Studio Design Refresh - Updated Icons & High DPI Capabilities

I bought a new computer last week and was excited it had 4k. Now I am back to 1080 until they fix this. Literally cannot use my mouse otherwise.

3 Likes

Increasing the mouse DPI sort of makes the experience feel a bit easier

1 Like

They shouldā€™ve used svgs instead of pngs for the icons.

3 Likes

To change the font go to file ā†’ studio settings ā†’ script editor ā†’ font. You can also change the colours of everything! I mean everything, variables, strings, everything. Have fun! :smiley:

1 Like

putting my resolution down to 1920x1080 is doing nothing for my mouseā€¦ loving this update more and more every second, especially with a large event happening later tonight that I still need to develop on!

2 Likes

Huge improvement over the previous version of these icons. All the different instance types are a lot easier to distinguish from each other now. Thanks for taking all the feedback into account!

2 Likes

Finally, after all these years, i can make this joke, thank you

11 Likes

Wow! The new design looks way better than the old one! This is definitely a nice refresh, and the icons do make their uses even clearer (if not clear already). This is a pretty good update! Canā€™t wait for its full release!

2 Likes

restart your computer after doing so. it worked for me. i also reinstalled studio before i restarted

2 Likes

Can confirm that it is causing reoccurring crashes. Iā€™ve been using Studio for quite some time and these crashes never existed. This UI update causes Direct3d11 to crash and so far, It happens when play testing. It also happened when I published to Roblox. Reverting back to the old UI for now. I canā€™t be productive in a crashing environment.

EDIT:

I reverted back, was play-testing and it still froze and crashed. What gives?

1 Like

Sure thereā€™s always room for improvement, but one goal of icons is to be simplistic and comprehensible- thereā€™s such thing as being too simplistic, but I donā€™t think this is it.

3 Likes

Does this fix the weird issue where, whenever studio updated, some DPI setting would become unchecked and Iā€™d have to go to the app properties and reset it? (if I didnā€™t check it, studio would become blurry the some gui would be a bit wonky). If it fixes that issue, this is a 10/10 update for me, fixing that DPI setting once every few days was getting pretty tedious.

1 Like

Completely unusuable for me now. When publishing it crashes, it crashes when you play test for a certain amount of time and just viewing the game world when not play testing. NEVER experienced before and it feels like my production has slowed down due to this.

2 Likes

For the square corner icons, I think thatā€™s to show that itā€™s a service. It appears to be the same icon for the ā€œInsert Serviceā€ button on the Model tab.

3 Likes

Its dull and gray, as it should be in a perfect worldā€¦ if your a pixie that is.
If it was any less fun, it would need a librarian. haaā€¦ haa haa, haa.
Iā€™m eating popcorn as iā€™m building right now, want some? its unsalted, unbuttered, and unpopped.

2 Likes

I really like these! They really give life into what felt like an outdated program for so long!

There are a couple things I noticed that could probably be tweaked:

• ReplicatedFirst and ReplicatedStorage should probably be the same color (replacing the yellow in the Storage icon with blue would be perfect)
    26 - 21-01-07

• CanvasGroup, VideoFrame, and ScrollingFrame icons should have orange icons to match the other Frame icons and make it easier to find them.
    26 - 21-10-04
    26 - 21-09-42
    26 - 21-17-06

• Server scripts should have a green icon instead of the white icon to match the rest of the green icons used for server related things
    26 - 21-12-08

Other than that, I feel this update is pretty golden.

Edit: I made my own pack of tweaks for this, if anyone is interested

11 Likes

Okay, this is nice.

I really like this! It genuinely looks tons better than the original icons (in which, if I remember were fromā€¦ A different game/engine? I think Source?? Not entirely sure.) and this is definitely a change for the better.
Well done.

2 Likes

I think the new icons are overall a cool change, but a problem I noticed is how some of the smaller ones still appear fuzzy when I have my scaling @ 125% on a 1440p monitor. For example:

• the ribbon (as shown by the top two arrows, 1st screenshot)
  • dock buttons (as shown by the bottom two arrows, 1st screenshot)
  • checkboxes (as shown by the 2nd screenshot)

Screenshot_252

Screenshot_253

Any chance that these icons will also be updated as part of the design refresh later?

EDIT: Found out that the icons (except the Team Create connection status) donā€™t appear fuzzy at 175% and up scaling, at least on my end, but still wondering whether this issue will still be fixed for 125-150%.

2 Likes

Finally, something that doesnā€™t look so monotone! Everything was just blue in the last design, and it sucked. This is more tolerable!

With these, you can actually tell just by looking at the icon what the object is supposed to do.
For example, these:

4 Likes

Hello, is there any reason behind the fact that I canā€™t see any icons in Asset Manager and Terrain editor?

@tnavarts

1 Like