SteamVR: Launch Flow & Device Support Changes

I think it should be clarified to say “testing” as it’s a bit confusing.

5 Likes

Yeah this refers to play testing, not editing. We don’t support editing-in-VR just yet.

19 Likes

That feature would be freaking amazing. You can even tell how fun would it be if you can develop and make anything cool or I don’t know In VR via Roblox Studio. even in playtest or not.

6 Likes

You can already develop in VR on Oculus devices because of the Screen Mirror function. The same goes for other headsets but it seems to work best on Oculus Rift S for me.

When trying to input something you can use VR controllers as a mouse and the VR keyboard as input. But as of now there is no voice typing in VR and unless you want to spend longer time then needed scripting, building, or doing even the most basic functions of Roblox Studio, most VR developers take off there headset, make adjustments to their game on their computer, and then put there VR headset back on when they need to test it.

6 Likes

I’ve had to keep plugging and unplugging my HTC Vive whenever I wanted to use Studio since it would launch SteamVR as well automatically. Such a pain. Glad to see this change!

4 Likes

Does this mean we will finally be able use Oculus Quest with Virtual Desktop to play Roblox VR games? When is this fix going to be enabled? Because I just tried and it doesn’t appear enabled.

This is a thread discussing the specifc bug zeuxcg is referring to:

4 Likes

Glad to see VR get some attention after a while. Are there any plans to also make the launch changes for Oculus VR players like my self, perhaps just unsupport Oculus client and just make us use SteamVR?

I’d love to see some quality of life improvements for Roblox VR as well in the future like better camera system and KeyCode / UserInputType enums for specific controllers.

2 Likes

Thank goodness! Goodbye 3.5 months worth of SteamVR gameplay time. It looks like I’m trying to escape reality.

I hope this also resolves the issue where you can’t have more than one studio open with VR enabled, but I’m not really holding my breath!

8 Likes

some of a gun, stole my line.

Do we have an ETA on that version? I’m still getting reports of SteamVR users not being able to see the actual VR game?

1 Like

Will people who use Valve Index VR headset etc be able to connect to Roblox VR fine. Because I know way back it worked perfectly until recently when I tried to do it again and it just didn’t want to display Roblox correctly inside the headset.

3 Likes

THANK YOU!!!
I had made a post about this several years back and it was one of the main problem points of VR. I had to disconnect my headset anytime i wanted to open studio or play roblox, and im glad i dont have to now.

2 Likes

This is really nice. I no longer have to check if my valve index is plugged in before starting another studio window. I just have to simply close Steam VR. Previously it would close all the other studio windows without warning or asking if I want to save if I had my index plugged in.

2 Likes

LETS GOOOO! Thank you so much Roblox Staff! SideLoaded Quest 2’s can now play Roblox wirelessly and that is really cool! Expect to see ALOT more Vive, Steam Index, and WMR players Roblox! Have a good one. And cheers Roblox Staff!

4 Likes

I wonder if this will work with things like Virtual Desktop with that working on anything that supports SteamVr.

4 Likes

Also when exactly does this go live?

2 Likes

More VR support is desperately needed, countless roblox games use VR and its lack of support is saddening.

3 Likes

This is honestly a great thing to have. I love playing vr on roblox and would love to see this go through!

The change should be fully live as of yesterday night; if you are getting any continuing reports from users being unable to see the game, the reports must be stale and/or they may be using an old version of the client (which should not be possible). The version with the fix is 0.463.

Note that there’s an unrelated issue with new Universal App rollout that doesn’t support VR play; I believe we’re looking into that.

3 Likes

I have my vive breakout box stuck to my desk just so that I can easily unplug it for roblox.

Love to see this change!

1 Like

This has to be one of the best updates to VR yet. I have an Oculus Rift S and whenever I wanted to play Roblox it would start in VR since I usually keep my Headset plugged in. I would then have to unplug my headset then plug it back in again. Now I don’t have to anymore! Thanks guys :slight_smile:

1 Like