Streaming Enabled - Gameplay Paused UI stays for an infinite amount of time

An issue I’ve been facing with implementing streaming enabled in my experiences is the “Gameplay Paused” UI being stuck on my screen for well over 15 minutes, with no sign of it leaving anytime soon. This only happens occasionally and is not a rare occurrence, however, isn’t extremely common either. It has happened to myself multiple times within the live experience only. Also to note, the area surrounding my player has fully loaded.

Experience Link: Try to Die Obby! - Roblox

System Information:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor, 32 GB, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070

Expected behavior

The Gameplay Paused UI shortly leaves after loading the general surroundings

18 Likes

Hey, I’d also like to report that two top experiences I develop for have seen numerous reports from players about this issue happening. We’ve had to disable StreamingIntegrityMode for both games but we left Streaming enabled, it seems to occur a lot more on mobile than PC. I tried to make a repro place but I’m unsure of what exactly causes it and couldn’t reproduce it myself. I’ve also heard from some fellow developers I’m friends with that have also experienced this for their game.

Games:
Peroxide (Link: Peroxide [VERMIN + S RANK INVASIONS] - Roblox )
Grand Piece Online (Link: [💖🤖UPDATE 8] Grand Piece Online - Roblox )

Our streaming enabled settings for Peroxide specifically: (We disabled StreamingIntegrity but our streaming settings haven’t changed since)

Reports from players about Gameplay Paused before we disabled it: (There’s a lot more and videos + screenshots if needed)

4 Likes

Can you share any more details? Are you using a replication focus by any chance? Are you using RequestStreamAroundAsync?

Are you able to reproduce this with the streaming debug visualization enabled and share the result? To enable on PC use:
shift F3, then shift-1 four times

3 Likes

A repro file/steps would be very helpful if anybody is able to generate one.

2 Likes

I’m mainly using RequestStreamAroundAsync. As far as I am aware, the only steps to reproduce the bug is by joining the game. It doesn’t occur at any other point of time during gameplay aside from simply joining the experience.

The :RequestStreamAroundASync is used akin to the following streaming enabled doc under “Request Area Streaming”

Within 10 attempts of repeatedly trying to rejoin the game, after receiving your message. I was able to recieve the prompt once again.

3 Likes

As an additional note, this is after waiting for more than a few minutes and with the certainty that everything within the general vicinity has loaded.

1 Like

This only happens on the initial join of the experience? Does it happen before any chance to move at all?

1 Like

The backend and gameplay look like the following:

1. Player joins the experience
  2. Character loads and then the server immediately performs functions :RequestStreamAroundASync and player.Character:PivotTo, the player then gets teleported to their appropriate stage.
  3. [Gameplay Paused] - UI persists infinitely

As seen by the replication steps, the player has no chance to move locally at all prior to this bug occuring.

2 Likes

I’ve been trying to repro this without success. What I’m trying:

1. Join experience, see if it pauses
  2. Leave
  3. Repeat

Does it happen more on any particular stage? Anything that seems to make it more likely to happen?

2 Likes

I was able to replicate it on different stages albeit it was the max-stages for each category on medium + easy levels.

I will proceed to have an alternate account to test if it’s replicable on a fresh profile.

But your repro steps have been the same as mine thus far.

2 Likes

I was able to replicate it on three alternate profiles. One account was able to replicate it at stage 9, another was replicated on the max stage once again, and finally I was able to replicate it at stage 1 (on a fresh account.)

2 Likes

@straykevin if we enable some additional client side logging for your experience would you be willing to capture a client log file when this problem occurs and share it with us?

2 Likes

Sure, that’d be no problem.

(extra-characters-requirement)

1 Like

We are still investigating this problem internally and don’t have a long term solution yet.

One work around you could try would be to implement your own pause GUI and replace our default UI.

1 Like

Just a side note, I actually started experiencing this bug with a higher frequency in one of my developer friend’s experiences when trying to play it yesterday. Whose environment consists of only a baseplate.

1 Like

Do you know if the StreamingIntegrityMode is set to PauseOutsideLoadedArea or MinimumRadiusPause? And what values are used for min and target radius?

I was told that he uses all the default values.

Hello, I’ve had a similar problem as of right now, where I had the Camera be set to a different part, while also setting the Replicationfocus to it, where it was frozen to “gameplay paused”

local function TweenToPart(Part)
	Camera.CameraType = Enum.CameraType.Scriptable
	local tween = TS:Create(
		Camera,
		TweenInfo.new(0.1, Enum.EasingStyle.Quad, Enum.EasingDirection.Out),
		{
			CFrame = Part.CFrame,
		}
	)
	tween:Play()

end

local function SelectItem(List)

local Item = List:FindFirstChild(List.Name..tostring(CurrentNumbers[CurrentStep]))

local Cam 
	--if List == Ice_Cream then
	--	Cam = IceCreamList[CurrentStep]
--	elseif List == DessertList then
--		Cam = DessertList[CurrentStep]
--	else
		Cam = Item:FindFirstChild("Camera")
	--	end
	local ItemName = Item:GetAttribute("Name")
	CurrentOne = ItemName
	DisplayName.Text = ItemName
	if Cam then
	LocalPlayer.ReplicationFocus = Cam

TweenToPart(Cam)
	LocalPlayer.ReplicationFocus = Cam
	end
end

this happens when i play Right 2 Fight by @DevRolve . it happens on join 90% of the time, only repro i got is that i join and it’ll appear on my screen and never goes away. i keep rejoining until eventually this doesn’t occur.

1 Like

If you are setting the ReplicationFocus to be away from where the avatar is located then this can induce pauses since the server will not be sending data around where the player needs it. This is different from the other pause issues being reported.