Studio Design Refresh - Docking Overhaul & Ribbon Upgrade

Looks like the new icons have rolled out for me! I’m so glad I have them
Here’s a quick preview of them:

3 Likes

I got the new update, but now Studio is unusable. It stops responding every time I close a script or when closing Studio. My UI also completely glitches out when I playtest.

Edit: The crashing issue may have been fixed but my UI still completely bugs out during and after playtest. It cannot be resized and the only way to fix it is by restarting Studio, which crashes it too :'D

5 Likes

hey Uh, the update just rolled out, that’s cool and awesome! ((:

Do you know how terrible this is going to be for Laptop Users who always use 125% Scale Factor due to their ‘1080p’ Monitor?

For the love of god- Please add an optional setting to NOT match the DPI Scaling, there’s a reason why I want those things separated from ROBLOX- Especially STUDIO for my own personal size preference for other things besides those two, I don’t want to rant about this again even though this is the way it was “meant to be” :warning:

For a select group of laptop-users who don’t want roblox to respect their DPI Scaling, its not really for everyone when they’re trying to develop, now even the game UI in studio is all big and crammed now :warning:

Do you understand where I’m coming from?
I know people looked forward to this for years, but there are some exceptions, again, for laptop users. I can respect this on the public Roblox Client since my screen is more open there, but definitely not on Studio Development when they are now painfully the same!!

3 Likes

I spent 30 mins trying to figure out why I have not gotten the update just to find out it hasn’t rolled out for me yet haha

3 Likes

When do you plan for public release? I use to have this on my main account then it just got removed from 2 accounts I mainly develop games on and now I have to use another account that I never use because that has this new update change and the only reason I “Need” to develop games with this new update is because I really like how this is and it really motivates me to develop.

2 Likes

Is it possible to revert the UI update or get the previous version? Everything in the explorer looks the same, it’s dull and has no colour. The previous version was visually pleasing to me, I don’t mind everything else outside of explorer.

17 Likes

to try and revert it, you can try and launch roblox studio on a new account and
clicking the update(top right) button.

after that, go back to your main account and do not press the update button.

(hopefully this helps you)

just got the update today :clap:

it’s the most hideous thing I’ve ever seen…
Not only that, but now studio crashes when I try to close it. :neutral_face:

I want the previous version back

explorer

BarTop = screengui
BarTop #2 = frame
Settings = text button
SettingsIcon = image label

You can’t even tell what anything is anymore
You gotta rely on the ClassName property

how are we supposed to develop our games if we have to spend decades figuring out what is what here…

10 Likes

I hate new icons. I got a ton of problems to identify what is what. EVERYTHING is now really similar to other:

let’s start from… Effects.
Before they all had UNIQUE colors, so that was MUCH easier to find that one you need. Now all of them are purple lines.

Now the most intriguing part for me - let’s look at GUI objects.

Before, there was really big diffirence between TextLabel and Button, ImageLabel and Button, and etc. Also they had again, DIFFIRENT colors - frames - orange with white, text label was blue letter, text buttons was blue rectangle, image label was orange with green/white/blue in middle, button was the same. Screen Gui was white with a bit of blue color.

Now the second most intriguing part for me - SCRIPTS
They looks the same, due to light-blue color. before we had “Part” on module scripts, human on Local, and nothing on Server script.
But Remote Event and Functions are better now, bc they separated firstly to events/functions, and secondary by color.

Now about another important thing - VALUES
Before, they was the same looking - grey hand. Now 3 of them have their unique icons, other ones have “#”. I prefer old values, bc you can see VALUES in objects, now you can think that Bool/BrickColor/CFrame Values aren’t even values in some situations.

Also, I don’t love new “Model”, Parts, “Configuration”, “Weld”, “Attachment” and “Tool”:

But, even with ton of bad things, I can say some good:
Post-Processing effects and Sounds have now each unique model - I think in this situation, it will be good, not like with values.
imageimage
Because separations of this effects can tell you faster what this effect is.
(Sorry for any grammar mistakes)

19 Likes

Please give us the choice the revert the icons in the explorer back to the original, I am having a lot of difficulty looking for what I need in the explorer.

21 Likes

Wow this is an amazing update! Keep the good work up :+1:

THIS is exactly my issue but with the Explorer window. I physically cannot build on Studio because of it at the moment and I have so much work to do… what is happening???

5 Likes

You can reverse the changes by reinstalling roblox studio from an account that does not have this feature. First uninstall roblox studio by typing “add or remove program” in windows search bar. Open it and uninstall. Go on one of your alts. Go to create and press edit on one of your existing worlds. It will reinstall roblox with the old UI if that account doesn’t have the feature rolled out. Change back to main account. Don’t press refresh in the top right corner. You’re welcome.

This wouldn’t be as bad if they actually made a proper announcement that the new icons were rolling out and provided some sort of documentation on how to use the CustomIconsDir or some sort of way to choose. Quite a lot of people prefer colorful icons.

For reference, the icons can be reverted as of now by setting the FFlags “FFlagSVGLuaIcons” and “FFlagStudioQtSVGIcons” to false.

4 Likes

is there any info on how to use custom icon directory or has no one figured it out yet though?

There has been no published information afaik. Please correct me if I am wrong.

1 Like

Nah you’re right i spent the better part of 6 hours of my morning to find out the issue

i found a fix to this, although it requires downloading a mod, the mod is by MaximumADHD. this mod is used by a popular custom icon set called Vanilla, so you can easily restore the default icons by using this mod https://github.com/MaximumADHD/Roblox-Studio-Mod-Manager

2 Likes

Please revert the new icons, not sure how they even passed user testing.

The new outlined icons add too much visual complexity and they should be coloured by instance not categories or at least similar colours in category only – In explorer with instances clumped together, the instances’ icons are all the same colour and hard to differentiate. I was literally squinting my eyes close to the screen because the small outlined icons are in a smaller border.

The use of colour is really bad too, with less important buttons having the same colour as essential ones. UE5 does this quite well.

3 Likes

The icons are really good and revolutionary but are too bland and pastel, everything’s blue too.

What happened to the model icon being multiple colors? That’d be nice to have again. The thing I like the most though is the top area:

This is a definitely a win, I just wish you were able to customize the font to match it.

4 Likes