StreamingEnabled maximum distance or part count

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to get a maximal performance benefit with StreamingEnabled due to the fact that devices with sufficient memory will never unload streamed-in portions of the workspace.

I have am working on an upcoming game with a very high part count, but also a very large scale to offset this part count (around 45,000 parts over a decently large map). I plan on enabling StreamingEnabled to support lower-memory devices; however, currently when a device that has enough memory to stream the entire map receives streamed-in parts, they are never streamed out.

It would be nice if there were more control over the distance (or part count) at which parts are streamed out, and the instances are destroyed on the client. This way, large-scale maps with higher part counts can be as performant as small-scale maps with the same density of detail, even after a player traverses all corners of the map.

24 Likes

Absolutely agree with this. We’re facing a similar issue in our game. We’re hitting about 10 million triangles when the whole map is loaded. This causes some performance issues when you spend an hour running around the whole map (streaming it in), then you stand in one corner and look to the adjacent one. Most of the stuff is thousands of studs away, and should ideally be streamed out, but is not.

5 Likes

We are looking into this. Will get back to you in a few days. No promises though.

11 Likes

Any info on this? Even a “not right now”. Real important for the development of our game! Your response will probably affect how we develop right now.

2 Likes

This would really make StreamingEnabled a lot more applicable to use, any word yet?

1 Like

Would love to get a response, even if it’s a no! Very important to know whether this functionality is coming to roblox or not.

3 Likes

@Sorcus I hate to be redundant here, but I am worried about performance in my upcoming game, and I was sort of hoping for this feature some time soon. It would make it a lot easier to scale the map horizontally, while keeping things well-performant for the player, and it’s definitely affecting the map-building decisions as my team approaches release. So any update on this at all would be helpful.

3 Likes

This would be extremely beneficial!

1 Like

This is under discussion currently. I’ll update when possible.

7 Likes

We are still looking into this. Also seeing this issue in our internal tests. Difficult problem to solve so will take us some time.

3 Likes