Studio Design Refresh - Updated Icons & High DPI Capabilities

man… the default toolbar is so monotone now :frowning:
are we going to get an update for colours or will it stay this way?

4 Likes

Guessing its just accomondate for people who have trouble with seeing small icons OR colorblind people. Having color alone doesn’t necessitate easy readability when others may struggle with different conditions/monitors.

1 Like

Really discouraging I was full head of steam on developing and now it gets unexpectedly paused due to a bug in new update. I’ve been working on my game for months. Created a custom inventory system that works but after the new update it is broken. Attempting to pick up an item causes studio to instantly freeze. But when I play it live on Roblox it works as intended and as it has been for the past few months. Why would an update affect particular function while testing? I’ve opened other projects that just have any functionality at all to see if anything else would cause a freeze but so far the projects I’ve tested didn’t freeze playtesting. So far it’s only when I try to pick up an item in my game.

1 Like

Studio freezes for me sometimes. Just sometimes. I forgot if it happened if I picked up an item. But I will send a bug report on this when I get a repro.

This started to happen when I enabled the new icons feature.

1 Like

Probably not; That will only be fixed if Roblox stops making new folders in %LocalAppData%/Roblox/Versions on every new update. They really should just replace the random numbers with “RobloxStudio” and “RobloxPlayer” or something so users’ compatibility settings stay active instead of being reset with each update.

1 Like

Is there a folder that we can download with a template of icons / the default icons to work with? Similar to how minecraft has base texture packs etc. Unless there is a folder already with the default ones, I can’t seem to find it.

EDIT: Looks like there is already one, whoops. icons

1 Like

same for me and has completely halted my development. First D3D11 is broken now this. I think it could be tied to that fact D3D11 isn’t working properly? Only thing i can think of. But my code was fine for months prior this 1 update and now picking up an item using my custom inventory freezes in studio but when i publish the game live it works as intended in live game setting so it has to be studio. I have a laptop that has 2 graphic cards 1 is gtx 1650 and the other is integrated. Idk what to do but i know im discouraged from making my game at the moment.

2 Likes

This is great, but can you guys PLEASE give us an option to make the text in studio bigger? Ever since the last update or two, the text on the ribbon buttons are too tiny and difficult to read on a large monitor!

1 Like

I created a new project last night just to see if studio would crash doing normal stuff in a clean project with no files or scripts. As I was placing parts suddenly, I got the message the studio needed to close because of crash. So, I’m able to confirm this isn’t an issue related to my project because it’s happening in a completely new project just by interacting with normal functionalities of the program. I can’t be productive like this and since I can’t post in Bug Reports, I have to wait for a fix I assume. But It would be nice to hear something from Roblox staff. Would be even nicer to be able to rollback to the previous studio version because I spent my days working on my game now I have nothing to do.

1 Like

I realized I cannot file an bug report. So you either have to contact Roblox Support about this or @Bug-Support.

The Explorer icons are significantly better than the earlier refresh iterations - I do wish some of them were a bit more colorful and less wireframey, but I can tell what they are quite quickly.

However, the toolbar icons lack color which makes it hard to discern what icons are which at a glance. Adding two-tone or shading to them would be really helpful imo.

Anyone else still getting docking issues, such as the viewport not docking where you dock it and instead is hidden behind the entire application?

1 Like

color button is broken

1 Like

If you are having issues and you believe it is with D3D11, you can change the Roblox Studio “Graphics Mode” setting from Automatic to specify another API like OpenGL or Vulkan as a workaround. A search for Graphics in the Roblox Studio settings window will find it.

I’ve tried them all and opengl still causes studio to freeze or show the box say it encountered an error.

Good update but I had to turn it off because it causes an instant crash whenever I press the + icon in the Explorer…

Looking forward to using it once that’s fixed.

Extra info: No mods, all beta features enabled, no crash text, just stops responding, and happens 100% of the time for me.

1 Like

This is what I experience too my studio was fine before update and enabling DPI. Now it freezes all the time no matter what I’m doing. Even trying to exit studio it will hang up. But I’m supposed to believe it’s device specific.

1 Like

Ive yet to get an update to my studio for this,

Looks great can’t wait to try it out

it’s a beta feature, labelled “Enable DPI Aware Studio.”

Good updates so far, though the the new object explorer is terrible. There’s no padding like the old one, so it’s hard to see what the objects are since my eyes just get focused on something else.

2 Likes