Studio Design Refresh - Updated Icons & High DPI Capabilities

I appreciate Roblox’s efforts to improve the cosmetic part of Studio.
But first, I have to ask what I’ve asked several times and so far no one has answered:

When will Roblox devote so much energy for FIXING HUNDREDS OF BUGS, as it does for creating new ones?

3 Likes

thank you that actually be helpful to know.

but i also just realized. i could theoretically replace all the icons with stuff that is banned by the terms of use so how exactly will that be prevented.

This is a beta, bugs are to be expected, this is why it is a beta and what a beta is for. The topic of roblox ‘creating bugs’, isn’t entirely relevant as this is not a production update.

2 Likes

These icons look much better than the previous icon update, great job! :smiley:

Is there an option to define custom icons based on the current theme? For example, select a lighter set of icons for dark mode, and a darker set of icons for light mode. Studio appears to do something like this for the default icons.

Incidentally, the icons do not update when the theme is switched. e.g. If I switch from light to dark mode, the icons will continue to be the light mode variants until Studio is restarted:

RobloxStudioBeta_oMx31qonA0

2 Likes

Who else would be viewing your icons besides you? Your icon set doesn’t touch roblox’s servers as it is local.

edit: Additionally, this question is on par in goofiness as heading to Microsoft’s community forums and asking “How exactly would microsoft prevent windows users from having nsfw desktop wallpapers?”

2 Likes

well like say some one sent me a picture of their screen and it had the icons as that stuff like could i report them and they get potentially banned. if that makes more sense.

Looks great! Much better then the first version, gotta love roblox listening to the community (sometimes…)

How would that person go about sending you a picture of their screen anyways?

Do these script icon colors feel wrong to anyone else?

I feel like server scripts should be blue, local scripts should be orange, and then module scripts as white. The opposite of blue on the color wheel is orange, but if you compare all the script types, it doesn’t match up. With the current coloring, it forms an illusion that module scripts, because it’s colored orange, are the opposite of local scripts, which is colored blue, however that is not accurate.

Server scripts and local scripts, while having completely opposite run contexts, share a lot of the same functionality. This makes them more similar compared to each other than one of them compared to a module script. Module scripts are more or less the black sheep of all script classes, their run context is dependent on what script called require on it and they have to return a value. With this in mind, it makes sense to recolor these icons to correctly group together local scripts and server scripts.

3 Likes

well for windows computers. if you press [any shift key] +[s]+ [windows button] it brings up a newer version of the snippet tool which can take a picture of your whole entire screen.

-all of my studio icons are blurry

-my actual mouse position and my mouse icon are in 2 completely separate places, leading to a dummy cursor that does nothing and a invisible mouse

-lots of the non integral guis don’t scale properly (think anything other then explorer/properties tab, including plugins)

-the old fix I used to use (compatibility > set scaling to application) no longer works

overall, I think the high DPI experience has somehow been made worse… hoping you guys fix this all soon, especially the mouse problem; everything else is visual and can wait, but my mouse being not properly aligned has made it near impossible to develop.

1 Like

Can the old UI icons either not be fully deprecated or can there be an old UI icon pack released? I’m sure a few people will like the change, but a few will prefer the old UI icons and having the option to switch between the two will make everybody happy.

4 Likes

Yes, true, although I am asking, the means a user will transfer the screenshot to another. ie: off-platform, like discord

The only way to fix for now is to change your resolution to 1080px. Really unfortunate since I bought my computer for 4k resolution

2 Likes

Did you guys change something to the studio camera system? It felt weird. I’m having a slightly more difficult time rotating up & down in the new studio. New Studio now has 4k scaling so its crispy clear now.

3 Likes

Could I somehow be taken out of this release pipeline? My Roblox Studio is crashing whenever I go to add new Instances using the + icon in the explorer again, when it wasn’t doing this before. I had a situation in the past where a Roblox admin switched me to another channel to prevent the issue, however it caused my Roblox account to glitch out with games, and told me I was running outdated Roblox (impossible, btw)

I really dislike the crashing that this update gives, and working on games are literally impossible with this.

Am I the only one experiencing the issue??

1 Like

The base mouse movement off pixels I am assuming. So if you have a resolution higher than 1080 you have issues.

2 Likes

I have gotten used to higher dpi, although I can use 1080, it sucks and isnt a good experience. Semi wanting to get out my old 2012 macbook JUST to have working DPI scaling

3 Likes