[Studio Beta] Introducing Gamepad Controller Emulator

absolutely perfect timing
i was planning to buy a controller so i could work on console support

Right Mouse can be used as a second finger if necessary I’ve seen many engines/webapps replicate it using RMB.

Or mouse scroll wheel pressing can also work.

I accidentally got the Quest 2 Controls on a 1080x1080 custom device, so I guess you could get it early. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Can this feature be used in tandem with an actual controller? I own a controller, but the Switch Pro controller has digital triggers, so I would still have a use case for those half-L/R presses.

(Also, is there some setting somewhere to not have Roblox automatically turn on the light around the Home button on this controller? It doesn’t turn it off upon close or unplugging it, and since Nintendo itself doesn’t actually use this light with their own hardware, I usually need to launch a supported Steam game and then close it to get it to turn off. Very annoying.)

1 Like

There are Fast Flags for it as well. But they don’t put you in VR Mode yet, I think.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for checking out the Beta!

We have thought about multiple controllers during the design phase and were looking for use cases for it. We found some but decided that for the first iteration we should keep things simple and not clutter the UI too much. However we would love to hear about how you’re using multiple controllers and we’ll considering the ability for this in the future.

Thank you!

The VR Emulator is on the way, we’re trying to incorporate the feedback we get here into that as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for checking out this Beta.

This is a great idea and you should add this into our list of Studio Feature Requests for the Mobile Emulator.

3 Likes

My friend basically has a game where he decided to implement a feature that allows local co-op play with multiple controllers, and while he does have 4 controllers it’s definitely not the most convenient :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Good to hear I do want to test a control scheme I have for vr but developing with a massive toaster strapped to your head isn’t the most pleasant experience.

speaking of vr are there any plans to allow hand tracking support as the previously mentioned control scheme is designed to not require controllers in anticipation of hand tracking support.

Great. Now with this. We only need one controller style to complete the “console” range but not supporting its own console at all,

Joy-Cons/Pro Controller/NES Controller/SNES Controller/Nintendo 64 Controller/Nintendo GameCube controller/Sega Mega Drive Controller! (All Switch Controllers I know of)
But not supporting the switch for Roblox. I don’t think it’ll support it yet. Infact. I’ve played Roblox with a pro controller on my iPad casted to an Apple TV. It’s great. The A button which is where B would be on Xbox works fine to jump in obbies

1 Like

Speaking of controllers whenever i connect my controller while studio or roblox is running the application completely freezes for about 10-15 seconds so while this isn’t a solution to that problem it might be a better option :+1:t3:

Personally, I really hate the default bindings, so I altered them.

However, it current is not possible to move the current binds into another device type, because all of the binds are set to each specific device; would be very neat if there was a way to transfer our bind presets over to other controller types.

Also, the [TAB] key isn’t displayed properly.

1 Like

would be extremely cool if haptic feedback would show on the emulation device (as the controller shaking visually or something?)

Thank you for testing it out! We added these into our bug list and will address them soon.

Hi, thanks for trying the beta.

Can you please file a bug on the slow physical controller connection? If you can add any details like controller type and Studio logs in the bug report, it would be very helpful.

Thank you!

Hi,

Thank you! And yes, we’re working on the console controller bugs and the VR controller emulation right now.

Finally, I thought I would have to purchase an xbox controller to make sure controller support exists in my game.

This is really cool! I probably won’t ever use this because I prefer using my physical controller over the virtual controller, but this could help some other devs without physical controllers! Also the virtual left thumbstick doesn’t work for me.
May I sugest emulating gyroscope/accelerometer?

This will be extremely useful for us developers as now we can test out controls much more efficient and saves us so much time. We don’t have to go on different devices or connect controllers to test.