Studio crashes when editing script after test run

Studio crashes after I edit a script, test the game, then go back to editing the script. This only happens, however, if the place has been published. This crash prevents me from editing any scripts after playing or running the game.

To replicate the crash:
Open any Roblox place.
Create a script and edit it.
Publish the place to Roblox.
Test the game using the Run or Play buttons.
Stop the game.
A duplicate script appears as a tab (see image):
Click on one of the two script tabs.
Studio crashes a second later and displays a message:

This problem started happening after updating to Studio Version 0.338.0.202976 earlier today. It happens on every computer I have. The operating systems are Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 8 Enterprise.

16 Likes

I’ve had this error, had it yesterday and it cost me about 20 minutes worth of scripts, seems weird and it’s definitely new behaviour.

2 Likes

Hmm, we were unable to reproduce this issue here. Could you provide a bit more information?

When did this start happening?
Did you explicitly disable the debugger?
Is team create enabled for this place?
If you close the scripts without opening them up, does it still crash? What if you reopen the script after that?

Could you send me the crash dmp? (If you are unsure how to do this, please dm me and I can walk you through)

1 Like

Sounds like the issue is related to this:

http://wiki.roblox.com/index.php?title=ReleaseNotes/338

1 Like
1 Like

The problem started happening earlier today, just after installing version 0.338.0.202976.
I did not explicitly disable the debugger.
Team create is not enabled.
It seems that if I close the duplicate script tabs, then it does not crash. It only happens when viewing the duplicate tab.
I’m not sure how to attach the dmp file.

1 Like

We have a fix for the crash going out next week, but are still investigating the script duplication issue.

Another question. Will script duplication happen repeatedly in the same session? For example, if you play solo, get a duplicate script, stop play solo, close the script, then play solo again. Will you get another copy of the script or does this only happen once per session?

It seems to only happen once per session. If the right tab is closed, the problem seems fixed.

1 Like

I’m getting the same issue as well. It’s very annoying. I’ve tried re-installing Roblox but that doesn’t seem to fix the issue.

I think you can get into similiar issue if you run the game before the scripts that were opened on a previous session are restored.

1 Like

Yes, that’s happening to me too.

1 Like

I am able to reproduce the script duplication bug every time, which after opening one of the duplicated scripts, results in my studio crashing. In response to your question, I was unable to cause the same script to duplicate multiple times in the same session.

What I do to cause this issue:

1. Open my game from the website, via the Edit button
  2. Open one or more of my scripts, specifically without editing them, just opening them
  3. Play Solo
  4. Stop the session
  5. Open one of the duplicated scripts and click on any line in the script
  6. It crashes

I think this could potentially be related to the automatic saving of what scripts you had open previously, because in one of my tests, I only opened one script to see if it would duplicate, but a script that I had open in my previous session appeared after I stopped play solo, despite me not opening it at all in my current session.

1 Like

Is the fix out yet? This is still happening to me.

1 Like

Hmm, this should be fixed. Could you dm me your crash dmp?

1 Like

My friend had this problem today also, it caused our group game that we were both working on to crash. Thank goodness for auto-save files.

2 Likes

It is still happening to me just as it was before. How can I send the dmp file?

We have a fix for the script duplication issue, so the crashes with editing a duplicate script after playSolo will be fixed when that is released. This should be out later next week (Wednesday/Thursday)

1 Like

I know I am a bit late, but this would probably fit the category of “ROBLOXCRITICAL”

A reproducible crash (Studio, game or website shutting down or returning a fatal error 100% of the time when a set of steps are followed)

I am guessing “Shutting down” counts as crashing.

I also had this bug, but it seems to be fixed as of today.

1 Like

No. Please read the thread before replying to it.

Staff have already replied several times to this thread and there are already fixes in the pipeline. There is no reason to mark this as critical.

That’s why I said I was a bit late, but it would have been appropriate to when the thread was first made.

1 Like