Studio crashes when opening the workspace view after being in the script editor for a long time

Issue Type: Crashing
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced:
Date Last Experienced: 2021-03-18 20:03:00 (+01:00)

Reproduction Steps:
To reproduce this issue, you have to open the script editor and keep it open (the issue may occur any time over around 10 minutes), then open the Workspace view.

This should work in any game, even if the only stuff in the game is 1 script and a baseplate.

Expected Behavior:
I expect it to let me see the workspace instead of it crashing studio.

Actual Behavior:
Studio will crash and should go back to normal anywhere from a minute to never. And sometimes it forcibly closes itself after crashing.

Workaround:

8 Likes

Which OS are you experiencing this on?

3 Likes

Would you like to DM the dump file of the crash?
For windows, it is located in “C:\Users<YourComputerName>\AppData\Local\Roblox\logs”

3 Likes

There is nothing near the time of the crash in any of the files under the logs folder (checked before posting this bug report).

I can still send the logs if you want, but that would have to wait for tomorrow as I’m not currently on my pc.

1 Like

Note that sometimes crash dumps and logs can end up in a subdirectory called Archive.

1 Like

I am also having a similar issue when using motors.

Thanks! like PeZsmistic said, the uploaded .dmp files are moved into the Archive folder under it.

2 Likes

Ah, alright. I’ll message you the dmp files

The archive folder is empty :sweat_smile:

Your bug report mentions this issue happens constantly. You should try to trigger it again and get the dump and log generated when that happens.

1 Like

I’ve had a similar issue, but I don’t crash. I just have a lag spike.

There is absolutely nothing in the archives folder and nothing in the logs from around the crash. The only thing in the logs is the PresceneChanged messages being sent (but this shouldn’t really be a problem).

1 Like

Maybe I know how to fix. I fixed it for my studio, it was also crashing all the time for me but when I went to files > Advanced > Manage Plugins. And then update all of your plugins

Hi there @dobdev , can you tell us what Studio version you’re using?
You can find the info by going to About Roblox Studio.

Can you also clarify if you means a crash (In which Studio closes with the “Roblox Crashed” dialog or just exits to desktop) or a freeze (Roblox stops responding for some finite period of time and then recovers)? Details How to post a Bug Report - #17 by Roblox

1 Like

Oh sorry, It’s freezing not crashing.

Hi, I’m having the same problem, Having my script open for a while and then returning to workspace will make the studio not respond, if i leave it for a while on the second option where it trys to make it “respond” then it will fix, I just leave to watch yt and not close my script and that happens.

1 Like

Same thing here, although in team create it disconnects you, and it doesn’t auto-save.

1 Like

This issue has been confirmed with OP to be resolved. Please submit a new report for us to look into if you run into any issues. Thanks!

3 Likes