SteamVR forcefully opening when playing a game (Regression to how Roblox integrates with SteamVR)

SteamVR has been opening for me, but it only prompts me that it cant connect to my headset. Nothing else happens.

When closing out of the client, I get an error message.

13 Likes

issue seems to have been fixed :slight_smile:

1 Like

EDIT: Issue is still prevalent, read posts below.

Original text:

After a recent client update, I can confirm this issue has been fixed (at least on my end). Major thanks to everyone involved for the speedy response!

2 Likes

Yesterday, this bug was happening to me too; Even though my Meta Quest 2 isn’t probably even on, and isn’t connected to my computer, starting the Roblox client would take way longer because it would start up SteamVR before it would open. (Thankfully, it didn’t start in VR mode.)

I hope there is an update waiting for the client on my computer.

3 Likes

I can unfortunately confirm this is still continuing to happen on my end.

Even after playing earlier today, this issue suddenly and randomly pops up after a quick ‘update’ from ROBLOX, so I’m real glad that was pushed out.

After closing out all relevant tasks and programs (Steam, SteamVR, OVR, Virtual Desktop) and completely reinstalling ROBLOX Player, this issue is still happening.

HIGHLY disappointed with this, but what else is new with this company.

9 Likes

After this being fixed yesterday, another client update was sent out today (December 9th) that proceeded to unfix it. This is now still an issue.

10 Likes

This is still happening with me as well, but I don’t exactly know if there’s anything going on with my client.
I haven’t even gotten an update for Roblox on this, so I’m unsure if it was properly published.

This is disappointing but still hasn’t caused many issues for me personally, but I’m still waiting on a proper patch for this.

1 Like

Still getting this Steam VR popup every time I launch a game

just now:

4 Likes

i’m going to assume that all of you have ropro enabled. try disabling it and joining a game, see if that works. it’s probably not roblox, it’s ropro itself.

2 Likes

I’ve never even heard of Ropro and I’m having this issue.

It was fixed last night, but its started happening again to me as well.

6 Likes

weird, because when i disabled it, it stopped appearing for me. thats kinda… huh. check your extensions or something

2 Likes

back to having this vr problem :slight_smile:

7 Likes

having this issue as well, steamvr also opens up whenever I get teleported to a different place (not re-opening the roblox client)

6 Likes

I was having this issue too, I had no idea roblox had anything to do with it.
not sure if it got patched yet but until then I fixed it by going to the SteamVR folder in steamapps and changing the name to just SteamVRa. this made steam think its uninstalled and stopped it from opening randomly. I just change it back to its real name when I want to use it.

6 Likes

Yeah I seem to be having this issue too. Although I can close SteamVR without it closing Roblox.

But it is getting quite annoying especially with games that teleport you from place to place.

5 Likes

I am also experiencing this issue, especially when teleporting within a place. Steam isn’t running (until it automatically opens on its own), no VR hardware plugged in.

5 Likes

This issue has existed for a long time. It’s not attributed to any extensions. Launching the game with SteamVR hooked up to ROBLOX automatically launches it and makes it a dependency.

2 Likes

…huh? this is the first time i’ve heard of this issue, though, and i’ve been on roblox + had vr for a LONG WHILE now. not sure what you mean by “existed for a long time”. must be an oopsies on roblox’s side then

3 Likes

This issue hasn’t been a thing until around the time this issue was reported here, and I’ve had SteamVR hooked to ROBLOX for months now. If this was an issue that existed for a while, it’s telling how ROBLOX hasn’t bothered implementing any fix until the issue became mainstream.

And to comment on superhomer64’s idea: Unless RoPro or any browser-based ROBLOX extension touches the actual game client, which is a super-high security issue, they shouldn’t be an issue at all. I have BTRoblox installed, for example, before this issue came to light and it never affected my game client, only the website.

I’ll also add for anyone suffering that there’s a temporary fix: removing/renaming/moving the openvr folder in your appdata/local/ folder in any way can stop ROBLOX from opening in VR mode, but you’ll still have SteamVR opening any time the client opens or teleports to different experiences. Better than nothing until this company can be bothered to fix this.

7 Likes

This is still happening. My SteamVR doesn’t even launch with roblox as a dependency, I can still close it without closing roblox but this is still very annoying.

If you don’t use SteamVR regularly you can easily fix this by moving Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR into any folder but the common folder. It is a bit of a double edged sword, as SteamVR will stop working altogether, but it will stop SteamVR from launching. A good solution for people who don’t currently use their VR headsets or just have SteamVR installed for other reasons. You can simply drag it back into common when it’s fixed.