Studio Design Refresh - Docking Overhaul & Ribbon Upgrade

It’s much easier to describe it to someone as “the button with the eye on the top right corner of the viewport” rather than the ribbon especially for those who aren’t English-speaking and don’t have the technological knowledge to call that space a ribbon or the equivalent in their native language.

3 Likes

To clarify, my team members had some previous Roblox Studio experience. So they were able to understand me a bit when I said ‘hit the UI button’ that I meant this button.
Screenshot 2022-07-26 201416

I still however believe that if I did have to have that long conversation you state every-time with every team member, after a lot of UI changes the lost time from that conversation would have been made back up with the saved time from constantly switching over tabs.

4 Likes

I’ve never had this issue, and I quite quickly have described where the UI button is in a matter of seconds numerous times. Besides, it is convenient to be able to toggle GUI’s on and off, regardless of what menu is open. I’d personally feel inconvenienced if it was buried in a menu, or in the quick access bar.

5 Likes

This is amazing! Just wow!

I can’t express my opinions on this, it’s the best update ever brought to Roblox Studio! At last we get a refreshed design that we’ve wanted for a long time.

4 Likes

The ui editor overall needs an overhaul as it is quite outdated compared to other game engine’s ui editors (such as unity). Also the ui editor can get in the way when uis are invisible

9 Likes

Personally, I keep a utility that deletes the UIEditor.rbxm whenever they’re re-added by studio updates. If you aren’t doing so already, you can delete the two files with this name to completely remove this feature.

Otherwise, great content update by the studio team! Thanks for taking in our feedback and allowing us to better organize our layouts.

4 Likes

Icons have needed an update ever since I started using studio (4 years ago). I am really looking forward to the upgrade!

2 Likes

Will this whole redesign/refresh ever extend to the studio-related website features? More specifically, basically everything under Create - Roblox and the Creator Marketplace, as they’re VERY outdated looking.

Unfortunately, I’m pretty sure this doesn’t sync between studios which is problematic for multi-computer users. :frowning:

2 Likes

Could we get a collapse all folders/models feature added aswell? considering this is dedicated to the UI it would be really nice to be able to flow through my massive workspace with ease.

2 Likes

something I would love to see is something similar to this. As it’ll make anchoring GUI elements faster, as well as it’d be easier for newer gui designers/devs to anchor their guis to a certain position on the screen

26 Likes

thank you guys so much! im super looking forward to the docking, as on another computer i use, the docking just doesn’t work at all because of how old the OS is, extra excited for the multiple script editing, that’s going to be very helpful for the future

1 Like

Yep. Wrote a plugin that literally yeets the plugin from existence every time I start up studio.

1 Like

Dude, please. 100% agree, it gets in the way all the time and we shouldn’t have to have a workaround to a native feature that messes with our workflow.

Thanks! With the power of both of these updates combined studio will be much more pleasing to use!

2 Likes

When has that conversation actually ever happened? The UI toggle button has been there for quite sometime, so I’m sure developers have gotten used to where it was, everyone I’ve talked to knew where the toggle UI button was…

2 Likes

For users who prefer to set up UI directly via properties, the UI Editor is only getting in their way and covering up stuff

2 Likes

I’ve noticed a recurring behavior on Roblox: they strive to release new features. But they limit themselves when it comes to fixing bugs.
Among the more than 30 bug reports that only I have open (and are still open), one of them referring to the topic of layouts has been open for TWO YEARS and has been ignored until now:

I’ve had to live with this bug for years, that is, every time I open Studio (several times a day), I have to re-layout the debug windows manually because Studio DOESN’T SAVE THIS LAYOUT.
This is so simple to solve that I don’t understand why it’s been ignored for so long.

Roblox: Please use your energy to resolve BUGS before releasing new features.

7 Likes

Not to mention Bug-Support is dead and all bug reports are currently getting ghosted.
Shame.

5 Likes

Studio V4? Can’t wait for the update!

4 Likes