Studio Beta for Experience Controls Available Now

This looks sick, but please use a squircle(square with rounded edges) instead of a circle for the background of the buttons. It would look so much better imo

No, this topic related new experience controls, this is not squircle, a circle. Squircle is 2020 core gui only but doesn’t fit any number in circle bar due small size.

I have an idea to resolve the feedbacks:
Offseted topbar safe insets
This feature make offset linked Roblox menu and experience controls [when display are smaller, offset is smaller; when display larger, offset is larger].
P.S. I can’t upload on mobile gets glitched ignored all file formats

I meant the core gui, the health bar doesnt have to be a circle

Attempted the photo for offseted top bar safe insets

Hey Creators,

Thank you for your feedback on experience controls — we’ve heard you. While we initially planned for the right side of the screen, we’ve decided to move them to the left, largely based on your input. Starting on November 20, we will begin testing the updated experience controls to a percentage of users. The experience control layouts we are testing are all left-aligned, and some vary by the prominence of the text chat controls.

image1

We want to make sure your in experience UI works for your needs, and your feedback has been invaluable in guiding our decision.

Why the left side?

After hearing your feedback, we revisited our goals and felt that we could still deliver on 1) a clear distinction between the UI for in-experience actions and Roblox platform actions and 2) build a permanent, easy-to-access space for immersive controls (such as chat and self view) with a left-aligned design. This change also paves the way for future platform developments, accommodating new features without cluttering the interface.

What does this mean for you?

If you already made a design change using the experience control APIs, the APIs will respect the shift in reserved space. Users will now see both your changes without obstruction and the updated experience controls.

If you have yet to make a design change, we encourage you to use the signal API and/or the new TopbarSafeInsets API that are available across Roblox client and Studio. These APIs will make it easier for you to design your experience UI in a way that is compatible with the Roblox reserved space.

The road ahead…

Our journey forward involves rolling out updated experience controls to all users by early 2024. As noted, please use the new APIs to refine your UI for a smooth transition. Roblox’s goal is to reimagine social interaction, and these experience controls will play a key role with simpler, scalable designs.

Stay tuned for more updates, and as always, happy developing!

FAQ

What if I already made design changes that removed my UI from the right side?

• Thank you for testing this with us! If you made a design change using the new experience control APIs, the API will respect the shift in reserved space. Users will now see both your changes without obstruction and the updated experience controls.

Will experience controls move again?

• We don’t expect to move experience controls alignment again. Informed by your feedback, our aim is to keep these platform controls on the left. While we anticipate adding more features inside the expandable experience controls, using the recommended APIs ensures your UI remains adaptable and consistent.
28 Likes

Thanks for taking on our feedback! This feels much better, and fixes one of the few flies in the ointment.

I can say safely now that I’m fully looking forward to this rolling out! This will make a fine replacement for the hodgepodge of UIs and bubbles we have right now.

6 Likes

can we have the option to pick either side? thanks for considering

10 Likes

Thank you. This will minimise the amount of redesign required for this update for so many games- not to mention I much prefer how this looks.

1 Like

I too would like the option to select which side!

We’re working on a game that benefited greatly from the more symmetrical design. This new left-oriented design makes this more difficult for us.

8 Likes

yep me too! plus i made my own chat system and such so that kinda makes my ui look a little cluttered now. love your games btw

1 Like

We would really appreciate an option to control which side of the screen the UI is on. We were designing our UI to make use of the symmetrical design, but the way we went is now going to look out of place.

8 Likes

Not bad but it would probably look a bit better if you slightly moved the playerlist up to match the height of the symbols. It looks a bit empty above the playerlist:

Also quick reminder to these issues if you haven’t already seen, as I see they did not get fixed:

6 Likes

I’m honestly pretty disappointed about this, I thought the left/right setup was really well done and it let me make this on each side of the screen.
08 - 22-12-30 08 - 22-16-12

But now, I don’t think I can use this type of layout because the amount of padding used between the roblox menu and the expandable menu is a lot more than I would be able to account for.
08 - 22-17-41

Having alignment options would be nice, though I do understand it would be pretty weird to have different core UI layouts between games like that.

14 Likes

Was adding a Respawn button really necessary? This is just as redundant as the Report button.

It’s not a CoreGuiType, if anyone’s confused on how to disable this. You have to use StarterGui:SetCore("ResetButtonCallback", false), though this will also disable resetting in the normal Roblox menu.

You could hook up a connection to GuiService.MenuOpened and MenuClosed respectively to toggle the reset button when you open/close the Roblox menu if you still want resetting to be available there.

(Note that SetCore/GetCore calls can sometimes fail, so it’s a good idea to wrap them in pcall.)

Also, like others have mentioned, it would be great to have a way to switch between having the controls on the left or right side of the screen.

11 Likes

Looks better, but im still kinda annoyed that we cant hide the shelf since the report button is forced to stay (which i find pretty unnecessary).

Any updates on allowing devs to hide the ui shelf completely if they choose to?

6 Likes

And a quick issue on mobile devices: Having the Experience Controls open and hovering over the Camera icon (your roblox avatar) causes it to instantly open the camera tab which is slightly annoying:

I love it, thankyou!

Some bugs:

It’s possible to hover over two buttons at once

Adding new buttons via this menu cannot be undone - the ribbon just grows forever.

5 Likes

Im really glad this was changed. While the UI is not symmetrical anymore, its now a lot easier to make your own UI, as the top right corner is not taken up anymore, and the top left was a pretty unsafe place for custom UI anyway.

Gotta say though, it looks a bit odd. I would have expected the 2 buttons to merge, ie: The Roblox icon button opens the experience controls, which has a button to go to the escape menu.

On second though, I feel like this was kinda unnecessary? Wouldnt it be better to just allow developers to disable the controls menu completely with SetCoreGuiEnabled? I feel like this would be totally justified in a lot of cases, like cutscenes, fullscreen uis, etc., since none of the options in the controls menu would be relevant in those cases.

3 Likes

I don’t believe this update properly addresses the numerous complaints. The controls being on the right weren’t the real issue - it’s that there wasn’t (and still isn’t!) a way to hide them. We still have yet to hear any compelling reason this behavior has been removed.

The new left-aligned controls further inhibit design possibilities located in the topbar. For example, the previous symmetrical design allowed developers to effectively choose their own padding between their UI and the experience controls - however, the updated experience controls forces increased padding (thus shrinking the already limited usable space) otherwise developers risk an inconsistent look:
Of course, this too would be solved if developers were simply able to hide the experience controls as many have been for the better part of a decade.

It is my belief that the symmetrical experience controls provide more flexibility for developers (developers can, and did, add their own chat button on the left side for what it’s worth) than the left-aligned controls, provided proper functionality is restored to SetCoreGuiEnabled() (which should have been a given!)

5 Likes