Typically the program is February till about May.

5 Likes

This sounds like a great opportunity!

I won’t apply at this time, but I’m still curious… Does one need any specific education/experience in any form or shape? What can improve one’s chances of getting considered? ex. status, achievements, education etc.

5 Likes

I would totally go for this if I weren’t leaving for Navy boot camp February 1st.

Speaking of which, is it possible to still get my RDC merch from RDC 2021 without being there if I purchase a ticket?

5 Likes