Studio Beta for Experience Controls Available Now

Thanks for the feedback! We are relaying this to the team.

6 Likes

Yeah. I have to open and close the chat a lot because of it covering buttons/gui. I don’t like it being tucked away behind a menu that I need to activate so that’s why I made this.

1 Like

Appreciate the feedback. We have really exciting plans in the future that will offer more developer integration. Stay tuned!

5 Likes

3 Likes

2 Likes

Please add this, currently we have a 2015 backpack system with some added code to make it barely useable.

Forking and modifying the backpack is not only unpredictable but extremely difficult and hard. I would know as I have my own backpack system to fix the mess that is the 2015 backpack.

Since I’m already talking about my backpack module, I should drop this here.

Satchel // Open-source backpack system

7 Likes

can someone please make a plugin to move the chat back i don’t understand this change

oh wait Studio Beta for Experience Controls Available Now - #159 by epic_tank

This UI is good and all but the Roblox icon seems a bit low quality/pixelated on PC

2 Likes

Isn’t it less though?? I know we get more in the middle of the screen but like… I feel like we technically have less now because nobody really uses the space at the top middle unless it’s specifically a game that needs a topbar or something

2 Likes

I really don’t like this in its current state. This is only giving us way less UI freedom.

Please do not increase the topbar inset.

• It’s actually 48, not 58, but that doesn’t make this any better.

• The topbar inset has been 36 pixels since 2015. 36 was already too much for me, but at least it was tolerable. Please do not forcibly increase it to 48. This will be disastrous.

• I was already working on some UI that covered the top 36 pixels of the screen to nicely blend in with the Roblox button. I can’t afford to increase this to 48.

• EDIT: The inset was increased from 48 to 58; presumably 48 was a bug.

The right corner menu makes no sense to me. It is the definition of bloat.

• MRU (Most Recently Used) shouldn’t exist. I don’t see anything wrong with just leaving buttons in the 9-dot menu. The previous “More Menu” already does this and it works fine. There’s no need to create a second set of buttons in the topbar that you can’t get rid of.

• Why a report button? What was so bad about having reports in the Roblox menu that you had to add a shortcut to reports here? This is really just a second Roblox menu button.

• Disabling Enum.CoreGuiType.Chat doesn’t remove the chat from the MRU or 9-dot menu. I assume this is a bug.

• Why is the leaderboard darker with this new UI enabled?

• There’s no way to completely remove the right corner menu. Previously, you could disable the PlayerList, EmotesMenu, and Backpack CoreGuiTypes to automatically hide the “More Menu” button, but this no longer works.

For comparison, this was the maximum amount of UI freedom we could previously achieve:

(Red indicates previously-obscured areas. Dark red indicates new obscured areas.)

And now:

I’d be more okay with this change if I could customize the topbar inset and completely remove the right corner menu.

Why are you giving us less freedom? Shouldn’t it be the other way around? The previous Core UI was so close to perfect; we just couldn’t modify the Roblox menu button. But now we’re getting this.

On a more positive note, I’m excited to be able to customize the 9-dot menu. Instead of creating custom topbar buttons, we can just throw our buttons into this menu instead. We can also use this functionality to “overwrite” Roblox’s default UI, for example, disabling Roblox’s backpack and replacing the 9-dot Inventory button with one of our own. There was previously no way to edit the “More Menu”.

Some people have commented on the chat button being moved to the right corner menu instead of staying on the left corner of the screen, but I can probably get used to this.

The way I see it, this is making the UI symmetric. You have one button (Roblox button) on the left, and one button (right-corner menu) on the right. And instead of creating obstructive custom topbar buttons, we can instead just customize the 9-dot menu with our own options.

However, I can see how this could be a problem if you wanted to completely disable the right-corner menu but still have chat, as this is no longer possible.

21 Likes

Not going to lie, I played with the menu quite a bit and I kind of hate it. While it has a few nice new features, most of which are just planned and not actually usable in the beta, in general, it looks pretty inconsistent with other UI elements within the app.
While I appreciate a way to unmute/mute without clicking the SurfaceGui in-game or fully exiting to the big menu, I’m not sure an additional giant expanding bar on the right, is necessary for that. There are also many other UX problems with the fact that the chat button is moved, but the chat still displays to the left, which makes zero sense, but I won’t go into much more detail in this post, as those have been mostly pointed out already.

It’s also not quite right to keep updating these numbers without having a proper way to mount them to the top of the screen, rather than just increasing it from 36 → 58 over the course of a few months (if that). This update also just seems to be adding restrictions and bloat for people who don’t need this, now there are more elements you can’t disable through SetCore.

Basically, the only thing I personally like about this is the fact that you’re saying there will be an API to add icons to the 9-Dot Menu, which is great for customizability, especially when in the past we had to use somewhat hacky methods to make our own CoreUI looking buttons. But, I’m still not a fan of how it expands into taking up so much space. It seems like it could circle around itself (as an example), rather than expand outwards, and take up way less room from developers.

Now, I’m no fan of our current menu that’s been in use for way too long and has also aged in terms of consistency. But what happened to the 2020 menu that was going to roll out with the Discovery app? It still exists, but it only shows in very odd cases (such as when playing in VR on PC) or when you force it on. It had smooth animations and used elements that matched other parts of Roblox’s UI elements (aka UIBlox). This one doesn’t at all. I heavily preferred it, back then, and I still would now over this, after some improvements and cleanup was done to it. Technically, it still even works on the latest client, with a few bugs, such as the main bug I’m aware of the sliders being broken (but the textboxes next to them work).

Personally, I would rather have some type of menu that looks more like what was going to be released in 2020 (but never fully did), although it would probably have to be adjusted to be more cross-platform in some way. Ideally, it would have the 9-dot Menu that’s redesigned to not take up a ton of useless space, but still let you perform crucial actions, like toggling voice chat as well.

10 Likes

Okay now this is actually pretty cool! Love to see more consistency in the CoreGui.

Glad this is in beta though, some stuff should be tweaked and fixed such as the offset/padding of the buttons, it’s fine but I’d really prefer being able to adjust that in the settings. Also for whatever reason when I test this in studio the Roblox Logo on the menu button is pretty bad quality.

Hoping this style gets applied to the default backpack ui, it’s been the same for quite a while now and its been needing some updates on its looks!

Pros:

• Everything being compacted into a single menu is actually pretty nice to be fair

Cons:

• Changing topbar inset to 58 from 36 breaks thousands of games that integrate the old 36/40px button standard into their GUIs
  • Chat UX is, what. Why do I have to move my mouse across the full screen to access it
  • No way to fully hide the menu, nor does it respect the Enum.CoreGuiType.Chat value

I want this update to go well, I really do, because if you actually give us developer access for once, it could create some very cool ideas, but please reconsider the positioning on desktops since the UX is a complete nightmare for it, mobile UX does not translate over nicely to mouse and keyboard, you should already know this.

Also it should be possible to fully hide it (minus the menu button) as we’ve been able to do with all previous iterations of the topbar. Finally, I know its a long shot, but can we finally please customise the menu button, it cant be hard to add constraints to it right?

11 Likes

Some reactions here are a bit over the top, but I also don’t like this change very much. I like how almost every icon is collapsed under a single button, however there is also some caveats.

For starters, the buttons are a bit too big, I wouldve preferred them if the size was set to like 38-40 pixels instead of the size we have now. While developing this with mobile in mind is excellant, it’s also hampering us desktop users signifigantly.

It would be awesome to be able to customize these a bit more on the user side of things, such as chaging where the icons are docked, customizing buttons that are always visible, changing the button sizes to what we want, stuff like that. And it would do wonders to to also have access to these customizations through a api somehow, so we can adjust developer ui accordingly.

It would also be nice to be able to hide the icons again with SetCoreGuiEnabled, since this is most likely an oversight.

Overall the best way to summarize this would be taking a big step foward, but taking a massive leap back in other areas and cases. Not really looking foward to adjusting my ui once again for the 3rd time, and hoping this is the last time :skull::sob:

1 Like

I was messing around with this in CoreGui and it looks a lot cleaner having it on the left with the button itself

Im unsure how this would work on mobile but on desktop its a lot better to place the chat button near the chat window when working with a mouse

20 Likes

is this possible to have in runtime/live games?

1 Like

this is the best feature you can also add it for pc and xbox

If you are going to force this update onto us for no reason, at least allow us to
A: Move the right menu to the left, why must it be on the right???
B: Disable this stupid thing completely
C: Disable the MRU

And please for the sake of the space to make UIs on Roblox, keep the topbar the same size it has been since 2015, changing this is actually just stupid.

5 Likes

The buttons are too big on PC, especially the buttons in the more menu. I toggle chat a lot so having to go into a submenu to do it is annoying. Reporting isn’t used often enough for it to have a spot in a quick menu. Having the leaderboard still show while the more menu is open is ugly. The padding on the sides are inconsistent with the rest of Roblox’s UI. I don’t know why this bothers me so much but having the escape menu open from the bottom is weird. Outside of all of those, this UI looks great.

2 Likes