Spring 2022 REMOTE Accelerator Program Opportunity

Are you looking to accelerate the growth of a team or an experience on Roblox? Are you interested in providing direct feedback on the platform? Are you hopeful for direct consultation on game design, production management, or platform best practices? If the answer to any of these questions is yes, the Accelerator Program may be right for you and your team.

The Accelerator Program will provide up to 5 individuals over $13,000 each (plus over $1,000 for technology) to work on a new or existing Roblox Experience full-time for 12 weeks. Roblox can contract your team as a company, or contract each individual of your team.

• Individuals must be 18 years or older. 2-5 Participants per team. NO EXCEPTIONS.
  • Technology lump sum is offered one time per individual. Additional program participation will not grant an additional technology lump sum.

During the program, participants will have access to talks, consultation, and round tables on game design, production management, and platform best practices. Participants will gain access to our Virtual DevSpace Discord Channel, where they and our previous program Alumni can converse and collaborate. At the end of the program, each team will present a summary of their experience (on Roblox, and during the program) to the entire Company! You also get a cool virtual hat for participating, and an even cooler one for accomplishing your goals.

Our Spring 2022 Program will be 100% remote.

Applications Closed

• Applications close October 25, 2021
  • Applicants will receive an email November 1, 2021 with more information

FAQ

How does Roblox select which teams participate in the program?

• Roblox is looking for teams who have completed a public experience on the Platform in the last two years. Roblox likes to see teams who are using the newest platform technologies, and have published games, with years of experience as a game developer.

What can teams expect during the application process?

• If we accept your team’s application, your team will do a 3-minute pitch for Roblox on Zoom. A template will be provided on the information Roblox would like to see. Roblox will score each pitch* and accept the highest-scoring teams, based on our individual headcount for each class**.

*details on how you are scored is provided to teams who reach this step

**2022 headcount ranges from 40-50 individuals

Why has Roblox not provided a Mingling Thread, similar to previous applications?

• Roblox is mainly targeting teams who are already working together. Teams who come together specifically for the program tend to fragment afterwards. We recommend self-organizing to find a team you will work with for the long run!

Do I need to attend in person?

• We are not currently hosting on-site internships / accelerators.

Do I need to be a US citizen to participate?

• No.

Can I get University credit from this?

• Many universities will provide credit for this program, but every school is different! You should consult with your university counselors and determine what credit you can receive. Roblox is happy to help with any information / documents you need completed, but it is your responsibility to execute on this.

When do I need to be 18 years old?

• You’ll need to be 18 years old before the program begins.

I have an up-and-coming studio that I am looking to expand. Can I lead a team, but use the 5 spots for new team members?

• Yes. We understand that some games may be financially supporting one or few developers, but unable to financially support team expansion. We can work with each team on a case-by-case basis to see how the 5 spots can be best utilized.

I will be in College during the Program. Can I participate in the Accelerator while I am in College?

• If you are a full-time student, we wouldn’t recommend this. The Accelerator Program is a full-time program that requires participants to attend various meetings between 10am - 6pm PST Monday - Friday. We can work with teams on a case-by-case basis but we will prioritize teams who have the time to commit to their projects.

I submitted an application, but need to make changes. How can I do this?

• Your most recent form submitted will be the one we use. Just submit a new one!

I have been an Accelerator before! Can I re-apply?

• You must wait 1 full year before applying again to the Accelerator Program. New individuals are always favored, so we recommend bringing some with you if you do plan on re-applying.
343 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 15 minutes.

Please avoid commenting on the age requirement, as it is off topic. By law, we are unable to offer the Accelerator Program to anyone under 18 years old. Thanks!

130 Likes

“Roblox likes to see teams who are using the newest platform technologies.”

• What kind of new platform technology are you referring to?
50 Likes

Here’s some examples:

50 Likes

What a great opportunity. Are remote accelerator programs something that’s gonna occur onwards as well? Hoping for another opportunity like this in Fall 2022 after I’ve graduated. :crossed_fingers:

51 Likes

When we are able to return to in-person, we will offer a hybrid model. There will be (x) amount of spots for remote, and (y) amount of spots for in-person.

55 Likes

My team is working on a new experience that’s likely to release around Winter, are we still able to apply despite having the project released much earlier than the expected date Spring 2022?

37 Likes

Not an authoritative answer here obviously, but the thread states you may work on an existing game if you do have one with a team. From what I’ve heard first hand typically this takes the form of delivering a major improvement or update to your existing project.

28 Likes

This is correct! Existing projects are allowed. Instead of pitching a new experience, pitch what you’ll be adding.

36 Likes

One game idea we had was a project similar to Hotline Miami to be one of Roblox’s first mature titles.

Is this program interested in experiences that appeal to a more mature audience?
https://blog.roblox.com/2021/09/introducing-age-verification/

32 Likes

We’re very interested in anything pushing the boundaries of what Roblox currently is. So, yes, we’re interested in experiences that appeal to a more mature audience.

42 Likes

Awesome. Good luck to anyone who applies.

25 Likes

Definitely will look into this in the future, I’m a year shy of the age requirement at the moment :’) Glad Roblox is providing these oppurtunities for devs, regardless!

27 Likes

maybe then just application who applies that very interested more in the future so yeah

20 Likes

This is one of the most amazing programs on Roblox!

Sadly I’m currently under-aged to participate, but I’m still looking foward to doing this when I’m 18. Hopefully when I’m old enough, this program will still be around!

However this just gives me more time to learn Lua-U and make some more friends!

I would like to comment on this:

That seems a bit shallow for how big the developer community is and how large the teams can be.

26 Likes

Seeing this thread now and I have some words for developers out there!

I strongly encourage anyone of any skill level and skill set to apply to this program. Even if you’re on the fence, you should still apply, but no pressure if you don’t want to! You have virtually nothing to lose out on challenging this opportunity. You basically get paid to do what you love, you can meet new people and it’s (sometimes) exciting to talk to staff about the platform.

I had the privilege and pleasure to be in the Summer 2021 Accelerator class and I had a lot of fun working on my project with my team. I was originally on the fence to apply as well and wasn’t sure if my skill set was adequate to keep up, but I heard the good news that our team passed and it was uphill from there. Absolutely my most pleasant development experience to date and that especially meant so much after I had just got off the heels of my worst development experience to date.

I absolutely encourage developers to apply if they’re looking to build their team dynamics, get to know new people, provide feedback to Roblox, have your most burning questions on the platform answered and just continue developing your projects further and beyond. Not to mention you can come join us in the Virtual DevSpace! Cool people like stravant hang out here. :slight_smile:

38 Likes

Each team can have minimum 2 participants and maximum 5 participants. If you have a larger development team, consider assembling a mix between your least and most experienced developers for your Accelerator team. The rest of your development team can support the Accelerator team in meeting their outlined goals for the project.

Although Accelerator teams are only so big and there are so many spaces in each class, outside help isn’t prohibited, they just won’t be contracted and therefore won’t receive the extensive support and resources that the Accelerator team will receive. If you have contractors or more developers, they can help the Accelerator team along throughout the program.

(Just don’t violate any of your contracts!)

If the concern is just the class size in general, it’s more manageable this way. Smaller class means better focus. That’s why there are multiple classes each season, so that more developers can get in. A larger class size might not be the best idea for what the program covers.

25 Likes

So, will all the team members need to be 18+?
Because, in my team, we have 2 people 18<

18 Likes